Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 11:42 AM

791 posts, read 2,959,960 times

Advertisements

For those knowledgeable about guns I have a question......

I am not sure if I should purchase a gun with or without a hammer.
Can you please give me the pros and cons of both?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 12:39 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
My husband has a 1911 (based on the traditional Colt 45). It's not a revolver, but rather a semi-automatic. It has a slide on the top that pulls back and when that happens, a round is put into the chamber and the hammer is cocked.

Revolvers also have a hammer.

I have a Glock 17, and it doesn't have a hammer. It has a "firing pin" which accomplishes the same objective.

I'm fairly new at the whole thing too. There's a ton to learn about guns, and depending on your preference and/or what it'll be used for, there are many different kinds.

Forums are a great resource for opinions and links to actual info (as opposed to opinions) and there are a million forums out there too.

If you're considering a revolver, you can just google "revolver handgun" or similar keywords, and see what pops up, and start from there.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Depends what you are going to use it for.

Some pistols are dangerous to carry concealed with a round in the pipe. If you load full up and then decock the hammer, you might drop it and if it lands on the hammer, it can go off. Hence, a hammerless gun, that won't usually happen.

But there are pistols made, with a hammer, that even if you load full up, and then decock, striking the hammer has no effect.

So it's personal preference. Either way, you can find a good gun in either Semi-Auto or Revolver that is hammerless.

IMO, if you carry and the gun is not ready immediately, you don't need to carry. You don't have time to lock and load in a stressful situation.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:11 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Ruger's "transfer bar" system makes for a very safe to carry revolver, if you want a "wheel gun".

Otherwise, a semi-autoloader with appropriate hand safety grip system or easy to reach safety is a good choice if you're going to pack a handgun.

Best to ask your local firearms dealer to show you the actual differences in the handguns which fit your hand and you feel comfortable firing. No point to having a firearm that you can't handle properly .... seek out the local training available to you, take the classes, and practice, practice, practice, practice ....

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Typically a hammerless revolver is for better concealment and so the hammer won't snag on clothing or in a purse.It is a double action revolver in this case,which means you must squeeze the trigger fully to fire the gun.This generally makes the trigger pull heaver,which means more force is needed.

A revolver with a hammer means you can **** c-o-c-k(sheesh they blacklisted the word) the hammer back making it single action which brings back the trigger so when you sqeeze the trigger and lighter force is needed.This is generally better for target shooting because the harder the trigger pull the more likely of hand shaking and less accuracy.

Actually I think some hammerless revolvers you can still **** it back,it just has a stub instead of a hammer to do so.

For most self defense purposes,a hammerless with a heavier trigger pull is better.You are not going to take a aimed shot like target shooting and a heavier trigger means less likely for a accidental discharge.

You can always have a gunsmith lighten the trigger on a hammerless also as a option.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:41 PM

11 posts, read 20,326 times
About how much do those run?

Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 PM

733 posts, read 4,655,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by republicofchrist View Post
About how much do those run?
Go to a gunshop with an indoor range and learn how to safely use any handgun. Practice, safety, practice, safety, over and over. This is not something you learn in 10 minutes! Try several, get the advice from a skilled gunsmith, and learn how to use the thing safely. You'll find out the cost when you undertake the foregoing activities.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Any standard double action will have pretty hard trigger pull really;unless used in single action mode. The pull will also be long in double action. Always take a course ;don't rely on the movies etc.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,875,374 times
It's all a matter of preference. Both types of weapons have their pros and cons.

Semi-automatics are usually preferred for concealed carry, not because they don't have a hammer, but because they can hold more ammo in their clips, and you can fire them more rapidly than revolvers with less effort on the trigger. Revolvers can usually hold 5 or 6 rounds in their cylinders, and semi-autos can hold 10 to 12 rounds, depending on the caliber, but with the powerful .357 or .44 magnum, and other powerful calibers, you won't need ot use all 5 or 6 rounds, whereas with a 9mm, you might have to fire 3 or 4 rounds to stop an attacker.

If you're new to guns, then I'd recommend a semi-auto, in the 9mm or 40 caliber.

The best thing to do is go to a gun store and look at both types of weapons and see how comfortable you feel with either type.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:07 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,890 times
Get a .40 Glock

Revolvers are obsolete for self defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting