Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 08:40 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Any standard double action will have pretty hard trigger pull really;unless used in single action mode. The pull will also be long in double action. Always take a course ;don't rely on the movies etc.
Good one, texdav. The first move: take a course in gun safety & gun handling, from professionals.

I don't know where you live, but here in Portland there are three sheriff's agencies who offer such courses. In one county there is a public shooting range, which has expert handlers and shooters (some marksmen and sharpshooters) on staff to teach safety and shooting. Probably any large city would have the same available to you.

I have a Glock .40, and am sorry I got rid of my .357 M686. So, more opinions!!! Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Get a .40 Glock

Revolvers are obsolete for self defense.
I'd have to respectfully disagree. If I can't get the job done with 5 rounds, I need to burn some more powder on the range.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:19 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
I agree about the training. I took the NRA Basic Pistol course ($125) and it was incredibly informative and useful, including a couple hours at the range with the instructor teaching us how to shoot properly and safely. Highly recommended!

Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 PM

I'd certainly suggest that a person who is unfamiliar with weapons take a lot more than a basic course. Join a shooting club, take courses from certified rangemasters...the basic NRA pistol course can barely cover what a handgun is. It takes time to learn what a weapon's capability is, and more importantly for you to learn what your reaction will be in a stressful situation. I'm not so sure they even teach that.

Like that old joke, how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice. IMO, a two hour long stint on a shooting range just won't cut it. You're trying to set up muscle memory patterns - that takes months.

EH, I agree! If you can't hit something with five rounds, I think the enire neighborhood shoot hit the deck, because you're not likely to hit your target spraying around 12 more rounds. Yup, I'm still mourning the loss of my .357...

Old 06-14-2008, 11:29 PM

252 posts, read 390,598 times
Smile Don't Tell Me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Good one, texdav. The first move: take a course in gun safety & gun handling, from professionals.

I don't know where you live, but here in Portland there are three sheriff's agencies who offer such courses. In one county there is a public shooting range, which has expert handlers and shooters (some marksmen and sharpshooters) on staff to teach safety and shooting. Probably any large city would have the same available to you.

I have a Glock .40, and am sorry I got rid of my .357 M686. So, more opinions!!! Good Luck
You got rid of your "Distiquished Combat Magnum"...?? hehe, I love mine!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlfamily View Post
You got rid of your "Distiquished Combat Magnum"...?? hehe, I love mine!
Yeah, I've regretted it ever since. We used to carry .357s, and when our department switched to Glocks, they offered us the option of purchasing our .357s for THEIR cost. Oy vey.

Oh, now I'm getting sad...wanna trade?

Old 06-15-2008, 07:40 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
I have a hammerless .357 S&W revolver. Pros-It's good because if you want to carry it in your purse/pocket, it won't get snagged on anything and fire. The trigger is also a little harder due to this. It's also pretty small and lightweight as well. Cons-You need to get a speed loader as it will make reloading so much easier. Also, I find it a little uncomfortable to shoot as where it rests in the crook of my hand, it gets sore after some rounds.

However, I like it personally. I would suggest going to a gun range and trying both out and see which one you like.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I'd certainly suggest that a person who is unfamiliar with weapons take a lot more than a basic course. Join a shooting club, take courses from certified rangemasters...the basic NRA pistol course can barely cover what a handgun is. ...

a two hour long stint on a shooting range just won't cut it. You're trying to set up muscle memory patterns - that takes months...
I have to disagree; First, I was speaking to the person who's looking to buy a handgun without knowing anything about them at all (i.e. hammer/hammerless/revolver). Taking the pistol course (you can rent a gun to use) is an excellent first step to become familiar with just that...the basics.

Surely you don't expect someone who doesn't own a handgun to spend months at the range setting up muscle memory patterns?

And incidentally, the NRA basic pistol course was a 10-hour course and covered the basics. I never said it produced experts; it produced "graduates" who are familiar and comfortable with the basics of operation and safety.

One of the other two people who were in the class with me had never even shot a handgun and had invested many hundreds in a .22 pistol that after taking the course he might have chosen differently.

For home defense a .22 is not going to have much stopping power against an armed intruder...but he didn't know that until after he bought the weapon.

In addition, he had bought the gun without ever shooting a gun and was a nervous wreck at the range after class. The instructor spent extra time with him, pounding the safety rules as well as stance and whatnot into his quivering noggin.

I felt that class was an excellent introductory course for basic handgun skills.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Surely you don't expect someone who doesn't own a handgun to spend months at the range setting up muscle memory patterns?

And incidentally, the NRA basic pistol course was a 10-hour course and covered the basics. I never said it produced experts; it produced "graduates" who are familiar and comfortable with the basics of operation and safety.

In addition, he had bought the gun without ever shooting a gun and was a nervous wreck at the range after class. The instructor spent extra time with him, pounding the safety rules as well as stance and whatnot into his quivering noggin.

I felt that class was an excellent introductory course for basic handgun skills.
Well, I never said you said it produced experts. It may be a great intro. But, it's an introduction.

You are inferring a lot with my statement on building muscle memory. I never said that people should practice for months before purchasing a weapon.

A class is a good first step. A good teacher will help you purchase a gun that is appropriate, unlike your poor classmate there.

Building muscle memory is a comment on the realities of properly understanding and respecting a weapon, whether you have the best eye/hand coordinaion on the planet or not.

I would sooner trust a 12 year-old with a weapon, who's been well-trained by their dad,mother or brother, than someone who's entire history of shooting is on a two-hour-long range course. That's been my personal experience, and it is meant in a general sense -nothing personal!!!

I say again, a two-hour stint on a range just ain't enough. Threfore, you were treated to my very original joke about Carnegie Hall. Practice with a friend, practice with an experienced shooter, practice, practice,practice with someone who knows what they are doing.

You don't need to defend a personal opinion. That's all we're offering here. No arguments, just different opinions. Let's just agree to disagree on a few points...

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 06-15-2008 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: spelling...

Old 06-15-2008, 01:42 PM

I didn't mean to argue...I'm just saying an introductory course is helpful, and will allow the user to better select an appropriate weapon and use it safely. At that point, they can practice, practice, practice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting