Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:28 PM

17,702 posts, read 13,516,804 times

Advertisements

Little help please

Just picked up my new XDS last week.

Ran swab through barrel, clean. Made sure gun was oiled.

After about 100 rounds (Blazer Brass, Winchester white box and Remington--All FMJ). Using the 7, 8 and 2 different 9 round mags

All I could get off was 3-4 rounds before there was a failure to feed. Cleared mag and tried again with same results. Same thing happened to MrsM

I thought we were limp wristing or not hitting backstrap safety so I handed pistol to RSO. He had same result and he called a rep familiar with XDS--same issue. Since I got the gun at a different store, I didn't want to leave it at range for repair.

I bagged up the XDS and played with another weapon.

Is this a break in issue? Ammo issue? Malfunction that needs to go back to factory issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 PM

806 posts, read 881,727 times
Different ammo , different mags , not limp wristing ... you have a sick gun .

Old 11-12-2015, 08:34 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,296,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Little help please

Just picked up my new XDS last week.

Ran swab through barrel, clean. Made sure gun was oiled.

After about 100 rounds (Blazer Brass, Winchester white box and Remington--All FMJ). Using the 7, 8 and 2 different 9 round mags

All I could get off was 3-4 rounds before there was a failure to feed. Cleared mag and tried again with same results. Same thing happened to MrsM

I thought we were limp wristing or not hitting backstrap safety so I handed pistol to RSO. He had same result and he called a rep familiar with XDS--same issue. Since I got the gun at a different store, I didn't want to leave it at range for repair.

I bagged up the XDS and played with another weapon.

Is this a break in issue? Ammo issue? Malfunction that needs to go back to factory issue?
Questions...

What caliber?

Define FTF, is it extracting OK?

Is it not returning to battery?

Is it returning to battery with no round in the chamber?

Is it double feeding?

Is the round stuck on the feed ramp?

It's not a break in issue, that's for sure. It's not like a highly strung 1911 where a feed ramp polish isn't unusual.

Easy check for limp wristing, use the slide lock, slap in a new magazine, release the slide lock, if it chambers all the time every time locking back the slide and then releasing it for a full magazine then limp wristing is a possibility, if the thing jams while dropping the slide it's not a limp wristing issue. It doesn't confirm it's a limp wristing issue, but it can eliminate limp wristing from the equation.

There are a number of possible causes, some are pretty simple like the ramp polish, binding magazine follower or a weak recoil spring/bent guide, some are not, like the the barrel failing to fully recoil (which may be caused by the locking block or barrel), or some tolerance being out of tolerance at operating temperature.

Personally I'd RTM it. It's new, under warranty, if you get it back and it still got the problem, then you can investigate your form.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Questions...

What caliber? 9mm

Define FTF, is it extracting OK? YES

Is it not returning to battery? Yes, xcept when it doesn't feed

Is it returning to battery with no round in the chamber? NO

Is it double feeding? NO

Is the round stuck on the feed ramp? Yes

It's not a break in issue, that's for sure. It's not like a highly strung 1911 where a feed ramp polish isn't unusual.

Easy check for limp wristing, use the slide lock, slap in a new magazine, release the slide lock, if it chambers all the time every time locking back the slide and then releasing it for a full magazine then limp wristing is a possibility, if the thing jams while dropping the slide it's not a limp wristing issue. It doesn't confirm it's a limp wristing issue, but it can eliminate limp wristing from the equation.

There are a number of possible causes, some are pretty simple like the ramp polish, binding magazine follower or a weak recoil spring/bent guide, some are not, like the the barrel failing to fully recoil (which may be caused by the locking block or barrel), or some tolerance being out of tolerance at operating temperature.

Personally I'd RTM it. It's new, under warranty, if you get it back and it still got the problem, then you can investigate your form.
Thank you. See above in RED, I am returning to MFR

I cross posted in Springfield and DefensiveCarry.com XDS 9mm failure to feed.....Little help please gave a lot of help, similar conclusion that you gave me

Interestingly, nada in Springfield forum

Old 11-13-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Thank you. See above in RED, I am returning to MFR

I cross posted in Springfield and DefensiveCarry.com XDS 9mm failure to feed.....Little help please gave a lot of help, similar conclusion that you gave me

Interestingly, nada in Springfield forum
Read the responses on your link.

Who suggested the locking the slide back for a couple of weeks?

Firstly it's kind of silly, if the recoil spring was too strong you'd probably see stovepiping from weaker contact with the ejector and faster return to battery, not that the round isn't being chambered (although it wouldn't be, but you'd mention the stovepiping it being more obvious).

Secondly if the spring isn't "faulty" (meaning it does not have something inherently wrong with it, it's just over spec), it won't do anything. Compressing a spring won't weaken it unless it's compressed beyond it's elastic limit (which in recoil springs means breaking the spring literally, since the coils of the spring will be in contact when the spring isn't beyond it's elastic limit).

Well hope you get it sorted.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:10 PM

64 posts, read 41,115 times
I never bought into the absurd idea of "breakin" for a gun. If its built well in the first place it should work fine. That said in my experience most FTF is caused by the mags. I would bag it up and send it back.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imalumberjack View Post
I never bought into the absurd idea of "breakin" for a gun. If its built well in the first place it should work fine. That said in my experience most FTF is caused by the mags. I would bag it up and send it back.
It may be that simple, if the mags came with the gun, and were both pulled for the set at the same time from the same batch, you've got a better chance of them both being faulty than any other way.

That said if two mags were failing my first thought wouldn't be the magazines.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Read the responses on your link.

Who suggested the locking the slide back for a couple of weeks?

Firstly it's kind of silly, if the recoil spring was too strong you'd probably see stovepiping from weaker contact with the ejector and faster return to battery, not that the round isn't being chambered (although it wouldn't be, but you'd mention the stovepiping it being more obvious).

Secondly if the spring isn't "faulty" (meaning it does not have something inherently wrong with it, it's just over spec), it won't do anything. Compressing a spring won't weaken it unless it's compressed beyond it's elastic limit (which in recoil springs means breaking the spring literally, since the coils of the spring will be in contact when the spring isn't beyond it's elastic limit).

Well hope you get it sorted.
It's on it's way back to springfield

Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,973,226 times
Yeah I have an XD 9mm subcompact that I've had for several years now and it's my main carry weapon.
I seem to remember having a few FTF's when I first got it. Not excessive like yours, maybe 1 out of 100 rounds. I think what I did was polished the feed ramp. I suspect during the machining process some metal fragments remain in the gun and/or there are some imperfections in the machining of the feed ramp. Did you break it down when cleaning, not just a swab through the barrell? Also, it's possible to over-oil the gun, or oil in the wrong places, you only need a little bit...but you probably know this.

Otherwise I suspect you just got a lemon if it's doing this every other round, and you did right be sending it back. It's otherwise been a good weapon and after addressing the feed ramp it will fire anything I put into it without issue. Strangely enough, it seems to love even this cheap-ass Russian ammo I got in bulk, smokey dirty rounds, it will just eat it up without so much as a burp.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:55 PM

Default Breaking news

Time for an update

XDS came back today. Work order stated performed normally. They did a clean and heavy lube

So, I called Springfield and was told that tolerances are so tight that the pistol needs an extended break in period. I told Customer Service rep that that needs to be done at factory.

She told me that she carries either a 9 or 45XDS depending on where, and what, she is doing. She expressed same frustration and said she had to do the same break in with both guns.

Also said don't baby the slide. Just let it rack. I told her that no one should pull the slide to rack and gently holds it as it slides into battery. She said at least I knew what I was doing.

This whole episode kinda really p****s me off. Being a Glock guy, I'm used to taking the gun out of the box and feeding it anything.

Thursday is range day, lets see what happens.

I really hope all goes well, I really like the feel of the XDS. When it went bang, shots were right on with tight groups. I've gained enough weight that my G19 digs into my side. The XDS with IWB holster fits like a dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting