Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 PM

893 posts, read 885,983 times

Advertisements

I know this isnt relative to the conversation but I would start with this when arguing with an anti gun nut;

the 2nd Amendment isn't an "issue" it is a CIVIL LIBERTY.

There are no compromises on civil liberties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 12:13 AM

893 posts, read 885,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
"

Zimmerman was extremely borderline, personally I think he should have lost. He followed the guy after being told by the police not to, then approached him, basically initiated a fight then shot the guy. That's not self defense, even if once the encounter went down he became in fear for his life (because he's a fat weak dude who can't fight yet got himself into one anyway), self defense is keeping your distance and waiting for the police and not creating a situation where fear for your life would ever show up. He was lucky.

You have all the facts wrong on the case. Not to hijack but he didn't follow the guy after talking to dispatch. He didn't approach or initiate the fight.

Martin approached him. Martin suckered punched him.

Too many just took Nbc and the bias medias blather as the truth.

Martin is dead because of his own thug actions.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:03 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
That advice if taken probably agitates everyone, including the other gun owners. Just because the gun control people say gun owners are nuts doesn't mean some gun owners are not nuts.

For sure, anyone considering the issue that hasn't made up their mind probably would after that. People aren't born believing in the Constitution, they are educated about it. If that is part of their education I'm not thinking they'd be persuaded to think the braggart anyone to emulate.

Thinking gun control advocates are idiots is a big mistake. If they are idiots, they seem to have accomplished quite a bit, even if misguided.
Like Ted Nugent and Wayne a good guy with a gun. LOL Gun people are agitated about everything. Look at your posts.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Like Ted Nugent and Wayne a good guy with a gun. LOL Gun people are agitated about everything. Look at your posts.
gun people are agitated because fellow citizens and politicians alike are trying to strip them of their right to bear arms. How about I try and strip you of your right to free speech, lets see how you feel about that. It also agitates us because we understand the importance of the 2nd amendment to the rest of the bill of rights and constitution in general.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I can remember in Florida in the 80s when rape went up in I believe Jacksonville, many women went out and flooded the gun stores buying hand guns, and taking classes, so much it was on the news. Rape went down a lot, if I remember is was in the 90 percent. Then after Florida passed shall issue, there was a rash of robbery on tourists who were from out of country. It was found that the perps knew these people would not have a gun but if they robbed a Florida resident it was a crap shoot if they had a gun. Your nut bar Watch idiots do not know anything of guns,and what they do to stop crime. The big things is I would not waste my time arguing with them. Its like arguing with a christian if your an atheist. No amount of evidence is going to change a mind that knows the facts as they want to believe them. I would put up my NRA sticker and brag about going to the range and practicing. I would get a CCW and talk about it. Put up pro gun stickers, posters what ever you can do, it will eat at them like crazy. What ever you do don't change to shut up these idiots. agitate agitate agitate.
Only take this advice if you want to be childish.......

Some of us are actually adults and want to act in a mature and responsible manner saxondale.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
I only had a chance to skim this thread. But if your neighbors are really anti-gun, then they won't mind this sign.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:59 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I only had a chance to skim this thread. But if your neighbors are really anti-gun, then they won't mind this sign.
A sign like that is just childish if you ask me. For one, you are going to draw all kinds of unwanted attention to yourself from many other people, including those who you have to live next to and possibly from LE. For two, you would potentialy be putting your neighbors at a higher risk of being victimized. Why would you want to do that?

If I saw a house with a sign like that in the yard, I would assume that the owner must truly be a nut, or at least a very immature individual.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:09 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
The MORE invisible you can be, the better off you are.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times
Like I said, I have no real intention of advertising that own guns, mostly because I don't really like any kinds of signs or bumper stickers, no matter what they say. My big issue was these big-mouths saying that it would "invite" crime into our town. My conclusion after reading all that everyone posted is that the presence of guns can be a tempting target to some criminals, but in general, having guns still makes me safer, especially now that we have a wave of burglaries that are happening when the homeowners are home. Also, if I were to somehow "broadcast" that I am armed, it might make the criminal choose my neighbors instead, who are openly unarmed.

The neighbors' anti-sticker-and-sign advocacy is likely at least partly about me making myself a "tougher target" to criminals, who will then move on to the neighbors' houses instead of mine. My house is well-lit, always locked, alarmed, my gates and shed are locked, and I have crazy-a$$ dogs barking at the slightest sound. A criminal looking at my house will probably consider me too much trouble. Can they break in if they really want to? Of course. But my house would be more work, more effort than the next house, and most criminals don't have a great work ethic.

I really believe in the "tough target" theory by JJ Bittenbinder. You can't make yourself and your home completely safe from crime, but you can make yourself and your home just too darned much trouble to a criminal, who will move on to the next person or house that's easier.

We also have lots of people in my town who, inexplicably, leave their vehicles unlocked. I know, ridiculous, right? The "police blotter" week after week shows "theft from auto" reports, and in more than half the cases, it says the cars were unlocked. People at the town watch meeting were vocal about it being their "right" to leave their cars unlocked, and how we can't "blame the victim." I said "Well, it certainly is your right, so keep on leaving your car unlocked, in a poorly lit area, with valuables visible inside. I'll keep my car empty, locked, and under my floodlight. The criminals will pass by my car and choose yours." I think the same folks who took offense to that were the same ones who took offence to the residents who put NRA stickers on their house windows and car windows. It's like they want the crime in my town spread evenly and "fairly" among all the residents.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:44 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
A sign like that is just childish if you ask me. For one, you are going to draw all kinds of unwanted attention to yourself from many other people, including those who you have to live next to and possibly from LE. For two, you would potentialy be putting your neighbors at a higher risk of being victimized. Why would you want to do that?

If I saw a house with a sign like that in the yard, I would assume that the owner must truly be a nut, or at least a very immature individual.
I included that picture as a little bit of humor in an otherwise serious thread. Would I actually put it up in my yard? No. If my neighbor was publicly anti-gun, I would bring it to the next HOA meeting and ask to put it up just to see what his reaction would be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting