Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 04:23 PM

10,759 posts, read 5,676,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The US government has several option - sell to other countries or sell to the civilian market or, because it's the military, just keep stored in some warehouse because they don't know what else to do with it. Many times our allies, usually 3rd world countries, get our slightly aged armament in weapons deals (it's not exclusive to the US, all countries with weapons stocks do this).

But the US government also has the quasi-US distributor called CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) to sell surplus military arms. I bought an M1 garand there several years ago. Now they are selling surplus .45's although they are hard to get. However I doubt he will see any modern weapons there, it would not be politically acceptable to put an m16, even modified to fire semi, on the marketplace...even with the .45's they were selling (at a very high cost almost limiting it to the collector market) they were extra careful with vetting it's purchases (in contrast, my M1 was shipped to my house). Up until a few years ago they were selling 19th century trapdoor rifles (all sold out regretfully).

So, they will find it to 3rd world countries or sit in a warehouse. Many of these 3rd world countries are corrupt or just lack proper security controls and thus, many of the cartels steal the weapons that they use from their countries armories, or buy them from the corrupt generals in these countries.
Not just unacceptable politically, but illegal (based on policy, not law).

BATF policy is "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun." Even if converted to semi-auto only, it will still be considered a machinegun, and no new machineguns can be added to the civilian registry. This has been challenged, but I'm not certain what the current state is of that challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting