Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 07:17 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gna...SFpsgR&index=3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 10:47 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
I wish the video would have shown more than just the resize, It would have been nice if the video would have also shown the Re-priming, the powder pour, & bullet reseat and crimp parts as well.

And rifle brass is a pain in the butt to work with compared to pistol brass.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:19 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Not much more than advertising for Hornady reloading components. If you showed this to a complete novice, I can assure you, they'd never get any case sized correctly. Setting up the dies that they just conveniently side stepped is extremely important in what you get out of a cartridge. You can do a full sizing or neck size only if the brass is going back in the same rifle. The difference is ammo and accurate ammo. I don't know of a benchrester that will ever full size any brass after it's been fireformed in the rifle. There are other ways to get the chamber and lands and grooves measurement. You don't need to buy anything if you have any kind of vision at all. The vid to me is a complete waste of bandwidth. If you know absolutely nothing about reloading, you still won't have a clue after watching a vid like this one. If you have a clue about reloading, this vid didn't show you anything you already didn't know. Like I say, this is just advertising for Hornady components which I won't have for various reasons. The biggest reason though is that their bullet seating dies use a sliding sleeve to keep the bullet straight in the die. That's great if all you load is jacketed bullets. But if you load the larger diameter lead, coated, or plated bullets, the bullet won't go in the sleeve as it's too big which makes it worthless.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:11 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,215,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Not much more than advertising for Hornady reloading components. If you showed this to a complete novice, I can assure you, they'd never get any case sized correctly. Setting up the dies that they just conveniently side stepped is extremely important in what you get out of a cartridge. You can do a full sizing or neck size only if the brass is going back in the same rifle. The difference is ammo and accurate ammo. I don't know of a benchrester that will ever full size any brass after it's been fireformed in the rifle. There are other ways to get the chamber and lands and grooves measurement. You don't need to buy anything if you have any kind of vision at all. The vid to me is a complete waste of bandwidth. If you know absolutely nothing about reloading, you still won't have a clue after watching a vid like this one. If you have a clue about reloading, this vid didn't show you anything you already didn't know. Like I say, this is just advertising for Hornady components which I won't have for various reasons. The biggest reason though is that their bullet seating dies use a sliding sleeve to keep the bullet straight in the die. That's great if all you load is jacketed bullets. But if you load the larger diameter lead, coated, or plated bullets, the bullet won't go in the sleeve as it's too big which makes it worthless.

I would agree, I have seen much better video's from RCBS, but RCBS all they do is the reloading, and their video was quite good.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:43 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I wish the video would have shown more than just the resize, It would have been nice if the video would have also shown the Re-priming, the powder pour, & bullet reseat and crimp parts as well.

And rifle brass is a pain in the butt to work with compared to pistol brass.
She has 6 videos. A different step in each.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:20 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:

This is one video in a series, and it's intended to give a very basic overview of reloading, rather than providing specific how-to details.

Who cares what bench rest shooters do? This video isn't intended for them, it's for a complete novice.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:53 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,938,069 times
Quote:
it's for a complete novice.

And a complete novice is going to get absolutely nothing out of it. All she showed was that she was able to pull the arm of the press down. Gee, wasn't that amazing! No reference to the different kind of dies, nothing about carbide dies, adjusting the dies. Nothing about loading straight wall cases vs bottle necked. And NO mention that they were sizing rifle cases, not pistol which is a completely different ballgame. A complete novice has better know all of this or he's a prime candidate from dying on the first pull of the trigger. It's "instructional" videos like this crap that gets people killed. The vids are nothing more than advertising and Hornady needs to put a stop to it before somebody gets hurt. I can see the lawyers lining up now.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:30 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,687,611 times
Quote:
And a complete novice is going to get absolutely nothing out of it.

I know reading can be difficult, but it appears that you missed an important part of my post. Here it is again:

Quote:
it's intended to give a very basic overview of reloading, rather than providing specific how-to details.
Quote:
All she showed was that she was able to pull the arm of the press down. Gee, wasn't that amazing! No reference to the different kind of dies, nothing about carbide dies, adjusting the dies. Nothing about loading straight wall cases vs bottle necked. And NO mention that they were sizing rifle cases, not pistol which is a completely different ballgame.
I guess listening is difficult too, when all you are doing is trying to find fault with the video. They clearly stated, multiple times, that they were loading .243 Winchester.

Quote:
A complete novice has better know all of this or he's a prime candidate from dying on the first pull of the trigger. It's "instructional" videos like this crap that gets people killed. The vids are nothing more than advertising and Hornady needs to put a stop to it before somebody gets hurt. I can see the lawyers lining up now.
Again, it's an overview of part of the reloading process, it isn't instructional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting