Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,946,552 times

Advertisements

I'm an FFL and I get loads of distributor's mailings. Lew Horton is a premier specialized handguns. Right now, wholesale, he's got an admittedly machine roll-marked but v. nicely embellished (incl. the Concalo Alves [sp?] grips) M29 in 4".

Just like I carried for so many years in the Arctic before I had it butchered (it turned out) by [Mod cut] in SoCal. I wanted a slimish silhouette bbl on it just like the one S&W had just come out with, but they created a bull-ended monster that also spat lead out the sides when fired, and then they also matte finished it. Not what I'd asked for! V. sad; it had been an excellent carry gun in the deep northern woods! I even have the lefty high-rise holster for it as well.

Hmmmmm... Beating heart rate rises. Eyes fog up. Left hand grows steadier.. even in my old (65, man!) years!

And here it is: It's "only" $799. OK, about $825 with shipping. Wonder what they sell for, ≈, retail $$$....

(Just found it: here's Lew's retail listings. yikes! Just a basic Mdl 29's full-on MSRP retail is about $1200! Street price prob'ly still at least in the $900s, huh? Wow! Good deal. How many should I order up here for the team? At about, to you guyz, oh.... $875? Plus shipping?

S&W Classics)

Sound like a good deal from you guys? Huh? Is it dad? Is it? Can I have it for Christmas, mummy?

Oh lawdy it looks so...comfy!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Liable issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 02:15 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,150,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I'm an FFL and I get loads of distributor's mailings. Lew Horton is a premier specialized handguns. Right now, wholesale, he's got an admittedly machine roll-marked but v. nicely embellished (incl. the Concalo Alves [sp?] grips) M29 in 4".

Just like I carried for so many years in the Arctic before I had it butchered (it turned out) by [Mod cut] in SoCal. I wanted a slimish silhouette bbl on it just like the one S&W had just come out with, but they created a bull-ended monster that also spat lead out the sides when fired, and then they also matte finished it. Not what I'd asked for! V. sad; it had been an excellent carry gun in the deep northern woods! I even have the lefty high-rise holster for it as well.

Hmmmmm... Beating heart rate rises. Eyes fog up. Left hand grows steadier.. even in my old (65, man!) years!

And here it is: It's "only" $799. OK, about $825 with shipping. Wonder what they sell for, ≈, retail $$$....

(Just found it: here's Lew's retail listings. yikes! Just a basic Mdl 29's full-on MSRP retail is about $1200! Street price prob'ly still at least in the $900s, huh? Wow! Good deal. How many should I order up here for the team? At about, to you guyz, oh.... $875? Plus shipping?

S&W Classics)

Sound like a good deal from you guys? Huh? Is it dad? Is it? Can I have it for Christmas, mummy?

Oh lawdy it looks so...comfy!
I had a 629 sold it bought an Anaconda, sold it for 1k and bought a 425 ruger redhawk and its as good as any of the other two and half the price.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,021,846 times
If you get the M 29 and it hurts your elbows, don't worry just send it to me..... I got a buddy with a real nice old one from the time they were first out and about, and i am hoping he will just give it to me someday too.

After 4 strokes he can't use it....

Old 12-15-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If you get the M 29 and it hurts your elbows, don't worry just send it to me..... I got a buddy with a real nice old one from the time they were first out and about, and i am hoping he will just give it to me someday too.

After 4 strokes he can't use it....
Yeah... the recoil is, however, quite tame compared to my later bear gun, a special bbl length [9"] Freedom Arms .454 Casull, which, even with MagNaPorting on the muzzle end produces a near-vertical muzzle climb. They did knew what they were about, design-wise, with the v. smooth and rapidly tapering (at the top) grips, which allows the gun to rise in your hand.

The cheaper Sporter version with it's stickier rubber grips, produced unpleasant results for most users. Ditto with the Ruger Snubbie (in .454 C? WTF?) which is also a Double Action, and hence the rip shape transmits most all the recoil into the palm of your hand! There, it does some serious "ganglionic adjustments" in your shootin' hand!)

Meantime, my original M29 also had the fully supported cartridge rim via a different cylinder configuration. I'd rather have that, but it prob'ly makes no functional diff. Also, S&W used o spend extra time on these as well as some of their classic Mdl 66 revolvers. They had a beautifully slick action, and came with a fantastic trigger. All of it once rivaled the famous Colt Python's trigger and smoothness, I wonder how the Smiths come out now... probably not as good; what production firearm now is as good as they were 30 yrs ago?

With reasonable loads, these M29s are v. shootable, even in a 4" bbl config. They can shoot the nice .44Special with ease, and with all those load and velocity options, are quite effective @ reasonable handgun ranges, being more than adequate for even well-stalked deer (≈ 50 yds), feral hogs, etc. ('Course, if you really want to drop a hog @ 100 yds, go with the FA .454; a 300 gr hard-cast boolit @ 1800+ fps! Yikers!)

Now if S&W were pushing a .45ACP (with moon clips) version, I'd go for that in a heartbeat. It's just not that common. (think think... I can still get one of them ones later too, can't I dad? Mom? )

Well, still, no one here has said I should go for it! I'll wait a bit longer to hear from you guyz.... try to help an old guy, would you. (See, then I can print off the pages & pages of healthy support and show them to my somewhat more frugal, as regards firearms that is, hubby...)

PS: Our thoughts and sincere prayers should continue to go out to those victims & families in Connecticutt.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:43 AM

385 posts, read 616,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I'm an FFL and I get loads of distributor's mailings.
Ditto. Love it when the catalogs come in - eye candy!

BTW in case you aren't there yet, check out FFLOnly Forum • Index page - everyone on the forum is a licensee in the business.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:44 AM

Thanks bcr229! Joined up just now! Wowee: discussions and coffee klatches amongst the tired and weary set, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting