Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 06:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I thought we were discussing this within the context of government purchase of select fire weapons. The Mini-14 was good enough for the NYPD's Emergency Services Units until they switched to the M-4 which I doubt is less expensive even on a government contract.

NYPD shouldn't be used as a model for a darn thing. They used FMJ's until "recently" for crying out loud. They are so far behind the knowledge/proven fact curve that it's pathetic. They are probably one of the most anti-officer police-dept's there is. Look at the news. NOPE! Would NOT piggyback on their officer-involved decisions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 06:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,987,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Not "always".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Yorktown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Chesapeake

Without the French the war that won our independence may not have been won. I think the French military bashing is not warranted. Yes their leadership was poor during world war 2 but the soldiers fought. Look at Dunkirk and the delaying action.

On May 21, 1940, the First Army was one of the armies trapped in a vast pocket with their backs to the sea that would eventually result in the Dunkirk evacuations. As the Germans moved in, what remained of the once-formidable First Army was hopelessly surrounded at Lille but counterattacked and resisted fiercely in a delaying action aiming to buy time for the beleaguered Anglo-French defenders of Dunkirk. General Jean-Baptiste Molinié's 40,000 remaining men engaged seven German divisions (including the 4th, 5th, and 7th Panzer Divisions, roughly 110,000 men and 800 tanks), capturing General Fritz Kühne of the German 253rd Infantry Division in the fighting and halting the German capture of Dunkirk for three days.[2] It is estimated that the First Army's last battle allowed the evacuation of an additional 100,000 men from Dunkirk.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Army_(France)

France has been an ally since before we were a nation.
Congratulations, you have listed ONE event, for which maybe 1-2 readers of this thread were alive to **** in a diaper during.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:23 PM

189 posts, read 153,293 times
mini14.. The A-team rifle

Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Would be nice if the French police traded those Rugers in, maybe a friendly US president could re-import the pre-1986 guns back here to the CMP.
Trying to remember the NFA laws, but I don't think there is any way that those could ever make it onto the registry.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:40 PM

185 posts, read 405,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Concerning the alleged accuracy problems of the Mini-14....

It depends entirely on what your standards are.

If you are satisfied with 3-5" groups this is a rifle for you.

Typically, they are at least as accurate as most "run of the mill" A.K.'s.
Hell, my 580-series Mini couldn't get a 3-5" group at 50 yards, much less 100; even my cheap AK does better than that!!! The best thing I can say about the Mini is that it was always 100% reliable. The thing that finally drove me to sell it was that it was a real PITA to remove the bolt for cleaning. I don't miss the rifle at all; in fact, I replaced it with a Ruger AR-556, which is a much better weapon IMO.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Trying to remember the NFA laws, but I don't think there is any way that those could ever make it onto the registry.
Pre-1986 full auto or select fire can be acquired via the trust stamp from the BATFE, IIRC. (at least those of Ruger manufacture - the French produced ones most likely not)

I may be wrong, but the tougher thing would be to get them re-imported legally.

But I'd rather just get along with my original semiauto Ranch Rifle.
No need for me to burn the .223 up any faster @ 30 cents a round.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
Hell, my 580-series Mini couldn't get a 3-5" group at 50 yards, much less 100; even my cheap AK does better than that!!! The best thing I can say about the Mini is that it was always 100% reliable. The thing that finally drove me to sell it was that it was a real PITA to remove the bolt for cleaning. I don't miss the rifle at all; in fact, I replaced it with a Ruger AR-556, which is a much better weapon IMO.

I would not dare say you are wrong.....

Perhaps there was another issue at work on your rifle.

The accuracy (or lack there of), is not consistent with my experience over at least 5 rifles owned by me or my friends.

None were match grade... But, all could hold a halfway decent group (my reported 3-5") at 100 yards or more.

Did you ever look more deeply, such as a mechanical issues, or ammunition?

Old 11-22-2015, 09:20 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,658,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Pre-1986 full auto or select fire can be acquired via the trust stamp from the BATFE, IIRC. (at least those of Ruger manufacture - the French produced ones most likely not)

I may be wrong, but the tougher thing would be to get them re-imported legally.

But I'd rather just get along with my original semiauto Ranch Rifle.
No need for me to burn the .223 up any faster @ 30 cents a round.
That would be the issue. Pretty sure it can't be done.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:22 PM

185 posts, read 405,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
I would not dare say you are wrong.....

Did you ever look more deeply, such as a mechanical issues, or ammunition?
I put about 2000 rounds through it and tried a variety of ammo; the brand, bullet weight or type of projectile made little difference. I suppose there could have been some sort of defect with my rifle, but there is a pretty good body of anecdotal information on Mini-14s (prior to the 580 series and to a lesser extent within the 580 series), that would indicate that my experience was not out of the ordinary.

Last edited by Okie7597; 11-23-2015 at 08:31 PM..

Old 11-23-2015, 09:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I thought we were discussing this within the context of government purchase of select fire weapons. The Mini-14 was good enough for the NYPD's Emergency Services Units until they switched to the M-4 which I doubt is less expensive even on a government contract.
I guess because the NYPD chose it makes it a good rifle? It was most likely a decision made between cost and effectiveness. When they crossed the two the mini 14 was the closest " adequate" rifle they could get.
There are better rifles for the same or just a bit more money. Hell I would take a FN-FAL or a Springfield.
A good bean counter would be able to crunch the supplier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting