Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:22 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times

Advertisements

In parts, Moose hunting is being curtailed or stopped altogether with a significant decline in the moose population cited as a reason.

In the same news, of course climate change was blamed as nowadays you simply blame something on climate change and then wait for proof that isn't the cause.

Regardless, hunting Moose is now being curtailed or prohibited. Like most things, there is a wait for a crisis so that extreme measures can be taken. Absent from any consideration is how many Moose are taken by hunters but that probably has nothing to do with it.

As with most things in nature, the more we try to manage it, the less manageable it becomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 04:27 PM

54 posts, read 78,382 times
I still keeps me trusty British Enfield No.4 MK 1 in .303 British for such occasions.

That rifle and .cal have dropped more moose than any other combined.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Where are you talking about?

The moose herds in Wyoming, are doing pretty well. Having the largest herd in the Lower 48, I don't see the number of tags decreasing.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Hell I've got about 5 of 'em on my property right now...

At least one juvie bull, two cows (one with a calf from last year), and a mature bull (who might be for dinner once rut's over).

They all drive the damn dog insane, which then tends to drive me insane at the dog, sadly although the dog is easier to shoot, dog doesn't taste as good as Moose, which I suppose is lucky for the dog.

First year I've had five, normally there are just one or two.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Minnesota has had a serious decline, unknown why. Some speculate deer ticks but I don't think they really know.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:04 PM

54 posts, read 78,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Minnesota has had a serious decline, unknown why. Some speculate deer ticks but I don't think they really know.
The deer had blue tongue bad last year due to the drought. I wonder if moose and elk population was equally effected. You found them dead usually near water if they had it.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:12 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Where I quit hunting this year and hunted for over 20 years is a spot below yellowstone park and east of Dubois, Wyoming. I quit it because seeing a calf moose,elk or deer is a rarity. Most of it's due to the introduction of Wolves in yellowstone park in the 1990's, the area I have took 2 moose in now has in the last few years reduced draw permits and far fewer moose period. The have decimated the herds of all big game there.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:56 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Where are you talking about?

The moose herds in Wyoming, are doing pretty well. Having the largest herd in the Lower 48, I don't see the number of tags decreasing.
Moose in Western Canada are also doing really well, to the point of becoming a nuisance in some areas. Tags are cheap and plentiful.

In parts of eastern Canada populations are declining. However, it's worth noting that those areas showing declines are virtually all located at the fringes of native moose range. Ontario, for example, has seen declines in population around the great lakes and near the US border. However, overall populations in the province remain high, as there are vast tracts of more suitable habitat further north.

Despite declines in fringe areas, those populations in northern boreal or alpine environments are doing well.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:18 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Hell I've got about 5 of 'em on my property right now...

At least one juvie bull, two cows (one with a calf from last year), and a mature bull (who might be for dinner once rut's over).

They all drive the damn dog insane, which then tends to drive me insane at the dog, sadly although the dog is easier to shoot, dog doesn't taste as good as Moose, which I suppose is lucky for the dog.

First year I've had five, normally there are just one or two.

ROTFLMAO - and remember - he's only got a 1/4 acre lot.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:23 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Where I quit hunting this year and hunted for over 20 years is a spot below yellowstone park and east of Dubois, Wyoming. I quit it because seeing a calf moose,elk or deer is a rarity. Most of it's due to the introduction of Wolves in yellowstone park in the 1990's, the area I have took 2 moose in now has in the last few years reduced draw permits and far fewer moose period. The have decimated the herds of all big game there.
I agree.
My area is north of Yellowstone near Livingston. It is a rarity to see an elk calf anymore, moose? Forget about it. I found 1 moose track in 11 days of hunting this year in an area that used to have many.
I have heard that moose are nearly extinct inside the park, and that the northern yellowstone elk herd went from a high of around 30,000 in the 1980s to less than 4,000 today.

At least in my area the reason for moose decline is easy to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting