Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times

Advertisements

Please, help keep NH free, and vote these tyrants out...

Quote:
Thanks to a recent article in the Concord Monitor, we now know the major threats to our Second Amendment freedoms that we can expect from the New Hampshire legislature in 2014.
Rest of story here:

Anti-Gun New Hampshire Reps Try To Dupe Gun Groups into Supporting Anti-Gun Bills - Gun Owners of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
So with 3 active pro-gun organizations in NH, the news has to be broken by the national GOA instead?

Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
So with 3 active pro-gun organizations in NH, the news has to be broken by the national GOA instead?
You all have no idea what is available to the private citizen. I laugh when they say "outlaw assault" weapons, as I have no idea what that really means. We, as US citizens, can buy almost anything.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I will discuss this with my local State Rep.

IMHO a person that commits suicide with a firearm is guilty of improperly and reckless use of a gun and paid for their mistake with their life. Harsh but true.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
The gun owners associations in New Hampshire sometimes fight amongst themselves.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:17 PM

657 posts, read 801,812 times
I'm struggling to see what is wrong with this bill:

"According to the Concord Monitor, the Piper bill would allow the police to “temporarily take a gun away from someone threatening suicide or harm to others.”
Piper’s bill would “let police ask a judge for permission to seize firearms” -- apparently with no input from the gun owner. The gun owner would then have a hearing in 14 days to “explain to a judge WHY THE GUNS SHOULD BE RETURNED.” [Emphasis Added]"

The bolded bit makes alot of sense. If someone is threatening sucide or worse threatening to harm others that person gun should be taken away. End of story.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:18 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
make no mistake, the big push to ban guns is directed at home owners and no one else.
when we are disarmed they have another program in mind, dont go there.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Exclamation Don't forget Donna Schlachman's proposal

These are all Legislative Service Requests, with sufficient pressure on the legislator behind them, they may never even get a bill number, much less a vote. And these aren't the only ones worth watching.

Unlike GraniteGrok, I'm waiting to see exactly what the text is when District 4 Senator David Watters (D) and his "Greatly expand the list of prohibited persons" bill, which the NSSF now endorses. Not so much for State Representative Wendy Piper (D) of Enfield introduces her "Allege suicidal ideation to confiscate firearms from anybody you want" bill, which was actually request by Richard Crate, Chief of Police of Enfield, NH

Along with the two proposals in the original post, take a look at LSR 2014-H-2063-R title: enabling municipalities to dispose of certain firearms. This one comes from State Representative Donna Schlachman (D) of Rockingham., who never met a gun control law she didn't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCoastOnline
House Majority Leader Steve Shurtleff, D-Concord, and Senate Majority Leader Jeb Bradley, R-Wolfeboro, believe these two bills [Watters' and Piper's] are the only gun control measures with a chance of passing next year. A lot depends on what the final bills look like and if New Hampshire's gun rights groups support them, Bradley said.
The other bills, ones with no chance of passing, will probably never make it out of committee, as the Democrats don't want to give their GOP opponents ammunition to use against them in the next election by voting for E. Elaine Andrews-Ahearn's gun ban and background check bills.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 11-09-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2013, 05:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Slippery slope.

I don't like my neighbor, relative, person across town.

I call the police and state that this person is talking about suicide.

Police arrive take all guns.

Then the burden now goes to the confiscated gun owner to prove otherwise.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:19 AM

276 posts, read 448,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
The bolded bit makes alot of sense. If someone is threatening sucide or worse threatening to harm others that person gun should be taken away. End of story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Slippery slope.

I don't like my neighbor, relative, person across town.

I call the police and state that this person is talking about suicide.

Police arrive take all guns.

Then the burden now goes to the confiscated gun owner to prove otherwise.

Guilty until proven innocent.
This. If someone is committing a crime, arrest them and charge them. Should someone's car also be taken away if they are threatening suicide so they don't kill themselves via carbon monoxide poisoning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire