Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times

Advertisements

At some point within the next year, I hope to add to my collection either an AK47 or an AR15, and I would like some help from you knowlegable folks in deciding which one. I don't have any experience with either of these firearms, so tell me everything you feel is important in making the decision. Here is some things I would like you to know and adress if you would be so kind...

Accuracy: From what I understand, the AR15 is an extremely accurate little gun at long distances, and the AK47 is no competitor for the AR in this arena. For what I'm going to be using it for { which I'll get to in a minute } the AK would likely be accurate enough. So, at close ranges, how much does the accuracy between these firearms differ?

Uses: I'll just be using it for, you know.... the usual things. Beer cans, paper targets, tyrannical governments { haha just kidding Homeland Security, don't get your panties in a bunch } Seriously though, I'll only be using it for recreational purposes like shooting at targets or whatever inanimate objects get in my way that I decide to take a disliking to. Probly just backyard fun to be honest with you. I don't plan on using it to hunt or anything like that so precision accuracy isn't a top priority.

Ammo Cost And Availability: This is one of my biggest concerns. I know that in normal market conditions, .223 rounds are pretty widely available { or are they? } but I'm not sure about 7.62 rounds and the answer seems to depend on who you ask. I've had some people tell me they are harder to find and then I've had some tell me that " that commy stuff is always floating around " so which is it? Can 7.62 rounds be easily found? Also, the guy at my local gun shop told me that he sells .223 rounds for about 16.99 for a box-o-20 and 7.62 sells for about 6.99 a box. Is this the norm for the difference in price of these two rounds? If so, I may lean towards the AK just for the cost benefit of the lower price on ammo.

Overall Reliablity: I've heard that the AK can withstand even the roughest conditions and can be counted on to reliably fire a round. On the other hand, I've heard the AR platform is more prone to jams. I don't want a firearm that will constantly malfunction or that is really picky. For what I'm using it for, do the differences come in to play?

Weight: The only AK I've ever heald was very heavy and that was unloaded. It was too heavy for me to hold and aim comfortably for more than a few seconds. I've aimed quite a few AR's though and they were all lightweight and easy to hold on target. As for the AK's, is this a characteristic of all or can you find lighter weight models?

General Concerns: You'll all have to forgive my ignorance on this, but when people talk about AR's I always hear tham talking about upper and lower recievers and how they have bought a lot of extra ones. Are these parts on the AR that need replacing frequently? Why do people buy so many extras? Can I buy an AR and count on it to reliably function for many years or will I have to buy extra recievers? I know that is probly a stupid question but like I said, I have no experience with these two types of firearms. Scope mounting according to my local gun shop is a futile effort on the AK and I would like something that can be fitted with a scope if I choose to, but it isn't a dealbreaker. Also, I just like the general look of the AK over the AR maily because you can buy them with a wood stalk. The AR on the Otherhand, just feels plasticy and cheap to me.

So, based on these factors, which would you recommend for me? Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM

315 posts, read 256,166 times
Thats an age old debate and you will find people on both sides. My best advice is buy both. If you have to buy one I can't tell you what to buy. But I can give you my feelings on both platforms. Both the AK and AR are in a sense modular. That is they can be adapted into several configurations by adding parts on. The AR is a bit more adaptable.

Accuracy the AR is more accurate but out to 200 yds its not a issue. The AK47 shoots a 30 caliber round and the AR a 223 or 5.56 the difference is 5.56 is loaded hotter than 223 for military use. The 30 caliber bullet is moving slower I think about 1000 FPS slower than the 223 give or take so it will drop more than the 22 caliber bullet moving at around 3400FPS.

The upper and lower are just the way the AR separate for cleaning and building. Both are gong to be reliable for the avg shooter. For someone like yourself either is a life long gun. The guy who said you can't mount a scope or its not worth doing to an AK is talking out his rear end. They make many different mounts for a scope on AKs and they work well. Same with the AR. My AR Colt Match Target without scope I can shoot expert at the CMP shoot.

As far as cost of ammo, the 7.62x39 ad 223 are about the same price in general. Walmart has Tula and its 5.29 for 20 rounds your choice. They are steel case and work well. [there is a whole different argument about steel cases wearing your gun, but I think its over concern. ] If you can find any Corrosive ammo for the AK you may buy it cheaper. Remember and learn from others mistakes. Corrosive ammo is absolutely fine to shoot. Don't let some guy like the one who said you can't mount a scope to an AK tell you that Corrosive ammo is going to hurt your gun. It will not. The primers are corrosive, they have salts that if left uncleaned in humid areas will draw moisture and rust your gun. It can not be cleaned with some Hoppies 9 and oil.
If you live in AZ you will never know because of the dry conditions. But in Fla where I live a month later and I can't open the bolt.

All you have to do is to get hot bucket of soapy water and clean the gun. After you dry it off oil it up like normal and your good to go. If you ammo says Non Corrosive don't worry and clean it like normal, if it says nothing assume its corrosive.

The AK tolerances are are much looser than the AR. It can take more "drop in sand" and still work. The AR draws gas from the barrel down a straw tube that goes into the bolt and carrier to act like a piston in a car to drive it back unlocking it. The ak does this but way up front of the gun. That said there are many different configurations that you can add to the AR to make it more like the M14 AK47 type of piston. Also the AK74 shoots a 5.45x39 a necked down AK 47 round closer to the 223 round. The ammo for this gun is only found at gun shops, shows and on line. You wont find it in Walmart ect. Its a bit harder to find than AK and 223 which is at most all Wal-Marts.

I would go to a shop and pick both up and see which feels better to you. I would also go to a shop that allows you to rent them and shoot a box of ammo through both and see which you like. The AK has a bit more kick. I just rand 100 rds through my AK and my wife accused me of getting a hicky on my shoulder. So much for not telling her I went to the range. That does not happen with the AR. You can shoot and AR with one hand and not feel a lot of recoil.

The AR has pins and springs that are more of a delicate nature than the AK. The AK is said by many to be ugly. I think its a beautiful gun, but it is built to drag behind a truck and still work. That is not to say the AR is problematic, its not. I have heard of pin walk on the hammer and trigger pin. Its fixed with KNS pin set if you have that problem. I have 4 ARs and not had that problem.

There is not a clear answer, its going to be up to you what you like. One mans treasure is another mans junk. I like both and I know many people who say the AK is the go to the mattresses gun, because its so durable and cycles with sand packed in it. Personally I think the M1A1 beats both of them.

Last edited by sharkhunter; 04-03-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 AM

308 posts, read 398,478 times
There are lots of scopes for the AK, so don't let that stop you. From what I understand, however, there are many cheap knockoffs of combloc military scopes out there, which are really really bad quality. You will want to look through and otherwise thoroughly check out any scope you think of buying.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
I have.....both. Each has its' pros and cons, but given your description for use, I'd likely go w/the AR, simply because of its' huge versatility. I can pull the upper and do a detail strip very readily, and wear parts are nominal. The folks you hear buying parts/components are those personalizing their gun to their own liking. by and large.
The one thing I WILL caution you on is to buy the gun in 5.56 caliber - NOT .223. Both will chamber either round - but as noted above, the 5.56 IS a "hotter" load, and shooting it in a gun built for .223 is not a good long-term plan, IMO. MOST of the AR platforms are built to 5.56 specs, but I've seen a few in .223, usually because it allows the manufacturer to save a few cents on the build.
Now, here's where it gets interesting....I like the AK..quite a bit, actually....so what I did was find one chambered in 5.56 (harder to do, but they're out there). Keeps me "current" on the gun break-down/familiarity, while allowing me to keep just one caliber.
But, IF I were gonna buy just one, it'd be the AR. If you decide down the road that you want a tack-driver, you can either replace the barrel with an appropriate H-BAR 20,22 or 24" - or get a dedicated upper that you can swap out in seconds.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
I have several of both, but if I had to have one it would be the AR. It is simply more accurate and ergonomic to shoot. Here's a short list of Pro's and cons for the AR vs the AK in my personal opinion.

Pros-
-Easier magazine changes
-lighter and less recoil. Much easier to put multiple shots on target.
-the safety is much easier to use. This can be important if you are teaching people how to shoot.
-much easier to mount a scope

Cons-
-More expensive
-less powerful round
-the chamber gets dirtier faster

You can't really go wrong with either. Also, you do get what you pay for to some extent. My Arsenal AK is just about as accurate as my ARs, at least for 100 yards off hand, but my WASR is not as precise. My converted Saiga sporter is very good as well, but I would not recommend it as a first AK. For an AR, I have to say the 16" barrel is a good compromise, although it is harder for me to shoot accurately at long range with just iron sights than the 20".

I do not have much experience with bargain basement ARs, but I hear mixed reviews. Some people rave about their $600 Frankenstein that they made themselves and others have a lot of problems. On the other hand, cheap AKs may not be tack drivers but they always go bang every time.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Thanks for the advice so far guys. Really appreciated.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 AM

185 posts, read 405,878 times
I like both platforms, both fun to shoot. Ammo availability IS an issue right now, and I have found that the 7.62x39 is both more readily available and cheaper than 5.56. Of course, that is comparing Russian 7.62 (steel case) to American 5.56 (brass case). Some ARs don't like steel cases; a few weeks ago, I was at the range with a friend, and his Armalite AR jammed 4 times in one magazine with Wolf ammo.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 AM

308 posts, read 398,478 times
Another pro for the AR is the availability of uppers in various calibers (well, once the current hoopla dies down, at any rate). You can buy several uppers for your AR lower receiver, so you're not stuck with the 5.56/223. This is not really possible with the AK.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
I've had both but I am not an AK fan in the end. It's just my personal preference.

The bigger question is what kind of AK and/or AR you get... you can get high quality AKs that are very accurate and virtually unstoppable or ARs that belong in the trash, not the range.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:28 PM

315 posts, read 256,166 times
One big pro for the AR is that for 100 bucks [when it dies down] is you can buy a CMMG conversion in SS and shoot 22lr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting