Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM

11 posts, read 34,313 times

Advertisements

One thing I can say if you like Antiques. Where I am stationed at right now for the next two weeks before I go home. they have plenty of Enfield hand gun with a date stamped 1835. They also have rifles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:12 PM

13,609 posts, read 21,399,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIwil View Post
Well as for me I am moving soon to Erie, Pa from Brooklyn New York. Right now I am only shooting my M16 and My M9. Yes I am currently deployed in Afghanistan. Once I get back to the states I will love to keep up with my target shooting and such. What is the NRA and how do you become a member? Two of the reasons I am leaving NY is 1 its to dam expensive. 2 no gun law thank god. Once I become a home owner in PA I am going to the gun shop and picking up my first gun. Does anyone have a suggestion on which would be the best for a first time buyer. remember I have shot them before. so a .22 is good for my 10yr old not me.
a .22 is good for everybody!,specially given ammo price increases recently.A .22 is a less expensive (and still fun) way to maintain your skills.

Other than that,well you have alot of options depending on what you want to do.Actually the AR-15 have come down in prices (for now) and as you know the M16 is a very accurate rifle.Ammo isn't cheap anymore though,expect to pay $8 to $12 per 20 rounds for standard surplus ammo,2 years ago the prices were half that.

9mm is still a economical round,and the M9 is a accurate user friendly pistol.Russian 7.62x39mm is a economical round and SKS-AK's are not too expensive though don't expect super accuracy on paper though.

It all depends on what you want and how much you are willing spend.Join the CMP and get a Garand,they are awesome!

stay safe bro,cheers

Old 03-18-2008, 05:17 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
I'll vote for a 22 also, cheap to shoot and lots of fun, I have a ruger 1022 with a target barrel and synthetic stock, I enjoy it just as much as any rifle I own.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:15 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times
I'll be the third to vote for a .22, for all the same reasons already given. I have three of them in my collection, one semi-auto rifle (Ruger 10/22), and two pistols. I am thinking about also getting a .22 lever action rifle, just because they're fun to shoot. .22s are fun and very inexpensive compared to anything in a centerfire caliber.

I would suggest getting something else besides a 22 as well. Some of the larger calibers make great defense weapons, such as the .40 S&W, .357 Magnum, or .45 ACP. They are also a lot of fun to shoot, but cost a lot more to shoot than a .22.

As for the question about the NRA, here is some info: The NRA is a lobbying organization that lobbies for protection of gun rights for American citizens. I feel it is a very important organization to belong to for all gun owners, for the simple reason that they are there to defend the rights of gun owners in a society that is becoming more anti-gun as time goes on. It is very easy to join. Visit nra.org and click on the join now link. You can find lots of other useful information on the site as well.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I have been in the NRA for quite a while. They support many useful activities but they will be continuing to ask for money for their political activities beyond protecting the rights of gun owners.

I have an ancient Mossberg .22 that I really like. I can usually hit a tennis ball at 100 yds some of the time. The rest of the time I scare it.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Quote:
Well as for me I am moving soon to Erie, Pa from Brooklyn New York. Right now I am only shooting my M16 and My M9. Yes I am currently deployed in Afghanistan. Once I get back to the states I will love to keep up with my target shooting and such. What is the NRA and how do you become a member? Two of the reasons I am leaving NY is 1 its to dam expensive. 2 no gun law thank god. Once I become a home owner in PA I am going to the gun shop and picking up my first gun. Does anyone have a suggestion on which would be the best for a first time buyer. remember I have shot them before. so a .22 is good for my 10yr old not me.
.22 LR or .22 magnum, either rifle or pistol are good starter guns. Ruger, Mossberg and Remington make really good rimfire guns.

If you decide to get centerfire weapons, most handgun and rifle calibers are very good, the only handgun caliber I'd stay away from is the 25 ACP. A .22 LR is more potent than the 25 ACP, and I've heard stories of people shooting their handguns with that caliber in self defense situations, and even with firing multiple rounds, it failed to bring down the attacker at distances greater than 15 yards.

If you have time, think about reloading, it's a good hobby and you'll save a lot of money on ammo. You'll pay for the reloading gear in a short period of time, depending on how much you shoot.

I've been a life member of the NRA since 1986, and joining does have many benefits. Check out their website National Rifle Association - NRA Website Gateway (http://www.nra.org - broken link) I believe they have a link or something you can use to join.

Have fun.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
It really depends what you want out of the gun. I'd get a pistol permit right away & a decent carry piece. At least a .380 but 9MM is better & if you can carry it comfy a 45 is better yet in many peoples opinion. I'm very comfy with a 9MM but carry a .380 more often.

As far as a rifle will you be hunting, target shooting, plinking?

I simply couldn't get by with only one gun.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Default Tinkering.

I got a 39M from a member of another forum about a year or so ago. Great little gun but the stock was beat up & had a couple deep gouges.
I was bored & ended up stripping it & reshaping it both to get rid of the gouges & to make it more to my liking.

While I was down there I figured I should do something with this pile of 1889 parts,

They aint really all 1889 parts. I fitted a 336 trigger & sear in because I couldn't find 1889 parts.
Theyre different but very similar. They are both 2 pieces but inside out so to speak. The 336 has the sear straddle the trigger where pined together while the 89 was the other way round.
Anyway geometrically theyre almost identicle. Took some work to get it to swing freely & then I thought I was done. But when I put the gun together I found that the bolt just barely cocked the hammer m0st times with no overtravel, sometimes it didn't even ****. The 336 sear is just a tad taller. I couldnt grind it shorter tho because I had already deepened & dressed up the broken half **** notch. Dropping the sear would have the hammer resting on the fireing pin. Not acceptable for me. So I had a clock maker/gunsmith/ffl holder/all around great guy/ neighbor friend move the **** notch on the hammer a few thousandths until it cocked in the same place as my others. All thats left is to work on the right leg of the sear to get the trigger block saftey working. It looks to be real easy.

This is the barrel on the gun now. Its ringed in a couple places,

This is the barrel it will be wearing soon. Its a 1889 38/40 barrel thats been reblued but the bores shot. I'll get it relined as soon as I get my 1894 back.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 PM

11 posts, read 34,313 times
Thank you guys.. lots of good information. I will reconsider the .22 for target practice and i will look further into another for protection. Now let me take a look at the NRA.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Heres the newest edition to the Roaddog family, TC Contender carbine in .223
Attached Thumbnails
Any Gun Enthusiasts Here?-100_0880.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting