Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times

Advertisements

I live in the woods and like to go casually walking in it regularly. I periodically take my dog along too (a smallish 30 pound or so "mutt".) About 2 months ago I spotted 2 small (baby?) wild pigs, for the first time ever in 5+ years. Upon seeing me they took off and ran away from me. As regularly as I walk in the woods, I'd never seen any before and 2-odd months later I've not seen any since.

At the same time I've been pondering getting a. 38 special revolver for home defense and casual "scare away the critters" uses with subsequent walks in the woods. I have a. 22 rifle currently but (1) the bullets are still impossible to find and (2) I like how a revolver at "rest" isn't in a cocked state but can easily be cocked and subsequently be de-cocked (without having to empty the chamber etc) something my. 22 rifle doesn't do nor do many automatic pistols from what I've seen. Also I don't have the inclination to spend $700+ on a high caliber weapon, $250-300 for a Taurus snub-nosed. 38 special is perfect for me.

A. 38 special seemed to be the perfect caliber until I saw the 2 pigs, now I wonder if I'd be best served going for a .357 magnum or even a. 44. Part of me thinks I'm overreacting since that is the only time I've ever seen ANY wild animal beyond the occasional deer or armadillo. I have no interest in hunting beyond self defense or "pest control," on the other hand I wonder if the presence of those 2 pigs means more are likely to be spotted in the future. If so, at that point I'd be of the inclination of desiring to kill them due to the problems they can cause.

Maybe I should stick with the. 38 for home and buy a 12 gauge pump and load it with slugs and only bother toting it if other hogs are spotted? Then again someone told me "slug" ammunition is EXPENSIVE and besides I'd been looking for something I could strap to my ankle in a holster and forget about unless the need arose. (Or could a 12 gauge be at least more portable than my. 22 rifle if I sawed the barrel down to 18.5 inches and installed a pistol grip?)

For the record I live in the woods of eastern Texas.

Tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
44 mag is expensive to even reload. Brass is harder to find ect, and its not as good for home defense as a 357 IMO. A 357 is much better than a 38 special, in that you can shoot 38 out of it and loading is cheap. The only 38 IMO that is better than a 357 is the small snub that you may use for CCW. I know of people who use a 357 rifle for hog hunting. It would not be a problem for me to use a 357 revolver on a hog. If you load you can load lead for 36 bucks for 500 plus primers and powder. Taurus makes a fine revolver. I have had several of them and they work as well as my Smiths.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Your most versatile revolver round would be .357 magnum (which can also shoot .38 spl).

Anything bigger would cost twice as much for practice ammo, and recoil enough to require lots of practice. (41, .44, .45)
Anything smaller might even cost more for practice ammo, and stopping power would be questionable. (.32)
Beyond practice ammo, there are many choices for hunting ammo, or for self defense ammo in both .357 magnum and .38 spl.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:16 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Why not a ruger SP101 in .357 magnum? The recoil is stout in the 2.25" barrel, but I get decent groups with it. Put the hogue grip on it... The weight of the SP101 makes it a decent range gun, too.

it's double action, so no need to **** the hammer. Just a long trigger pull.

I would keep it close to hand though. What if you get downed by a wild animal and can't get to your ankle?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Personally, I would go with the .357. With a .38, you have a .38 with very few options. With a .357, you have a wide range of ammo to play with to find that one brand of ammo that is sweet for that gun. You can practice with .38 rather inexpensively, then load it up with .357 with defensive rounds.

Many years ago, I purchased a .357 Astra (if I remember correctly). At that time, I was really in to reloading. My brother and I went out to the Dulzura area and was target practicing. I started out with really hot loads and as the gun got hot, I stepped it down to factory .357's and as it got hotter, I stepped it down to .38's. We were going to look for some bobcats, so I loaded up with hot .357's. Sure enough, I saw a bobcat, distance was pretty great but I figured I'd dust his butt. Double action revolver, the first round did fine. Second round wouldn't roll the cylinder, had to kind of help it a bit. Third round, couldn't roll the cylinder, couldn't help it either.

I took the gun to a gunsmith in Escondido. He took a look at it and said he couldn't work on Astra's, it had to be shipped to the factory. So I filled out a card with the dope on the rounds I was shooting. Over 300 rounds that day, how many grains of powder, bullet weight, etc. We sent it off. About 3 weeks later, the gunsmith called and said my pistol was in. I went to pick it up and there was a brand new gun in the box, along with a letter. The letter appologized for the gun breaking down. I had ruptured the frame, split the barrel, and also split the cylinder. They said, there was no way that gun should have faultered with the loads I was running through it. Please except our appology, and this new gun. It cost me $17 for shipping to Spain, where they were made. They paid for shipping back. I was told by the gunsmith, that Astra was owned by Garcia Mitchell, the fishing pole company. Still have that pistol and she still shoots true to form. Excellent pistol with a 5 1/2 inch barrel.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:55 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Why not a ruger SP101 in .357 magnum? The recoil is stout in the 2.25" barrel, but I get decent groups with it. Put the hogue grip on it... The weight of the SP101 makes it a decent range gun, too.

it's double action, so no need to **** the hammer. Just a long trigger pull.

I would keep it close to hand though. What if you get downed by a wild animal and can't get to your ankle?
I appreciate the tips all around, sounds like a 357 is the way to go. I saw a snub. 357 Charter Arms for $400 a couple of weeks ago.

One quick disclaimer about the Ruger SP101 advice though : I WANT the option of cocking because I do not like the heavy trigger pull of a double action. That's unfortunate in that it rules out the revolvers with the recessed hammer that doesn't become stuck in pockets etc.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
One quick disclaimer about the Ruger SP101 advice though : I WANT the option of cocking because I do not like the heavy trigger pull of a double action. That's unfortunate in that it rules out the revolvers with the recessed hammer that doesn't become stuck in pockets etc.
I carry a S&W Model 649 if I'm wearing a coat. It was designed with the thought that people might need to fire from the pocket. It's stainless and fires a .357 with comfort. The hammer is shrouded so you can fire either single or double action. I carry a Model 638 in my side pants pocket. It's an aluminum frame .38 special with the same shrouded hammer. I wouldn't consider feral pigs a problem. Except for the young, harmless but curious, they try to avoid all human contact.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IMHO -When the alternate to an appropriate gun is getting run over and eaten by pigs, expense is not an issue. Get enough gun.

I suggest a pair of guns. A double action Revolver in .45 Long Colt and a Winchester lever action in the same caliber. Either gun will stop a pig if you manage a center or skull hit.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
I appreciate the tips all around, sounds like a 357 is the way to go. I saw a snub. 357 Charter Arms for $400 a couple of weeks ago.

The Ruger SP101 has an exposed hammer:

Ruger SP101® Double-Action Revolver Models

Only one version has the bobbed hammer for DOA.

Mine is the double action with the shorter barrel:

Or see if you can pick up a good used Service, Security, or Speed Six which are 6 shots:

Last edited by ScoPro; 02-04-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Quote:

You can get it without the bobbed hammer. Mine has a traditional hammer.
Keep in mind though, with it cocked, the trigger is pretty dang light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting