Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:48 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,038,178 times

Advertisements

I did a quick search to see if this popular rimfire gun had its own thread and was surprised to not find one. While this gun has been discussed in many other threads I feel it is a versatile enough platform to warrant its own thread. If there's one buried deep in the archives perhaps this one can merged with it.

I don't actually own a 10/22 but have been shopping for one for a while now. I've reached a point now where I've decided this will be my next gun purchase. I don't have a .22lr rifle, just a pistol and a .22wmr bolt action rifle. When my interest in firearms was reignited a few years ago my first choice for a .22lr rifle was the S&W MP15-22. My tastes have evolved and I'm not as big a fan of the "tactical" look and feel unless it's an actual tactically sound gun (read: an actual AR-15 or 10). The Ruger became the next obvious choice.

With that said, there are a lot of options even when you narrow it down to the 10/22, including many that look like an AR or AK, or SCAR, or M1 Carbine, or whatever else one desires. As I've mentioned, my tastes are trending toward a more "classic" look, and I think I've found the perfect trim for me. I've attached a picture: it's the "Sporter" model with a 22 inch SS barrel. I would not be adding a scope, though I've seen a lot of people do so and it looks really good with one.

I'm sure in our audience we have a lot of 10/22s out there in various trims and customs. I'd love to see your pics and hear your stories.
Attached Thumbnails
Ruger 10/22 Thread-ruk1022-22.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:37 AM

6,367 posts, read 7,808,518 times
Back in the mid-70s when I went to purchase my first rimfire rifle, the two popular choices were the 10/22 and the Remington Nylon 66. The Ruger was more popular, but I guess I opted for the Nylon 66 just because the idea of having a plastic stock was unique. I still have that Black Diamond rifle and looks as new as the day I first took it out of the box.

Just the other year at this time did I finally obtain a Ruger 10/22. The local range had a Black Friday special and I picked up the Takedown model for a pretty reasonable price. It's nice, but I don't use it much because last year I got a Henry .22 and that is a whole lot more fun with which to plink. I'm lusting after the Charger version of the 10/22, but will have to wait until I retire in March and move out of state as they are not allowed to be sold in my current state of residency.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM

1,180 posts, read 782,131 times
How similar is a 10/22 to a 96/22?

Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
How similar is a 10/22 to a 96/22?
The difference is between a lever gun and a semi-auto. On the 10/22 you get a round for every trigger squeeze and the action loads the next round as the weapon cycles. On the 96 the shooter working the lever after every trigger squeeze is what chambers the next round.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,428,974 times
I just bought a Ruger 10-22 Carbine a few weeks ago. Was going to buy one next spring but when they went on sale at Dicks for $50 off reg. price I bought one. $209 instead of $259
I take that and my Henry 22 lever gun to the range every week and alternate between the two.
Not a gun expert or marksmen.
I just like shooting 22's

Old 12-10-2016, 10:57 AM

4,574 posts, read 5,696,541 times
Lightbulb TANDEMKROSS, Volquartsen & KIDD

Ruger makes many different "stock" models, plus a few "distributor exclusive" model s. So even before changing out parts for aftermarket, you have quite a few options to choose from.

Here's a fully tricked out suppressed takedown model:

I don't have a current picture, but I swapped out my factory trigger group for a timney drop-in. Some of the guys I shoot with have basically replaced everything but the receiver, usually with KIDD and Volquartsen. KIDD even makes a bare receiver if you don't feel like starting from a factory 10/22 and just want to build custom from the ground up.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I just bought a Ruger 10-22 Carbine a few weeks ago. Was going to buy one next spring but when they went on sale at Dicks for $50 off reg. price I bought one. $209 instead of $259
I take that and my Henry 22 lever gun to the range every week and alternate between the two.
Not a gun expert or marksmen.
I just like shooting 22's
Yeah, that's a no-brainer. Good move. I considered the carbine because of the price but when I saw the longer and SS barrel for just a little more it was an easy choice for me. Plus having the sling swivels is nice. I'll probably order mine next month. I'll get some real picks up when it arrives.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:26 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,949,889 times
Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle. Basically - everyone that is a shooter should have at least one. It's just plain fun, ammo is cheap, etc.
For my .22 questions I usually go to this forum:
Ruger 10/22 Rimfire - Ruger Forum
Anything and everything regarding the 10/22 is discussed there.

My 10/22 has a walnut stock and I purposely wanted to keep it traditional looking. None of these appearance mods for me, AR15 look - I have an AR15, no need. M1 look - on my list of purchases for 2017 otherwise I have some other milsurp rifles. I also saw a Tommy Gun mod that looked really cool. But nahhh, appearance wise I will keep it mod free.
I did do the bolt release mod, which involves filing away the internal bolt release. Now I simply pull back the bolt slightly to release the bolt instead of always fumbling with the switch on the bottom of the gun. MUCH better. I also got a scope - Nikkon prostaff at x9 which is probably overkill for a .22 but it works excellent and is specifically designed for a .22.

That being said, modders should know the limitations of a .22. I don't really get all these accuracy mods, special barrels, trigger modifications, etc. It's a .22 - in stock form it's extremely accurate at 50 yards and has a limit of about 100 yards. No modification can change those limitations of a .22 cartridge. If you want a rifle to modify for long range accuracy get a Ruger American.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:45 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,428,974 times
I did buy this magazine last week because I like the fact that you can hold back the spring pressure and it makes loading easier on the thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z431UT7_-YU

Old 12-11-2016, 12:13 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,949,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I did buy this magazine last week because I like the fact that you can hold back the spring pressure and it makes loading easier on the thumb.
What's the benefit over Ruger's BX-25 besides easier loading (and I don't find loading too demanding)? BX-25 holds 25 rounds, this only 20 right? I've always seen bad reviews of other high capacity aftermarket 10/22 magazines although this one indeed looks of good quality.

edit - oh wait this holds 45 rounds I think? 20 is just for the stripper clip that you insert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting