Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 05:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times

Advertisements

Just thought Id pop this thread in to show off my little find this morning at the flea market.

Iverson Super Timber African Blackwood.

Retail 150.00

Picked it for 5.00

Also got a Faulks C-44 Goose and a 8 in 1 call. Oh and a lanyard.

$200 worth of calls for 15 bucks.

I also had the opportunity to get 2 dozen out of production NIB made in Italy Carry-lite inflatable mallard decoys for 30 bucks but didnt pull the trigger. I think I screwed the pooch on that one.

Just restrung all the dekes for next season this weekend and put them in up in the rafters. All ready starting to jones for next season.

Any call or decoy collectors here?

Oh yeah I got a woody. Of course I mean wood duck:

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 03-20-2013 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I don't know what it is about April, but I have the bug really bad right now. My father and I had a scotch or two while we restrung decoys last weekend, I've been keeping my lanyard in the car to entertain myself during the commute, started earnest training with my dog, I started shopping for new guns, scouted a potential duck lease with a group of friends and I fell pray to the marketing venture that is A&E's Duck Dynasty (I now own a DC gadwall and Triple Threat).

I did manage to keep it in my pants and not buy a new shotgun. Seeing the ducks flying the other way just sets me off somehow.

The dog has it just as bad. When I brought my shotgun out for maintenance he was jumping in place 6' off the ground and yodeling.

Nice pickup, by the way. I'll bet you had a hard time keeping a straight face while the sale closed and you probably ran to your car.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:49 PM

Whew almost 24 hours before another post. Thanks jimbo, I thought I was the only lunatic that got goosebumps from listening to the sweet sounds of professional callers while drinking beer and stringing dekes.

Oh yeah for some reason I got the itch real bad this year. Usually happens when I have to start filling out the deer hunting applications and getting the Fish and Game brochures in the mail.

Oye vey its gonna be a long summer.

Yeah, didn't run but flew to my truck.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Quack, quack, quack....oh how I long to here those musical notes in the fall.

Another reason to move back up North....Really miss the hunting up around Colusa in the 60's.

Good find for you BDD....

I do have a good bunch of doves starting to show up and keeping the ground corn and water out for um.

HW

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Quack, quack, quack....oh how I long to here those musical notes in the fall.

Another reason to move back up North....Really miss the hunting up around Colusa in the 60's.

Good find for you BDD....

I do have a good bunch of doves starting to show up and keeping the ground corn and water out for um.

HW
Leased out a duck blind up in Glenn County by Paradise in the mid 1990's. Smack dab in the middle of all the refuges. Man that was some good huntin.

I was checking the duck clubs up there and WOW a lotof them are for sale. If you got 500k you can put yourself in some of the best duck hunting territory in the nation.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Leased out a duck blind up in Glenn County by Paradise in the mid 1990's. Smack dab in the middle of all the refuges. Man that was some good huntin.

I was checking the duck clubs up there and WOW a lotof them are for sale. If you got 500k you can put yourself in some of the best duck hunting territory in the nation.
Now I'm going to sound real stupid. Duck blind, lease? We go out in a boat and shoot ducks, we don't have to lease anything. I'm getting the hint that that's not how it is everywhere else.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Now I'm going to sound real stupid. Duck blind, lease? We go out in a boat and shoot ducks, we don't have to lease anything. I'm getting the hint that that's not how it is everywhere else.
There is a lot of coastline in Texas that can be hunted without leasing and there are a number of public hunting options, but anything within easy driving distance of Houston, DFW or any population center is going to be raked over, crowded and sometimes dangerous as ****. If it's public and you can walk to it from your car, you're going to be way too close to some of the worst callers and most unscrupulous shooters with the worst dogs imagineable, so if you set out a good spread and the birds want to come to you, those guys 70 yards down the bank are going to figure out that the birds are passing them over and start sky blasting before they ever get to you. If you want good hunting without a lot of competition in Texas you're probably going to join a hunting club or have a private lease or you're going to have an airboat.

This year is going to be very interesting. Much of the rice farming in Texas is along the Colorado river and that corridor is usually where some of the best hunting is, however, it looks like irrigation water for the rice fields will be capped this year in response to the drought. It's anyone's guess where the hunting will be, but I'm probably going to spend some gas money driving between Houston and Bay City / Matagorda / Rockport or maybe on the East side of Anahuac.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
No your not stupid. That's one of several ways I duck hunt here in Norcal. Everything that jimbo stated and.........

You have to realize with a blind lease your renting out an area that is all yours no competion with other hunters. This one was three rice fields with two three man blinds. You can set out all your decoys on flooded fields at the begining of the season and leave them out all season. The blinds are buried in the middle of the dikes between the fields. We parked an RV nearby for the days we were hunting usually every weekend and sometimes during the week. Also if you rented from one year to another you could hunt pheasants and other upland game like doves and quail during those seasons.

These blinds are located in one of the most concentrated parts of the Pacific flyway. We limited out almost every time we hunted. Ducks and geese. Well worth the 500 dollars per man for the season.

One of the nice things about the blinds is that you can hunt no matter what the weather conditions. One weekend we had a storm that was dropping funnel clouds down in our area we just huddled in the blind dropped the lids had some brandy and waited for them to pass.

One thing also since we leased from a hunting club that worked with multiple farmers and ranchers with wet lands we would regularly switch hunting areas with other hunting groups that had other opportunities. Example our fields were really good for green heads, pintails and honkers. However others areas were really good for teal, canvasbacks, golden eyes, wood ducks and snow geese.

Did that for four seasons. Got real busy after that and couldn't dedicate the time anymore.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
Duck Dynasty fan? You should check out this tribute video I found.

Duck Dynasty Tribute-"Boom Boom Splash Splash" - YouTube

Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_Woman79 View Post
Duck Dynasty fan? You should check out this tribute video I found.

Duck Dynasty Tribute-"Boom Boom Splash Splash" - YouTube
Never a big fan of the Duck Commander calls so they never got my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting