Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 PM

558 posts, read 818,986 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think of night sights for pistols and shotguns? I've had Trijicon sights installed on my Glock for a while now, but I've never practiced low-light shooting until recently. Having done it, I can say this: I'm much more comfortable and effective shooting one-handed while holding my flashlight FBI style than I am with the night sights. I never realized just how hard it was to see a target clearly at night. My opinion is that night sights might be useful for low-light conditions where there may be enough light to see the target, but not quite enough to see the front sight easily. (Maybe that would be the case in urban areas.) But overall, I think I'd rather have a flashlight.

I thought about installing some tritium ghost rings on my home defense shotgun (mossberg 590), but I'm ambivalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
They help in low light to a degree, but at a point they interfere with your eyes ability to see in the dark. Nothing will ever replace a flashlight short of night vision. But then a flashlight makes a great target itself. I dont sweat that stuff.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:51 AM

817 posts, read 2,189,041 times
How about laser sights? Would they be any good in the dark?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:18 AM

558 posts, read 818,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
How about laser sights? Would they be any good in the dark?
I don't have any experience w/ lasers, but I think the red dot quivering and jumping around on the target would drive me crazy. I'd probably try to over-aim it. I know they make small revolvers with integrated lasers. So, maybe they have their place.

I think I will stick with the tritium sights and flashlight. The only problem I've had with them is that I got into a habit of lining up the dots during the day when I should have been focusing on the top edge of the black part of the sights (specifically, of the front sight) and ignoring the dots. Live and learn. Are they useful? I don't know.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I don't like the tritium sights. As you and others have said, nothing really replaces a flashlight. Also, have you ever had someone light your face with a Surefire in the dark? Its very unpleasant and disorienting. Unless you are expecting it I don't know that it would actually make a good target. It would probably just be the last thing you ever saw.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:59 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
I hate glow sights. They distract me. And lasers are OK, I guess, but to me they compromise your position, and put your focus on the dot and not the target. Some folks love them, some hate them, it's all what you like. I have a Walther P22 , with a laser on it, and I like to shoot vermin around the place after dark with it. Civilized? No. Fun yes...but not civilized. However for serious 'social work' I'd leave the glow sights and lasers, and many competitions ban lasers. A good set of BoMars et al are just fine with me.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:41 PM

990 posts, read 2,557,930 times
As a personal opinion, Laser's stink !!!! VERY SLOW and "bouncy", actually making it more difficult to aim. If there is more than one employed on your side, there is no way to determine which of the "dots" is yours and guys begin to weave around their pistols attempting to put another guys "dot" where HE wants it.

Tritium sights. A tool sent from the Gods !!! wonderful devices.

The only down side, being able to destroy a target that you can not fully identify.

Lastly, most nighttime defensive shooting takes place at VERY short distances. For the most part, this type of shooting is mostly instinctive.
(point, squeeze, hit, repeat as necessary).

BTW, You really do "fight as you train". I think many would be surprised at how training becomes instinctive, and in times of high stress is employed with no forethought.

For those that are wondering, I have seen the Elephant! and he is a scary beast indeed.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:21 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
They do have some green lasers that can be seen easier now, I don't have one yet.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:02 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Just wait, and aim 60 degrees and one to two feet down and to the right of the (incoming) muzzle flash. There's your night sights.

Oh, and hope he's a rightie.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:01 AM

820 posts, read 1,203,112 times
Flashlight to make positive ID of individual ( lethal danger or not?) and to blind a possible threat.
Switch off light , move , engage if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting