Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,017,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

That being said, modders should know the limitations of a .22. I don't really get all these accuracy mods, special barrels, trigger modifications, etc. It's a .22 - in stock form it's extremely accurate at 50 yards and has a limit of about 100 yards. No modification can change those limitations of a .22 cartridge. If you want a rifle to modify for long range accuracy get a Ruger American.
I agree. That's why mine will be all stock and I'll not be adding a scope. But I can see why people like to make the modifications. It's just a fun hobby to a lot of people. And on this platform it's not all that expensive (unless someone chooses it to be).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 03:34 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,221,036 times
What is nice about any Ruger 10/22 is the numerous aftermarket parts available for it. One can turn a 10/22 into one of numerous configurations, from a simple shooter into a tack driver. But the advantage a bolt action .22 has over the 10/22 is that one can shoot .22Short rounds though it, which is quite handy if one does not want to make too much noise to kill a bird or two during a big game hunting season.

The Ruger Charger is another neat little gun. I bought one a few years ago when Ruger offered it with a laminated stock (sort of tan/gray, and black wood grain). I mounted a 2.5x red dot sight on it, and use it to take a grouse or two during the grouse season.

Old 12-11-2016, 04:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,632 times
Always wanted the 10/22, but was too cheap and went with the Marlin 795. No complaints.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:35 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,363,962 times
The day my first son was born in 1968 I bought him a new 10/22. Back then the standard carbine came with a walnut stock. He still has it in like new condition. Note the nice grain of the walnut:

Old 12-13-2016, 03:50 PM

17,220 posts, read 57,124,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Ruger makes many different "stock" models, plus a few "distributor exclusive" model s. So even before changing out parts for aftermarket, you have quite a few options to choose from.

Here's a fully tricked out suppressed takedown model:

I don't have a current picture, but I swapped out my factory trigger group for a timney drop-in. Some of the guys I shoot with have basically replaced everything but the receiver, usually with KIDD and Volquartsen. KIDD even makes a bare receiver if you don't feel like starting from a factory 10/22 and just want to build custom from the ground up.
How do you like that Timney drop-in trigger? Does it really just drop in, or is other work required? I have a couple of 10-22 rifles, one given to me years ago by my Dad - if I were to put a Timney in that one, I would want it to be completely reversible, able to restore to original condition with no parts cut.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:55 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,630,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
How do you like that Timney drop-in trigger? Does it really just drop in, or is other work required? I have a couple of 10-22 rifles, one given to me years ago by my Dad - if I were to put a Timney in that one, I would want it to be completely reversible, able to restore to original condition with no parts cut.
All you have to do is pull off the stock, let the pin slip out and slip in the new trigger set. The pin is held captive by the stock.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:23 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
All you have to do is pull off the stock, let the pin slip out and slip in the new trigger set. The pin is held captive by the stock.
Ruger company has there own drop-in trigger option as well. Reviews I have seen on it however have been mixed.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:34 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,630,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exxon View Post
The take down model is not as accurate as the standard model.
So far, I have to agree.
I bought a take down a couple years ago. I bought my wife a old blued carbine, put it in a new Ruger synthetic stock.
Both carbines have the same scope but hers seems to be more accurate.
As I have found with heavy heart. Many of my large caliber rifles are no longer as accurate as they used to be.
Part of me wonders if it is because I am almost 60 and my wife is in her early 40's.

Nope. I am sure it is a bad scope. Might take some tricks but I am sure I will win!

Old 12-15-2016, 10:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,298,392 times
Reminds me. 10/22 was my first rifle. Bought it in 1984 at Kmart. Back when they sold firearms. Cost me $150. I don't think it has even kept up with inflation.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:08 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,157,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

I don't actually own a 10/22 but have been shopping for one for a while now. I've reached a point now where I've decided this will be my next gun purchase. I don't have a .22lr rifle, just a pistol and a .22wmr bolt action rifle. When my interest in firearms was reignited a few years ago my first choice for a .22lr rifle was the S&W MP15-22. My tastes have evolved and I'm not as big a fan of the "tactical" look and feel unless it's an actual tactically sound gun (read: an actual AR-15 or 10). The Ruger became the next obvious choice.

With that said, there are a lot of options even when you narrow it down to the 10/22, including many that look like an AR or AK, or SCAR, or M1 Carbine, or whatever else one desires. As I've mentioned, my tastes are trending toward a more "classic" look, and I think I've found the perfect trim for me. I've attached a picture: it's the "Sporter" model with a 22 inch SS barrel. I would not be adding a scope, though I've seen a lot of people do so and it looks really good with one.
I don't. Friend of mine does, with a suppressor. That seems to be the only truly interesting use for them in his opinion anyway.

I'm assuming all those others mentioned exist due to the rise in ammo prices for .223 and .308 some years ago. Having a trainer in an inexpensive caliber, with the manual of arms pretty close to the original, is not the worst way to go. The only urban combative course I ever took with a rifle seemed like having the real deal would make the most sense, God forbid I ever need to use the skills. Hey, the US Army will teach you all that for free, in Basic, with a free tour of Afghanistan thrown in after if you're Infantry. Or several...

I never found much use for 22LR, I've had various (Marlin rifle, Ruger Mk II pistol) all since sold. Great starter guns, but otherwise...what's the point. Many other people obviously have plenty of use for them, so good luck with that. Few platforms are more modifiable than 10-22s, so sky is the limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting