Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:40 AM

716 posts, read 558,451 times

Advertisements

The point I was making was that a large enough caliber (like say a .45 ACP in a 1911) CAN and will "double" "bump fire" (whatever you want to call it) under it's own recoil. The loose grip on said weapon is what caused it. I think just about everybody has seen the semi auto handgun double on the range before. That is if you spend much time at one. Sooner or later you'll see one, that's a given. I've also seen recoil doubling when guys have tried to learn the reset on their pistol for the first time. So yes, recoil, trigger control and grip strength are something to be concerned with when selecting a suitable caliber. That woman above^ is damn lucky she didn't shoot herself in the chin. It sure looked pretty close in that video. Does anyone remember the young kid a few years back that shot himself and died with the micro UZI because his dad thought a five year old (or something) could handle a FULL AUTO micro UZI? Recoil and his ability to control "it" should have been looked at beforehand. He'd still be with us if he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
For myself, I've never been too concerned with recoil and I own a S&W .500 Mag. Shoots pretty smooth.

Where recoil has concerned me is training others. I mean, I want them to get a good feel for a handgun or large bore, but I don't want to scare the hell out of them. It's my responsibility, when training somebody, to make sure they enjoy their experience and when they feel they want to step up to something larger, I'm there to help with that too.
I too have the S&W .500 Mag.... I found its recoil rather punishing, even for a gun that weighs so much. On the other hand, I have the S&W Model 29 .44 Mag... and that is an absolute joy... dead accurate, and could fire it with just three fingers (well, I wouldn't do that).... The S&W 4506 .45 has a fairly good kick to it too. What I really didn't like were the larger-bore Glocks, as they are so lightweight that all the recoil energy goes into the shooter.

Maybe I am just a wimp, but I have a Barrett .50, and I can shoot about ten shots until I am essentially done, and the recoil is nasty. I don't feel it until the next day, and think "hey, who punched me in the shoulder"

I digress, as this should be a topic for another thread, but one thing that has bothered me is not so much the recoil, but the muzzle flash from my M60... can't even see what I am shooting at.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:23 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Just to add my experience to the mix.

When I first started shooting I was like a lot of novices concerned about recoil, as time went on I became less concerned and actively pursued it, there's nothing that says you dropped that hammer than a hard recoil. Now I'm back to being concerned, but for different reasons, I'm concerned about it because it takes my point of aim off the target, no matter how light the loading or how technically able I am to deal with the recoil or even if I feel it (like Jimbo said above, if I'm shooting something I just don't feel it), that point of aim is going to move, and I need to bring it back into line before I take my next shot. Ultimately recoil is an unwanted side effect, my ideal firearm would have none (but that isn't going to happen with the current technology), but all things being equal including caliber between two guns I'll be taking the one with the lower felt recoil.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM

197 posts, read 299,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
Here's another...This dingbat is walking with a chambered round and his finger on the trigger! He trips and the weapon double taps on him under the recoil. If your grip isn't good enough and you're not ready for it, things like that could happen. Thank goodness no one got hurt!

Grip had sod all to do with that one , his finger shouldn't have been through the guard.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I too have the S&W .500 Mag.... I found its recoil rather punishing, even for a gun that weighs so much. On the other hand, I have the S&W Model 29 .44 Mag... and that is an absolute joy... dead accurate, and could fire it with just three fingers (well, I wouldn't do that).... The S&W 4506 .45 has a fairly good kick to it too. What I really didn't like were the larger-bore Glocks, as they are so lightweight that all the recoil energy goes into the shooter.

Maybe I am just a wimp, but I have a Barrett .50, and I can shoot about ten shots until I am essentially done, and the recoil is nasty. I don't feel it until the next day, and think "hey, who punched me in the shoulder"

I digress, as this should be a topic for another thread, but one thing that has bothered me is not so much the recoil, but the muzzle flash from my M60... can't even see what I am shooting at.

YEAH we believe ya possess all the above , sure we do. Say since ya have all this experience with the N frame Smiths , what commonly happens when you start pounding a model 29 with the same loads that a Ruger , Dan Wesson or F.A. digests with impunity?

And " oh the larger bore Glocks are ever so light".............WHICH GLOCK , cause news for ya , the full sizes aren't really any lighter as an average than most the other poly-framed sidearms.

So run along and cull out some more " firearm names" to put up in another post to impress folks who are impressed by such things , however just know that there's a buncha *actual* shooting folk lauging at you there Sparks.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
Grip had sod all to do with that one , his finger shouldn't have been through the guard.
No it shouldn't have. That's like in the top three rules of safety. However, it did show how a semi automatic can "double" under it's own recoil. Here's a closer look at how that CAN and does happen for the folks who have never seen it before. YES, I've seen plenty of 1911's with light triggers double under their own recoil for a new shooter that was not ready for it and it SCARED THE HELL outta them and myself as well as everyone around them. Get a good grip on that thing PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Colt 1911 bump fire - YouTube

Last edited by BBandit; 06-10-2012 at 12:27 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBandit View Post
No it shouldn't have. That's like in the top three rules of safety. However, it did show how a semi automatic can "double" under it's own recoil. Here's a closer look at how that CAN and does happen for the folks who have never seen it before. YES, I've seen plenty of 1911's with light triggers double under their own recoil for a new shooter that was not ready for it and it SCARED THE HELL outta them and myself as well as everyone around them. Get a good grip on that thing PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

Colt 1911 bump fire - YouTube

You're preaching to the choir on the above. There are a lot of other items that bear addressing , for instance you see a lot of folks limpwrist Glocks and come up with a jam.

In general I've started to avoid some public access ranges due to idiots such as you describe.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
You're preaching to the choir on the above. There are a lot of other items that bear addressing , for instance you see a lot of folks limpwrist Glocks and come up with a jam.

In general I've started to avoid some public access ranges due to idiots such as you describe.
So true and they wonder why they can't run a mag without a malfunction. Hey man, my sister has a stronger grip than you do! lol I've seen GLOCKs, Sigs and just about any other semi auto hangun double at some point in time. On a double action (ie Sig Sauer, Beretta etc..) the single action trigger reset was the culprit. Some guys like to shoot off reset and some don't. If you are going to do that, at least practice with dryfires and limit rapid fire to two or three CONTROLLED rounds at a time. Then the rest of us won't have to keep looking over our shoulder and keeping our heads down.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

It also depends on which .500 you have. Mine has a 8 3/8 barrel with a muzzle break. A buddy of mine has a shorter barrel and NO muzzle break and that gun hurts. He also has a collection of .44 mags and my .500 is smoother than his .44's. At least I think so and he agrees. But all of his .44 mags are short guns, the longest being a 6 inch barrel. Why on earth a person would want a .44 mag in a 4 inch barrel is beyond me, specially due to the fact that he does not carry. He spends a lot of time on the mountain as he runs about 500 head of cattle up there on range land, so he carry's a .44 mag in defense of bears and mountain lions while working his cattle.

I will say this, my .500 is a nice gun to shoot and the recoil is a lot less than I thought it would be, however, it is not a gun that you want to go plinking beer cans all afternoon. 10-15 rounds at the range is enough for one day.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
It also depends on which .500 you have. Mine has a 8 3/8 barrel with a muzzle break. A buddy of mine has a shorter barrel and NO muzzle break and that gun hurts. He also has a collection of .44 mags and my .500 is smoother than his .44's. At least I think so and he agrees. But all of his .44 mags are short guns, the longest being a 6 inch barrel. Why on earth a person would want a .44 mag in a 4 inch barrel is beyond me, specially due to the fact that he does not carry. He spends a lot of time on the mountain as he runs about 500 head of cattle up there on range land, so he carry's a .44 mag in defense of bears and mountain lions while working his cattle.

I will say this, my .500 is a nice gun to shoot and the recoil is a lot less than I thought it would be, however, it is not a gun that you want to go plinking beer cans all afternoon. 10-15 rounds at the range is enough for one day.
I've toyed with the idea of buying one. From what I've seen the muzzlebreak and ported barrel makes a big difference. Some say the recoil is less punishing than a S&W model 29 or Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Mag. It's more of a "push" than a "snap". Definately want to reload for that one if you are going to do much blasting. What's a box of factory 25 cost nowadays... 40 bucks? Oooouch!! Reload city and dies here I come. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting