Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 12:56 AM

19,778 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

I'll kick it off. Took the green dog grouse hunting today. She was a pup from a litter we had in 2020 that got returned- she was never hunted solo. We took her up the mountain and back down with the goal of just getting her a first real contact on game birds. We managed that- the wife shot a dusky grouse and Macy did mouth it, and then later in the day she busted a bird without pointing, which is okay at this stage in her field work.

Nice day to be out. Hit the mountain at 8:30, back by 2:00. Lots of elk sign where we were at too. And the wifey used my 20ga to bag this dusky grouse.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 11:03 AM

Well here's one that has never happened in 13 years living here in the wooded north hills of Helena. What animal could set 4 bird dogs off into an absolute frenzy for days?

A pheasant rooster-

Apparently FWP stocked 40-50 birds about a mile or so down the hill at Lake Helena. Presumably for the pheasant youth hunt that started Saturday. Apparently one rooster decided to take refuge in my front property (which only has strips mowed where the drainfield is). So plenty of cover, seed and forage.

Yesterday my wife and I were working on a stone walkway and our young dog Macy must've bumped this guy. I heard the familiar cackle and take off. I wheeled around and said "Holy Shiite!! A rooster!!!". Then all 4 dogs took off like a rocket after the bird.

So I figured we'll never see that again in our lifetime. Ours is not pheasant habitat at all. Well this morning- he was back! It's kinda cool but my dogs have been ape **** bananas because of him, lol.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:42 AM

Bird numbers in NE Montana are really good this year. I’ve seen more Hungarian partridge this year than ever- that’s 13 years of coming here.

My new young dog, Macy, had her first solid point in some gooseberry thickets.

Unfortunately it was a porcupine.
Attached Thumbnails
2022-2023 Hunting-6df8c23d-a788-4e01-a7b6-a82eefb53a4a.jpeg  

Old 10-11-2022, 03:51 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Not much here yet, the early bow season is just getting underway.

I have been hearing geese in the air late at night (10-11) but I don't know if they're the first wave of migrants or just the resident ones, although they usually don't move at night, even with a full moon, unless something kicks them off the roost.

Did see a bunch of Mallards today in one of the marshes, but the same as with the geese as far as whether they're migrants or just the stay arounds showing themselves again.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:01 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Bird numbers in NE Montana are really good this year. I’ve seen more Hungarian partridge this year than ever- that’s 13 years of coming here.

My new young dog, Macy, had her first solid point in some gooseberry thickets.

Unfortunately it was a porcupine.
Ugh! De-quilling a dog is no fun.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Ugh! De-quilling a dog is no fun.
It was a tough call. When I’ve encountered porcupine 90% of the time they are in those gooseberry thickets or woody shrubs. I started pulling my dogs off point just because of the possibility of getting quilled. And as luck would have it, over the past 5-6 years I yank them out and a bird shoots out.

So this was her first rock solid point, so I came up along her side to peek into the brush and as soon as I broke past her nose and saw it was a porky she broke in. The good news is she had a good response- she jumped about 2 feet in the air and cried her butt off. Hopefully she’ll remember and not do that again.

But yeah I was solo so had to wrap my arm with my jacket, hold her neck down with my left elbow and hold her paw with my left hand and yank quills with my leatherman with my right. She tagged me a few times, lol.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:54 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
It was a tough call. When I’ve encountered porcupine 90% of the time they are in those gooseberry thickets or woody shrubs. I started pulling my dogs off point just because of the possibility of getting quilled. And as luck would have it, over the past 5-6 years I yank them out and a bird shoots out.

So this was her first rock solid point, so I came up along her side to peek into the brush and as soon as I broke past her nose and saw it was a porky she broke in. The good news is she had a good response- she jumped about 2 feet in the air and cried her butt off. Hopefully she’ll remember and not do that again.

But yeah I was solo so had to wrap my arm with my jacket, hold her neck down with my left elbow and hold her paw with my left hand and yank quills with my leatherman with my right. She tagged me a few times, lol.
I had to de-quill a couple dogs over the years. What I was found that works, if the dog will hold still, is to cut the quill if you can and then pull it out. Some old guy taught me that, something about cutting the quill makes the barbs on it relax and not open when your yanking.

We don't have porcupines in my part of Maryland so I haven't done it for decades.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:06 PM

If you get on them right away they are still soft and can be pulled out easily without breaking. So we do it straight away. Hold pliers just off the skin, don’t squeeze to tight and a straight yank.

Last edited by Threerun; 10-11-2022 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-11-2022, 10:36 PM

10,761 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
If you get on them right away they are still soft and can be pulled out easily without breaking. So we do it straight away. Hold pliers just off the skin, don’t squeeze to tight and a straight yank.
I always kept a muzzle in my dog first aid kit. It can come in handy.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I always kept a muzzle in my dog first aid kit. It can come in handy.
I could’ve wrapped her muzzle with a belt but it was hot out. Some soothe talking and comfort rubs and we were fine. Just a few yelps and bites for quills that were between her joints.

She’s right as rain today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting