Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:43 PM

716 posts, read 558,720 times

Advertisements

One last point I would like to make...Though I'm not worried very much about recoil in firearms using SAAMI factory loads and reloads that fall within the same specs, I am worried about loads that are too hot as every shooter should be. Being able to "handle it" and grenaded firearms are two different balls of wax! http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog...amtkaboom2.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:34 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,941 times
If really only an issue for me in 2 scenarios: a. if I need to get a quick and accurate second shot off. There's more recovery time with greater recoil. b. If i'm shooting a hundred or more targets (with a shotgun) my shoulders will know if the recoil is too great!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
....................... For me, wider grips dissipate the recoil to a significant degree.........................................
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
.......................................... Thinner grips (less wide) dissipate recoil............................................ .................
//////

Old 06-09-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Oh my gawwwd, I just watched that video for the first time. I wonder where that bullet went?!?! I don't think she knows or wants to. Shame on you fellas for letting her shoot that. That's how people get shot standing next to her minding their own business and CONTROLLING their own weapons!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Here's another...This dingbat is walking with a chambered round and his finger on the trigger! He trips and the weapon double taps on him under the recoil. If your grip isn't good enough and you're not ready for it, things like that could happen. Thank goodness no one got hurt!

This guy trips over and fire gun twice - YouTube

Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I fail to see what these utube videos have to do with a discussion on recoil. Get back on track.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:20 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,290,066 times
The only handguns I've had a problem with in regard to recoil are very light polymer semi-autos (such as the Kel-Tec PF-9), and the S&W Airweight revolvers in magnum calibers. A friend has an airweight .357 with a rosewood grip that feels like getting smacked in the hand with a piece of lumber. And my boyfriend has an airweight .44 that's not quite as bad thanks to the rubber grip, except when it's loaded with Buffalo Bore rounds, which are standard for hiking around here. I don't know a single person who finds it pleasant to shoot, but it's a good one to carry out in the woods. My main concern with it is repeat-fire accuracy, because in the only case I'd be using it I think I'll have enough adrenaline pumping to not feel too much discomfort from the recoil itself.

If the purpose of the weapon is to potentially save my life from a charging brown bear, then I'll carry something that sucks to shoot because it's light enough to always have with me and (hopefully) powerful enough to do the job. And even for that I'm thinking I'd prefer a standard-weight snubby .44. But I see no point in shooting something with a lot of recoil, especially snappy recoil, when I don't have to. I shoot for fun, and I like to go through a lot of rounds and work on accuracy. If I'm out shooting for fun, I'm not going to shoot something that hurts because I'm not a masochist and I've got no need to prove how tough I am.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,103 times
eCertain caliber/rifle combinations seem to recoil less than other COMPARABLE calicer/rifle combinations..(with ALL other factors being equal)......at least that is my opinon based on my own experience shooting the following calibers and guns on my 100 yards range and shooting fom a bench.

........Examples are as follows: I shoot a 375 H&H Mag, loaded to Max and pushes a 300 gr Nosler out at approx 2685 fps at muzzle; 24" barrel and the powder used is IMR 4350. "Max" is determined by "miking the Belt" and when a true 1/1000th of an inch growth is obverserved on the belt.........a max load has been reached, AND working loads in that rifle are then reduced by 1/2 of a grain..........NOW, the Felt recoil is obviously noticeable but it is a bit less noticeable than when I shoot a 250gr bullet of of my Win .338 Mag----also loaded to max.,,,,,,,.....IMHO, the difference is that the 375 gives the shooter a "SOLID_PUSH"......where as the .338 gives you a quick/sharp whak.....Same think applies with a 45/70 (350 gr bullet) vs a Winchester 300 Magnum and a 250 gr bullet. I notice the 300 Win more than the 45/70.......................Again stock fit, weight & design have to be quite similiar to come up with a valid comparison.

Just like the difference between hitting your buddy with your fist on his arm with a closed fist from 3 inches away, VS hitting him with the same closed fist from 18 inches away.

Jusy my humble opinion (analysys) which may or may not be correct. If you have the chance try the 375 vs 338 comparison some time ........you might be surprised.

Last edited by Montana Griz; 06-09-2012 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: made a correction

Old 06-10-2012, 12:53 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
I have always loved heavy recoil in the past. I loaded some handloads that had no business in a handgun.
As I have aged and loss some body and hand strength I now prefer stock and standard factory loads.
I now enjoy my 44 special loads in my Redhawk. My next purchase will be a Blackhawk in 44 special in the small 357 frame.
I will continue to shoot my magnum loads but I can see where some people would be concerned.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
For myself, I've never been too concerned with recoil and I own a S&W .500 Mag. Shoots pretty smooth.

Where recoil has concerned me is training others. I mean, I want them to get a good feel for a handgun or large bore, but I don't want to scare the hell out of them. It's my responsibility, when training somebody, to make sure they enjoy their experience and when they feel they want to step up to something larger, I'm there to help with that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting