Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times

Advertisements

I am looking to add another AK drum. I have seen prices as low as 57 bucks. Some places still ask 125 to 200 but many are 69, 68 ect. I don't expect this to last long. Maybe another year, but if the 14 election goes against the Repubs. then there may be a real push for new gun laws. Is this a time to stock up, or are any of you not really worried about getting mags, and ammo in the next few years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:52 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Buy low, sell high.

Hoarding ammo, mags and guns that might be outlawed in your state or federally I think has become the norm.

Since all stores that sell guns and ammo wont go back to pre-1992 of keeping loads of inventory then that burden has been move to the consumer to stock up when they can.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:17 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Wholesale prices never really went up, because factory supply was never reduced and production costs never really went up. Walmart prices on ammo never went up. It was hard to find, but they didn't increase prices.
People chose to buy at inflated retail prices. Simply don't make that choice.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Wholesale prices never really went up, because factory supply was never reduced and production costs never really went up. Walmart prices on ammo never went up. It was hard to find, but they didn't increase prices.
People chose to buy at inflated retail prices. Simply don't make that choice.
That is not entirely true. Walmat did raise prices on many of the ammo products they sold. The Tula stuff stayed the same, at least around here. But a lot of the domestic ammo went up. M-22 went from 46 and change to 48 then 51 and change. Federal 9mm went from 9.99 to 13.99. I am sure its because of the higher prices charged by the manufacture. It could even be that the walmart we tell you what were going to pay is not working with ammo as if you don't pay it there are a lot of others who will be happy to pay it trumps. I am slowly buying ammo and mags now. It only takes one sandy hook to push people into panic buying and over paying. 22lr is a good example. It sold fast because people could shoot cheap, then it became the new bit coin of ammo. People pay high prices when they can not find it. I can shoot 223 or 7.62x39 for what some pay for 22lr. I watched as people paid 100 bucks for a Pmag 30 round at CTD, and 300 for an AK drum. Now 59 for the drum and 8.99 for the Pmags. Some still charge high prices, this link is for the rem bucket of bullets for 245 plus shipping. Its a MSR of 69. 1400 Rounds of Bulk .22 LR Ammo by Remington - 36gr HP

And they are sold out. LOL I would shoot my pellet gun first.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:25 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
That is not entirely true. Walmat did raise prices on many of the ammo products they sold. The Tula stuff stayed the same, at least around here. But a lot of the domestic ammo went up. M-22 went from 46 and change to 48 then 51 and change. Federal 9mm went from 9.99 to 13.99. I am sure its because of the higher prices charged by the manufacture. It could even be that the walmart we tell you what were going to pay is not working with ammo as if you don't pay it there are a lot of others who will be happy to pay it trumps. I am slowly buying ammo and mags now. It only takes one sandy hook to push people into panic buying and over paying. 22lr is a good example. It sold fast because people could shoot cheap, then it became the new bit coin of ammo. People pay high prices when they can not find it. I can shoot 223 or 7.62x39 for what some pay for 22lr. I watched as people paid 100 bucks for a Pmag 30 round at CTD, and 300 for an AK drum. Now 59 for the drum and 8.99 for the Pmags. Some still charge high prices, this link is for the rem bucket of bullets for 245 plus shipping. Its a MSR of 69. 1400 Rounds of Bulk .22 LR Ammo by Remington - 36gr HP

And they are sold out. LOL I would shoot my pellet gun first.
Well yeah, prices increase due to inflationary pressure, new supplier contracts, increases in transportation costs, or simply cross the board (not only ammo) increased profit margin desires. Or a combination of all the above factors.

The point is that wallmart doesn't gouge (and the gougers were actually using them as a "supplier" before wallmart put in ammo purchase limits), and neither are the manufacturers...at least not to a degree. Wallmart seems to increase, or decrease, prices in monumental leaps at infrequent intervals to reflect new supplier contract terms (which are for 6 months or a year). And that happens when an inventory stock is depleted and new stock reflecting the new contract is put on the shelf. So it seems all of a sudden and drastic changes.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I don't think we will ever see Pre-Sand Hook prices. Sure, current prices are coming down, but just due to inflation, the prices will be slightly higher than Pre-Sandy Hook.

Ammo at the local gun store never shot up here. They kept their normal prices, but periodically they have went up. Pre-Sandy Hook, I was paying $20 for a brick of my favorite .22lr. Today, that same brick is $23. I figure that is more normal, just due to inflation.

Yes, manufacturing prices went up, but only slightly. When people started hording, some of the ammo manufacturers added another shift, or went from 80% production to 100%, so it's kind of understandable that there would be a slight increase. Factor in the entire supply chain, the bullets, the powder, the primers, the trucks delivering, then the shipment to vendors, etc... and when you figure in all of that, paying $23 for my favorite .22lr ammo, is within reason.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I don't think we will ever see Pre-Sand Hook prices. Sure, current prices are coming down, but just due to inflation, the prices will be slightly higher than Pre-Sandy Hook.

Ammo at the local gun store never shot up here. They kept their normal prices, but periodically they have went up. Pre-Sandy Hook, I was paying $20 for a brick of my favorite .22lr. Today, that same brick is $23. I figure that is more normal, just due to inflation.

Yes, manufacturing prices went up, but only slightly. When people started hording, some of the ammo manufacturers added another shift, or went from 80% production to 100%, so it's kind of understandable that there would be a slight increase. Factor in the entire supply chain, the bullets, the powder, the primers, the trucks delivering, then the shipment to vendors, etc... and when you figure in all of that, paying $23 for my favorite .22lr ammo, is within reason.
I think a little inflation is always within reason on any products, especially when tied to legitimate reasoning like posted above.
I wasnt an owner until Dec 2012 so except for occasional plinking over the decades have no real comparison for .22lr ammo now compared to years past. For the most part what i have been able to get has averaged out in the .05-.08 each range and which for what i do (monthly range time for fun) is just fine. If a 525ct box of Fed hp should be around $25 and i see it a few bucks more i may grab it so i'm covered. When i see it for double or triple the price (usually not in legit stores but sold by re-sellers) i pass. Others may wish to support those practices, I choose note to.

So it may all depend on the customer. Ammo at reasonable prices will be available, it may take some searching to get it. Or pay the going rates online, it may guarantee you have something to shoot even if the pricing practices are tied more to individual profits. Guess it's one's right to do as they wish.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:21 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
In the next couple of weeks I'll be buying my first AR. Am trying to decide between a S&W M&P 15 Sport and a Colt LE6920.
The Colt looks sweet, but the inexpensive S&W is a pretty good basic AR for the money.
Whichever one I get, it will have 10 additional Pmags and a case of 5.56 to go with it.

Don't need one, but why not? Prices on those guns are almost down to where they were before the herd panicked a year ago.

Ain't going to build one.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
In the next couple of weeks I'll be buying my first AR. Am trying to decide between a S&W M&P 15 Sport and a Colt LE6920.
The Colt looks sweet, but the inexpensive S&W is a pretty good basic AR for the money.
Whichever one I get, it will have 10 additional Pmags and a case of 5.56 to go with it.

Don't need one, but why not? Prices on those guns are almost down to where they were before the herd panicked a year ago.

Ain't going to build one.
If ya got the bones to do it, ya might wanna think about buying two or even three AR's. Keep one for yourself and put the other two in a safe place while leaving them in their boxes....

If I had only known what people were going to be willing to pay for them after sandy hook, I'd have bought all I could afford. I saw some go 2500 bucks that are now selling for maybe 900 or 1000. People were paying that for used ones too!

Sheeple man, sheeple.

Look at it this way.... it's only a matter of time before the next big push for GC and the crowd will probably go wild again. It is a gamble though. One could make the argument that anyone who wanted an AR probably got one at some point in 2013.

Now, ammo and mags will be where the big money is on the secondary market next time there is a rush.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM

The strange thing is, some prices are pre sandy hook. I was motivated by one post here to look for a bit of 12ga 00 buck. I have not bought any because it was never in short supply. I started to look for what it was going for. I found a lot of posts on gun forums that said 65 cents 59 cents a round but were dated 2008 2010 ect. I then started to look for the current selling price and found that I could buy RIO, S&B and Centurion 2 3/4 00 buck for 50-59 cents or less delivered. I ended up going with S&B for 54 cents delivered on 100 rounds. I also was not really looking but ran across adds for romey AK drums 75 round for 57 bucks. Pre sandy hook was a bit higher than that and after sh they were 200-300. The Tula ammo is also the same or cheaper than pre SH. It seems that its the American made stuff that is going up even when prices normalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting