Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 02:59 PM

643 posts, read 471,936 times

Advertisements

The gun laws in America are a patchwork of state and local laws along with Federal law where its legal to own an AR15 or AK in one state but not in all counties or in one state but not another. Mags are the same. All one has to do is look at the disclaimer on the mag and gun sales web sites for a list of where they will not ship a gun. If the Clinton gun law or 94 crime bill did not have a sun down provision in it, I highly doubt there would have ever been the right combination of president and congress to over turn it. We would most likely still have that law. Its not really a clear cut on who is going to be the next pres. I don't think the house will turn Dem this election but that said, If the Hildabeast gets in I would not be surprised if she pushes the executive order thing past what even Obama has done on guns.

If she did she would most likely also put forward a much more liberal SCJ to take the place of A.S. who died this past bit. Tipping the court could also make for some revisions of settled law like the idea that the second amendment is an individual right not a collective one. I think this is why gun sales are so high right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 03:03 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
. Tipping the court could also make for some revisions of settled law like the idea that the second amendment is an individual right not a collective one.
The term "collective right" is an oxymoron; Either individuals have rights to protect themselves from SJW's and similar do-gooders, or they don't. That rebelliousness is central to the American character, and if we lose it, we will sink back into the stagnation, and corruption that characterizes Europe.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The term "collective right" is an oxymoron; Either individuals have rights to protect themselves from SJW's and similar do-gooders, or they don't. That rebelliousness is central to the American character, and if we lose it, we will sink back into the stagnation, and corruption that characterizes Europe.
Although I agree, its the same thing as when I told my friend who is a Tax Attorney that the income tax was unconstitutional. He said great don't pay it and they still take your home. The left sees the second amend, as a collective states right. I agree that is ridiculous but one can stomp your feet and yell about it all day long, if they pass a law that is backed up by a liberal SCOTUS it does not matter.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:03 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
The gun laws in America are a patchwork of state and local laws along with Federal law where its legal to own an AR15 or AK in one state but not in all counties or in one state but not another. Mags are the same. All one has to do is look at the disclaimer on the mag and gun sales web sites for a list of where they will not ship a gun. If the Clinton gun law or 94 crime bill did not have a sun down provision in it, I highly doubt there would have ever been the right combination of president and congress to over turn it. We would most likely still have that law. Its not really a clear cut on who is going to be the next pres. I don't think the house will turn Dem this election but that said, If the Hildabeast gets in I would not be surprised if she pushes the executive order thing past what even Obama has done on guns.

If she did she would most likely also put forward a much more liberal SCJ to take the place of A.S. who died this past bit. Tipping the court could also make for some revisions of settled law like the idea that the second amendment is an individual right not a collective one. I think this is why gun sales are so high right now.
A touchy subject for this forum.
But no I don't think you will see any change in gun laws on a federal level. Polls have shown that the voters are pretty much comfortable with the status quo on current laws. Yeah there are these mass shooting nuts that come out and then polls swing a bit in one direction, but when it comes to election time the status quo reigns and any politician that oversteps his bounds loses his job.
Politicians, even democrats, are very aware of this.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:02 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
In terms of realpolitik, as opposed to ideology, It would take a major shift in opinion to impose any sort of Federal blanket ban on gun ownership. It's a gut-reaction issue in virtually all the red states, and most of the blue states have a substantial lobby of outdoorsmen; and the only way t overrule those states would be by amending the Constitution -- ain't gonna happen anytime soon. The trend which scares me more than anything else is the complete emasculation of our young men by the failure of our public school system, courtesy of an increasingly feminized, and increasingly-militant NEA.

As for Hillary, she's already stirred up plenty of dissent within her own party, but if she manages to get elected, it's my hope that she'll be treated to a resistance and scrutiny that will make what was done to Richard Nixon look tame. Everything about the behavior of both Clintons in recent years leads me to believe they're extremely vulnerable, and I hope they get everything that's coming to them.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-12-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 11:20 PM

I think to get the combination of whitehouse senate and house to pass even a small ban such as 10 round mag cap, would be very hard. But I never underestimate the power of stupid people in numbers.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 PM

806 posts, read 877,462 times
Look for more stupid , state specific bans on various guns and mags .

Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
If Hillary is elected I forsee ongoing attempts to ban and confiscate most firearms. They have so stated.

I forsee most complying and later on quietly lining up at the gas chambers.

A few of us will go down fighting for the last vestiages of freedom.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:07 AM

The other side has taken a new tack, Moms whine for crap and doomberg have started a ground campaign. Instead of going for the Federal all or nothing they are chipping away region by region state by state. The worst and first are the usual suspects Cal, Mass, NY ect. The red states will be the last and hardest to convince that gun control is good.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Look for more stupid , state specific bans on various guns and mags .
Any look for more and more people ignoring it just like what we've seen in Conn, NY and CA. How many new felons do these morons want?

Grandpa Jones and his old vietnam era deer rifle becoming an instant criminal won't look good on a politician's record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting