Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,978,711 times

Advertisements

Or does the knife discussion fit here or on a different thread?

Old 03-03-2014, 07:14 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,221,535 times
Yep, a kinfe forum might be interesting. I don't think I have any of those. ....But knives, I have several nice ones,lol.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:50 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,636,744 times
A knife forum is a great idea. I currently see knife threads on several different fora ranging from Guns to Hobbies (general) to SS&P to Gardening to Food.. Bringing them together would be a real convenience. I think many people have trouble figuring out where to start knife threads.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:06 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,133,379 times
Gee, I don't know. We've been discussing knives in this forum, ever since it's creation. You have started several threads about knives, and now you are asking????

Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,785,855 times
LOL This isn't Blade Forums. If there is enough interest then a thread will stay at the top.

Just scored a nice European Schrade 226OT SS off the bay. If you know what model that is then you are a collector.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:26 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,978,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Gee, I don't know. We've been discussing knives in this forum, ever since it's creation. You have started several threads about knives, and now you are asking????
Well sure we can talk about knives here, but its not like knives are really a subset of guns. Related as hobby sure but so is macrame in that they are both hobbies. I talk about Hot Springs Ar. on the Little rock forum but I would like a Hot Springs category. Not being a knife enthusiast anywhere near as much as a gun nut, I can live with the way it is. But it would make it easier to have category's that would be easier to search to find threads that deal in specific areas. Its not a big deal for me, there are a lot of knife forums dedicated to knives, but then there are gun forums dedicated to guns also. I like them all.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:08 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,133,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Well sure we can talk about knives here, but its not like knives are really a subset of guns. Related as hobby sure but so is macrame in that they are both hobbies. I talk about Hot Springs Ar. on the Little rock forum but I would like a Hot Springs category. Not being a knife enthusiast anywhere near as much as a gun nut, I can live with the way it is. But it would make it easier to have category's that would be easier to search to find threads that deal in specific areas. Its not a big deal for me, there are a lot of knife forums dedicated to knives, but then there are gun forums dedicated to guns also. I like them all.
The name of this forum is Guns and Hunting. That doesn't mean that our hands are tied and we can only discuss a Remington Shotgun, because it relates to Hunting, and we can not discuss an M16 because it doesn't.

Admin is the one that decides what sub forums are added and he bases that on traffic. Believe me, the traffic has to really be up there for it to even be considered. I've seen forums that had about 40 % of their threads dealing with a particular topic and yet, that didn't rate a forum or subforum of it's own.

Do a seach on here and see how many threads are about knives and then try and justify it in your own mind that there is enough traffic to warrent it's own forum. I think you'll come up short, by a bunch.

What is wrong with discussing knives here? New users, find City Data by doing a search on the internet and if it points at CD, it's going to point at a post whether it's in a forum about it, or if it's in Wide Spot Wyomings post. So a new user to the system is going to find a post on a particular knife, no matter where we put it on City data, no matter what. Google will still point at it. For long time users, they'll know that knives are part of Guns and Hunting and come here anyhow. Before posting a thread asking about something, we encourage people to use the search function first so they are not duplicating threads, so they'll still find a thread about a particular knife.

Granted, there are forums out there about knives. That's not what City Data was all about, however, as ideas and traffic grow, admin trys to grow the system with them. There just has to be significant traffic. And then, it still takes time because they don't add just to add, but instead, wait until they have a list of things to modify and then add them all at the same time.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,948,351 times
Well...when I visit many dedicated gun forums, which of course are always broken up into subset forums (rifles, gun laws, accessories), they seem to always have a subset forum devoted to blades. So the precedent is there.

I won't expect a separate knife forum - I'm still waiting for a musicians forum however...not a music forum where the level of discussion is about lady gaga's latest release and such drivel. But a form for MUSICIANS.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,495,104 times
Well before we fold, I'd like to hone in on some major points to have a blade forum without getting too edgy.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,399,574 times
there have been a thread or two on knives, and they tend to die after a couple of pages.

Anyway, I used to be quite a knife knut, even went to the Blade Show in Atlanta a few years back. My EDC is a knife I bought from Darrel Ralph. I saw him at the Chicago knife show, told him exactly what I wanted, and a few months later he shipped it to me. It's his 'trigger' model w/ ti frame lock, S30V blade, all-DLC coated, tip up carry, and manual open w/ Darrel's sealed pivot bearing system.

I also have an old William Henry liner lock (no longer made) that has about a 3.25 inch blade, but weighs under 1.5 ounces. That is clipped to my running shorts when I go running. I've run several marathons with that knife. I later replaced it with one of their button lock versions w/ ZDP-189 blade, but it didn't carry nearly as well, so I went back to the liner-lock model.

I have several dozen knives that I bought over the years, but those are the two that I use. I kind of lost the bug when I realized that I was spending thousands, to no apparent end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting