Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 05:17 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times

Advertisements

One word of advice - something I learned VERY quickly.....price doesn't equate quality with suppressors. There are several internet forums that have sections dedicated to suppressors with lots of members with a great deal of experience. I lined up a half-dozen, then asked for guidance/input, and Silencerco came to the surface time and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 02:50 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
I agree -- first look at reviews, warranty, and reputation for customer service, then look at price as an afterthought. Some firms offer outstanding support, well in excess of their written warranty.

One other piece of advice -- If you get a suppressor to use on 22 rimfire, don't get a sealed can, instead choose a cleanable model like the Sparrow SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They weigh 1.5lbs?! Oh God no way I want to schlep that kind of additional weight in the mountains.
A 22 rimfire suppressor can be under 5 ounces.

Yes, 20oz is pretty common for a .308 suppressor; if you're willing to pay a premium for exotic materials (Ti, etc), you can get the weight down around 14oz. Compare that to 11oz for a good pair of electronic muffs and spare batteries.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They weigh 1.5lbs?! Oh God no way I want to schlep that kind of additional weight in the mountains.

I just looked up the shotgun recoil tables. My 3" goose loads in a Mossberg 500 push about 54lbs recoil energy. I hardly notice it in the moment, and we shoot a crap load of rounds on an average hunt morning. I'm still curious as to the cost of these things.
Heavier suppressors do. I prefer the Surefire line of "Mini" suppressors. My .308 can weighs 17oz, and my 5.56 can weighs 14.5oz. I also don't think anything but the "magnum" calibers needs a barrel over 18-20". Leverage matters, here.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Couple of hundred or more for a silencer, then you have to be fingerprinted, pay a $200 tax, and wait anywhere between 6 months and a year for the ATF to process your paperwork before you can pick up your silencer.

$200 for paperwork.

Paid a little over $1K each for my SF SOCOM cans. Then there is $130 or so per mount.

No, it's not cheap. Yes, there are cheaper suppressors out there.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
One word of advice - something I learned VERY quickly.....price doesn't equate quality with suppressors. There are several internet forums that have sections dedicated to suppressors with lots of members with a great deal of experience. I lined up a half-dozen, then asked for guidance/input, and Silencerco came to the surface time and again.

Another bit of advice is that sound attenuation quickly falls to the bottom of the list for most practical users when shooting supersonic.

-Durability
-POI shift
-Mounting system
-Flash attenuation
-Weight
-Backpressure

are typically things that users find themselves being more concerned with after the novelty of "Ooohhh...this one says it's "X.X" dB quieter based on a forum I read and a test by..."

Old 12-28-2014, 01:35 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,242,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I do I use electronic muffs that take out a very large part of the bark. I used to shoot 2 DCM matches a day, and that would be 130 rounds of .30-06. Pretty taxing on the ears, so I started using the electronic muffs. The do an outstanding job of dampening, and they amplify for range commands. A neat sideline to it is you can crank it up while hunting and amplify game movement. But I still want to surpress as soon as I can afford to do it.
Two pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs were under the Christmas tree with my name on them One for me, one for my shooting partner (wife or son, whichever is with me). I still want suppressors, though. I'll set up a trust for them (mo' money).

Old 12-28-2014, 01:46 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Silencer? What's next? Hunting with drones from a mile high.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:44 PM

966 posts, read 1,345,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
$200 for paperwork.

Paid a little over $1K each for my SF SOCOM cans. Then there is $130 or so per mount.

No, it's not cheap. Yes, there are cheaper suppressors out there.
It is not "paperwork" it is a tax, you are purchasing a Tax Stamp, the politicians could not ban machine guns, short barrel shot guns and silencers, so they tried to tax them out of existence, $200 in the 30s was A LOT of money.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Texas finally made it legal to hunt with a suppressed gun, so after thinking about it for, oh, 30 seconds, I set up a Gun Trust and ordered my first rifle suppressor.....

The host - a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag. Silencer - a Saker 7.62. Quick-connect install, so I'll be able to use it on other rifles as well.

Most folks recomment against suppressing the 7mm mag, because it's a supersonic round and therefore doesn't "silence" effectively. Well, they're correct.....to a point. It's definitely STILL going to be heard - but mostly because of the round going supersonic - the "crack" is still quite pronounced. Thing is, I took an 8-point buck Saturday morning with a doe grazing 10-15 yards away from him......and she never even stopped grazing!

One of the BIG benefits, however, isn't the sound reduction - it's the RECOIL reduction! It took the shoulder-hammer out of that beast - it's now closer to that of a .243. I had a friend at the lease try it for himself - standing 6-8 feet behind him, I was amazed at the reduction in noise signature - HE was ecstatic over the recoil reduction - enough so that he intends to order a suppressor for his .308 for this next season.

So.......if you've wondered about whether mounting a suppressor is really all it's cracked up to be, I can only tell you that for me, it definitely is something I'd happily do again. Actually, I have - I picked up my 2nd suppressor today, for one of my .45's - an Octane 45 HD. Still in the process of deciding on the host gun - it's been made somewhat harder by the fact that most of my .45's are either collector/more expensive, or "truck gun" grade guns I've acquired to do some evaluating on for my website. At this point, though, I'm leaning towards mounting it on a STI "Lawman" 5".
Please excuse my ignorance in advance, but......

What is a "Gun Trust"? Why do you need one? What do they do? And how do I "set one up"?

If it's off topic, please DM me. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:54 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Silencer? What's next? Hunting with drones from a mile high.
Strange response.

A silencer isn't silent, and doesn't make hunting easier. More than anything else, this is a piece of safety equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What is a "Gun Trust"? Why do you need one? What do they do? And how do I "set one up"?
An NFA firearms trust is a way to simplify the process of purchasing a legal NFA item, and can also be useful to work around certain local public servants who obstruct the process by refusing to sign the Federal paperwork. An NFA trust can also help with ensuring your family members can use and inherit regulated items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting