Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:56 PM

177 posts, read 313,098 times

Advertisements

Think we're missing the big picture here. How does someone go in and shoot up a school that was closed five years prior to the 'incident'? Check the internet wayback machine to see how their website flatlined after it was closed (unless it's been scrubbed clean at this point). Did anyone see any bodies or injured kids being treated on the lawn? Why was only one ambulance dispatched and ordered to stay at the bottom of the hill from the school? Why was one of the 'grieving parents' dressed up in FBI sniper garb wandering in and out of the scene?

The whole event was staged to fast-track gun control by the current administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:20 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,227,798 times

I wonder when people will be suing car makers and alcohol makers for drunk drivers killing people?

Old 04-20-2016, 10:32 AM

24,612 posts, read 17,356,422 times
This sounds like an attempt by a liberal judge and government to ultimately ban guns.
These lawsuits could put gun companies out of business or drive up the costs of their products so much that the average Joe can't afford them which is more or less a ban.

If a product is defective and causes harm to a person then go ahead and sue.
If a product is used as designed but someone uses it to cause harm then that person should be held responsible.
It seems like common sense but as we all know common sense isn't so common anymore.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I wonder when people will be suing car makers and alcohol makers for drunk drivers killing people?

Sure why not given the precedent that this case opens up.

If you cut yourself shaving and have to go to the hospital for stitches you can sue the razor maker. How about if you eat some old food and get sick enough to have your stomache pumped? Sue the food manufacturer and the grocery store where you bought it.

If I buy a dump truck and crash it into a group of kids waiting to get on the bus can those victims sue the truck company? It sure sounds like it now.

If a carpenter who is tired of working cut off his own hand with his saw can he then sue the saw company for loss of wages since he can't work anymore? It sounds like he could now.

How about the Boston Marathon bombing where pressure cookers were used to make the bombs? Can the victims sue the pressure cooker maker and Walmart for selling them? It sounds like they can now.

Talk about opening a can of worms.

I think this is a way to bankrupt the gun makers.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:53 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,079,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Deep pockets & a political agenda is what it is all about, IMO.

The grieving parents are being victimized by the antigunnut agenda and lawyers.
I feel sorry for the parents as well; however, the parents have to agree to the lawsuit, they are not being victimized in this regard.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:37 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,864,008 times
I understand the suit is because the manufacturer advertises the weapon as an assault weapon and such a weapon should not be in the hands of the public? That is the case correct?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:43 AM

4,573 posts, read 5,694,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro
Deep pockets & a political agenda is what it is all about, IMO.The grieving parents are being victimized by the antigunnut agenda and lawyers.
I feel sorry for the parents as well; however, the parents have to agree to the lawsuit, they are not being victimized in this regard.
I agree.

If you want to see grieving parents victimized by anti-gun groups and lawyers, look at the Lucky Gunner lawsuit, where Sandy and Lonnie Phillip were not only pushed into the lawsuit by the Brady Center, but even employed them during the duration of the suit (Lonnie's job included "adding names of gun owners to data base"), but apparently minimized the risk that the Phillips would be liable for the defendant's legal costs under Colorado law.

The Lucky Gunner lawsuit was dismissed, and the Phillipses were ordered to pay $203,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I understand the suit is because the manufacturer advertises the weapon as an assault weapon and such a weapon should not be in the hands of the public? That is the case correct?
Sort of -- the claim is that Remington's "Bushmaster" rifle is somehow more dangerous than other similar rifles, and should never have been sold to non-military. This claim is unlikely to hold up in court, and the majority of the claims will be removed under PLCAA once their lawyers make the right motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMirror
In their lawsuit, the Sandy Hook families argue the Bushmaster rifle should not have been sold to the general public because it is a military-style assault weapon unsuited for civilian use. They say the gun’s maker, and seller, should have known about the high risk posed by the weapon and the ability for a shooter to use it to inflict maximum casualties.
. . .
Blumenthal said he “could not say” if the Sandy Hook parents could win the suit “with PLCAA still on the books.” Though the PLCAA repeal bills are not expected to move in this Congress, gun industry liability has become an issue in the Democratic race for the White House.
On Thursday, Hillary Clinton said that as president she would “lead the charge to repeal this law.”
“Today’s ruling in Connecticut is an important step forward for these families, who are bravely fighting to hold irresponsible gun makers accountable for their actions. They deserve their day in court. Period,” Clinton said in a campaign statement. “Unfortunately, PLCAA – the sweeping immunity law that protects gun manufacturers and dealers – still remains a major obstacle for these families and others seeking to hold these gun companies accountable.”
While all this makes for good sound bites, the reality is that if you look at the design of this rifle and also the statistics, the lawsuit only is able to proceed because of politics and emotion.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:51 PM

34,136 posts, read 17,199,473 times
This suit treats the gun manufacturers like any other manufacturer. Just like the Big Tobacco suit, execs will now be deposed and internal documents will be provided as requested by the plantiffs.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This suit treats the gun manufacturers like any other manufacturer. Just like the Big Tobacco suit, execs will now be deposed and internal documents will be provided as requested by the plantiffs.

How are the gun manufacturers anything like big tobacco??

Big tobacco companies willingly added chemicals into their product to keep people addicted to them. Those people kept on smoking despite the health risk warnings because they were addicted. If you ask any smoker if they think that smoking is any good for them at all they will say no. I know a smoker and he calls cigarettes "cancer sticks" yet he continues to lite up. ?? It defies logic.

The gun manufacturers never suggested that their products could be used to shoot up a school.

There is great satisfaction to firing a gun and hitting your target. Good law abiding people enjoy the shooting hobbies to the point of it almost being a life style and certainly a heritage.
It is ridiculous to lump all those good men and women into one group of would be psychopath murderers just because the tools they use properly were misused by some evil idiot.

My fun car is a replica of a 1965 427 Cobra. It is essentially a street legal race car and though the car would like to peel out whenever the light turns green I am in control of it. I suppose if I ever drove it like a nut case leaving a trail of carnage behind me I could sue the people that produced the parts that allowed me to build my dream machine..

What is the difference between my foot being on the accelerator and the murdering psycopaths finger being on the trigger at Sandy Hook?

Comparing cigarettes to guns is crazy. One is built to be addictive the other is a tool required to be used safely by the purchaser just like a fast car.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,744,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
not from lawsuits. Nice try.
Actually, it has. They can and have tried but, Shall not be infringed and all that.. Law suits are government decisions. The law of the 2nd amendment says to them toughtitty and has for 230 years.

What changed? The text of the 2nd Amendment? Show me the amendment that allows government to infringe on my right to keep and bear arms.

Government has no say in what kind or type, manufacture, distribution, exchange, gifting, keeping carrying or use of any arms, unless someone is harmed.

There is no "what could happen" provisions. Or they would be right there in writing, within the 2nd amendment.

If we wanted government to limit our access or ability to make, keep or carry arms, it would be right there in the 2nd amendment.

There is a good reason it is not there and it does say clearly, Shall not be infringed. With the government stomping all over the very words that limit them, not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting