Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 07:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Can you hunt small game, upland birds, and waterfowl with a 22 pistol, or any long arm in 22 caliber? I was contemplating getting a shotgun combo because it will hunt every type of game except fish. But realized, the gun itself is cheap, but reloading is expensive. So now I think, how about an SKS with 762x39, and then just use something 22 for the smaller critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 07:34 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Read and follow all the fish and game laws in your state.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:20 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I think probably not legal most places, and not a good idea in the rest. Mainly due to the fact that shotgun birdshot only travels maybe 300 yards, while .22 can travel over a mile and centerfire as far as 3 miles. Essentially the same as shooting into the air on New Years - the bullet could come down on someone a long way away.

"Know your target and what is beyond." Can't do that shooting into the air.

Old 02-06-2014, 12:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Small game yes as in the furry type. For birds check your local laws.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
In my opinion, the SKS isn't a very good hunting rifle. They are cheap guns designed for putting lots of rounds downrange, not for precision shooting. However, if it's what you have, you can use it, and I have personally killed a deer with an SKS. If you reload it's even better because there are lots of excellent .308 caliber hunting bullets available.

As for the .22.... Are you asking if you "can", or if you "may" hunt small game and birds?

Yes to both for small game (squirrels, rabbits, etc.). I'd recommend a short rifle over a pistol for hunting anything. I grew up hunting squirrels and rabbits with a .22LR (Glenfield 75 Carbine) and can vouch for the .22's effectiveness. Head shots are preferred, but a chest shot doesn't damage anything except a bit of rib meat.

As for birds, whether you "can" or not depends on your skill and the accuracy of your gun. A .22 will do a lot of damage to a small bird's breast meat, so you want to aim for the head. Really small target, though, so you'd better be able to shoot.

If you're asking if you "may" (i.e., asking if it's legal), then that's different. It is NOT legal to use lead shot on waterfowl. Something to do with lead in the water. It's OK for upland birds, though. I don't know if that carries over to lead rifle bullets. Some states have very restrictive hunting laws, and different states even have contradictory laws. Find the laws in your state and read them. Or you can call your state's department of wildlife (or whoever is responsible for policing hunting laws) and ask, but you may or may not get a legitimate answer.

Both of my bird answers above assume you're shooting at a bird on the ground or floating in water. If you're planning on shooting at birds on the wing with a rifle, then think again. jamies said this already, but I'll expand a little. Tiny round birdshot pellets lose velocity FAST. I can't count the number of times I've had #8 shot harmlessly rain down on me during dove hunts. Even larger shot used for waterfowl won't kill a human if falling at terminal velocity. But a spin-stabilized rifle bullet shot into the air, even a little .22LR, can penetrate a human skull at remarkable distances.

I'll repeat: "Know your target and what is beyond."

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 02-06-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:39 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you hunt small game, upland birds, and waterfowl with a 22 pistol, or any long arm in 22 caliber? I was contemplating getting a shotgun combo because it will hunt every type of game except fish. But realized, the gun itself is cheap, but reloading is expensive. So now I think, how about an SKS with 762x39, and then just use something 22 for the smaller critters.
You're not going to be well served trying to buy one rifle or handgun that will do everything.

For hunting small game, upland birds and waterfowl, a .22 handgun would largely be a failure and, in most places, it wouldn't be legal. The only legal means for birds in most jurisdictions is a shotgun.

We hunt squirrel with two people and a dog. One guy carries a 20 gauge, one guy carries a .22 and the dog trees the squirrels. Works quite well.

We hunt upland fowl with shotguns. A .22 wouldn't work at all.

We hunt waterfowl with shotguns. A .22 wouldn't work at all.

An SKS isn't going to cover all of your bases very well and even in the hunting tasks that it performs well it will by handily outperformed by an inexpensive bolt rifle chambered in .30-06. If you want to be able to hunt everything in the NE, you need a .22 rifle or handgun, you need a .30-06 and you need a 20 or 12 gauge shotgun.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:41 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
In my opinion, the SKS isn't a very good hunting rifle. They are cheap guns designed for putting lots of rounds downrange, not for precision shooting. However, if it's what you have, you can use it, and I have personally killed a deer with an SKS. If you reload it's even better because there are lots of excellent .308 caliber hunting bullets available.
Note, however, that an SKS bore will gauge somewhere between .310 and .312 like the .303 British.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
You have to use a shotgun for waterfowl per the feds.
As for the .22, we used to carry .22's while moose hunting on the off chance we were to find ptarmigan, hare, other small game, and they are useful at close range for such duties. Ptarmigan and grouse especially tend to be pretty dumb and you can get withing the effective (25 yards) range fairly easily. You need to be good with it.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I have used Ruger MK I and Mk III for years to shoot, I also used the Ruger Bearcat in the early 1980's. Us good quality bullets and make sure they are hollowpoints. I use CCI if I can get them, the main point is use Hollowpoints.
Practice with it, know your and it's limitations, a revolver will give you more power on the bullet end as some of the pressure is not used for ejecting the spent case. Aim for the neck or head on birds and head for hairy varmints.....

Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I have used Ruger MK I and Mk III for years to shoot, I also used the Ruger Bearcat in the early 1980's. Us good quality bullets and make sure they are hollowpoints. I use CCI if I can get them, the main point is use Hollowpoints.
Practice with it, know your and it's limitations, a revolver will give you more power on the bullet end as some of the pressure is not used for ejecting the spent case. Aim for the neck or head on birds and head for hairy varmints.....
Maybe a gunsmith can chime in on this but I believe the "power" is already spent once the bullet leaves the case. This is why auto loaders are softer recoiling, the spent gases are used to cycle the action. In other firearms the shooter absorbs the recoil.
In other words I don't belive there is a noticeable difference in velocity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting