Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times

Advertisements

A time honored tradition was to give a child their first gun at approx 10 years old so proper training could begin from father to child in a time honored bonding.

Don't try it now or the local family services gestapo will be knocking on your door.

Dad says Facebook photo of son with gun brought cops to house | Technically Incorrect - CNET News

Nothing makes sense anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Yep, that there's your typical picture of a kid with his brand new bolt action, single shot or tube magazine Cooey .22 alrighty!

Ain't no rimfire short or long .22 I ever laid eyes on.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yep, that there's your typical picture of a kid with his brand new bolt action, single shot or tube magazine Cooey .22 alrighty!

What does it matter that you've never seen one? It's a 10 round, fixed stock, Smith and Wesson model 15-22 .22lr rifle. Because of NJ laws, it holds fewer rounds than the tubular Marlin Model 60 that virtually every boy I knew had at that age.

Product: Model M&P15-22 Rifle (Compliant)

Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:

You, Sir, have exposed yourself as a "non-gun guy." Most gun people can identify the gun in that boy's hands as an MP15-22. It is actually a VERY popular model right now and one need not wander too deep into a gun store or online catalogue to see these very common .22s and others similar to them.

Notice too how the 11 year old boy's figure is straight and off the trigger, and the weapon is oriented in a safe direction? The kid's dad has him off to a good start.

It seems the author's final point was that by "exposing ourselves" to people we don't know (via facebook) we invite trouble on ourselves. The thing is, enjoying one's 2nd Amendment rights in a responsible manner is NEVER cause for the government to invade one's home and try to throw their bureaucratic weight around. Gun enthusiasts have a right to pursue their interests (and even show off pictures of them enjoying their pursuit) without fear of the Nazi's in government beating the door down. Every responding officer and child services worker should be reprimanded for this invasion. I understand that the victims are considering legal options.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 PM

340 posts, read 495,531 times
Things have changed. I played in the school grounds with toy guns and we played Germans and Americans, Cowboys and Indians ect. When in High School we loaded 12 gauge shot guns shells and shot on the school forest. We took our deer rifles to school and hunted on school forest land. Our School kept several bolt action 22s and three shot guns in the supply closet. Now all that would be equal to running a plane into a building. Its not the same old America.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:

This is why the world has so many problems. People like this one spouting off to others when he has no idea what he is talking about. Probably the same type that starts panic by yelling fire because he saw a flashlight.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Quote:

What the heck is a Cooey?
I'm sure the panic is because the S&W 22 rifle in the photo looks like one of those evil black "assault" rifles. We live in some sad times. When I was a kid we could walk down my street to the woods with a 22 rifle. No one even looked twice at us.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:31 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:

Eeeewww! You mention a Cooey brand name! Seems to me that's a marketing name unique to Canada, no? It was, as I recall, a cheap single-shot Winny or Savage made to Sears Canada specs, no?

Late edit add: Yup: This just in (btw, I'm an ex-Canuck and used to see Cooeys for sale at the local Army & Navy Dept. Store, but they were NOT ever semi-autos styled after an assault rifle such as this kid obviously has.) Here, fyi: from a firearms blog:

"I have been looking for some parts for a Cooey Rifle that belongs to a friend. I cannot find any reference in either the Numrich catalog or in the Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms.

Seems as though someone once mentioned that the Cooey was actually a Savage model made or exported or whatever to Canada."

http://mackeysclockrepair.com/COOEY.jpg

Bingo!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 PM

510 posts, read 888,732 times
Many kids got the old wood stocked 10/22 Ruger or the Rem Speedmaster (wood stocked) or the Nylon 66 (imitation wood) and nobody ever seemed to get upset. They function almost identical to the M&P. But the M&P looks 'scary' so now it is a bad thing.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
My first .22 was a Remington semi-auto given to me at the age of 10. My grandson is now the proud owner of that rifle, given to HIM at age 10, also. He's now 12, and spent the day with me at the gun show, selling raffle tickets to win guns for the Friends of NRA.

Frankly, there's nothing wrong with givin' 'em a 15-22 - they're light weight, relatively cheap and a hoot ta shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting