Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:45 AM

13,282 posts, read 7,330,443 times

Advertisements

Thinking about getting one of these looks like a lot of fun I'm not sure on the barrel size yet I'm thinking the longer heavier barrel will make recoil easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvnpUpMeD8s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 06:33 AM

24,422 posts, read 23,084,509 times
Ruger has some high power options as well. the Super Redhawk in 454 casull, and the Super Blackhawk in the same as well as 480 ruger. I saw the Ruger Super Blackhawk for just over $700.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:43 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
For what? So you can join the line of folks that have bought one only to want to sell it but find almost no buyers as others know full well it's not a fun shoot. Full house 44 Magnum (240gr at 1450'ps) recoils at the rate of 22 ft lbs of recoil. The full house 500 SW (350gr at 1739'ps) recoil is at 45 ft lbs. It's twice that of a 44 Mag. You might want to look at ammo prices too. Even if you reload, it's an expensive plinker. I've shot one as well as several other pistol target shooters and hunters. They all agree it's a round nobody asked for or anybody wants. If you just have the 50 caliber bug, look at the 50 Action Express. Recoil is just a little more than a 44 Mag at 29lbs recoil. Nobody wants one of those either and many are sold dirt cheap.
Not reloads
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...fType=&from=fn

Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 PM

76 posts, read 56,943 times
My 44 mag Smith and Wesson 629 and Ruger Redhawk are just fine. Never felt the need to get the biggest latest thing. It reminds me of the people who have to wait in line to get the latest Apple POCrap release. I load the 44mag down so its enjoyable to shoot. Same with my 357. I don't want a gun so that I can say I have the biggest or loudest. Lots of money and expensive to shoot for nothing.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 PM

76 posts, read 56,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
For what? So you can join the line of folks that have bought one only to want to sell it but find almost no buyers as others know full well it's not a fun shoot. Full house 44 Magnum (240gr at 1450'ps) recoils at the rate of 22 ft lbs of recoil. The full house 500 SW (350gr at 1739'ps) recoil is at 45 ft lbs. It's twice that of a 44 Mag. You might want to look at ammo prices too. Even if you reload, it's an expensive plinker. I've shot one as well as several other pistol target shooters and hunters. They all agree it's a round nobody asked for or anybody wants. If you just have the 50 caliber bug, look at the 50 Action Express. Recoil is just a little more than a 44 Mag at 29lbs recoil. Nobody wants one of those either and many are sold dirt cheap.
Not reloads
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...fType=&from=fn
In the gun industry there are many new calibers that are a solution in search of a problem. 45 GAP was one, 357 Sig another. Even the 10mm for me was in that class. IMO if the 9mm 357 mag 44mag 45 acp does not do it then a gun is not the answer.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
I have shot one before, 3 times, did not like the recoil and have no intention of getting one. when firing big bore, I prefer my 454 Casull or my S&W 629 in 44 magnum.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Thinking about getting one of these looks like a lot of fun I'm not sure on the barrel size yet I'm thinking the longer heavier barrel will make recoil easier.
You buy it and after shooting a cylinder full you'll turn around selling it at a loss, plus offering a box of ammo with 6 rounds missing.

Don't forget to wear a head protection when you shoot because the recoil will bring the gun back strike you on your forehead and knock you out unconscious

Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Was at the range one day doing a little plinking and a fellow shows up with a 500 and sets up next to me. During the next 'range safe', he goes out and sets up his target rack as far away as possible. Must have been 100 yards or so. 'Range hot' was declared and I go about my business. Some minutes later, right next to me, I hear this huge BOOM!

I almost jumped out of my pants and without thinking, sprang back off the line with my piece still in my hands. The Range Officer was not too pleased that I did that. From then on, when the guy with the 500 took his ready stance, I put my pistol down on the bench and walked into the next, vacant range stall. At least there was a flimsy plywood partition that helped oh so slightly to mitigate that boom.

Don't think he shot a full box of shells before he left. Those things must be awfully expensive.

For those who are really curious, the range has one in their rental 'fleet'. In the times I've shot there, I've only seen it go out once.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:31 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,957,969 times
How does the .500 compare to a .45-70 revolver? I shot one of those the other day, it had a little recoil, but not uncontrolable.

I was thinking of a .50 for bear country. I have a .44mag, but feels a little small.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:11 AM

13,282 posts, read 7,330,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Was at the range one day doing a little plinking and a fellow shows up with a 500 and sets up next to me. During the next 'range safe', he goes out and sets up his target rack as far away as possible. Must have been 100 yards or so. 'Range hot' was declared and I go about my business. Some minutes later, right next to me, I hear this huge BOOM!

I almost jumped out of my pants and without thinking, sprang back off the line with my piece still in my hands. The Range Officer was not too pleased that I did that. From then on, when the guy with the 500 took his ready stance, I put my pistol down on the bench and walked into the next, vacant range stall. At least there was a flimsy plywood partition that helped oh so slightly to mitigate that boom.

Don't think he shot a full box of shells before he left. Those things must be awfully expensive.

For those who are really curious, the range has one in their rental 'fleet'. In the times I've shot there, I've only seen it go out once.

Do you normally get spooked easily while shooting at the range maybe some better ear protection I find ear muffs and plugs are lot better. Most rifles like AR-15's or 308's are way louder then a pistol just because of the speed of sound barrier being cracked. Do you ever shoot an AR-15? I find they are extremely loud.

When I take my full auto M-16 11" barrel to the range I usually take a table away from others because it is so loud.

The 500 mag is only about 1800 FPS I can get 1900 out of my 357 with 110 grain loads reloaded to max win 296. It's about twice as loud as a .44 mag using store bought loads.

I'm not buying it for any reason other then to add to my collection I find it to be something unusual sounds like fun to shoot I'm a collector. I'm not concerned about recoil I already own a super redhawk .44 mag it's nothing to shoot.

I actually shoot about 15000 rounds a year mostly reloads. I'm really not concerned about the cost of ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting