Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 PM
kbg kbg started this thread

223 posts, read 347,011 times

Advertisements

Who out there has the bragging rights for the biggest buck this season? I have passed on a few and still waiting on the premium tall tine I know is around. What method did you use, what was it taken with and time of day?

Happy Hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 07:38 PM

8,808 posts, read 10,268,375 times
I'm sure someone else got something bigger than mine but since no one has responded yet, I'll start off.

I went for the first time with my uncle the day after Thanksgiving, he has a "Stand" attached to a tree on some property he owns out in Granville County, NC. Brought a .308 High-powered rifle I believe it was. Spotted a buck who looked to be about 20 in human years(Sorry, not familar with deer), he walked up near the stand and spotted us and just stood still, then turned to the side and started to walk, I took the shot around 8am and hit him in the lower stomach.

Again, not a big buck

Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,820,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I took the shot around 8am and hit him in the lower stomach.

Again, not a big buck
I don't believe that I would'a told that one, brother!

I had a good season last year and decided this would be more of a management year. I took a very odd looking six pointer the weekend after season opening. He aged at about 5 1/2 years, dressed out at 185 lbs., which is probably about 95th percentile for South Texas Whitetails. Very heavy horned, very heavy bodied, very unusual rack. His browtines were unusually long, the mainframe tilted up at about 40 degrees and his G1 split from the mainframe about where the G2 should have been (if that makes any sense). He had a definite "pronghorn" look to him. He was taken at daybreak retreating to his daytime hideout. I glassed him at about 180 yards in a senderro that had been cut over the summer. He paused to look at me for just a second; I had to hold directly over his broadside shoulder and do a force squeeze. In spite of the less than ideal shot conditions I managed to be surprised by the detonation. I watched his egress pass and marked his last location, waited about 10 minutes before emerging from the blind and began the track.

Inspection of the area where he was shot yielded no evidence of a strike. No hair, no blood, no tissue. Hmmm... I walked his egress path, no sign apparent. I went back to the point of impact and crawled his egress path, still no sign. At this point I began to get upset. I knew that the ranch manager would be coming to the blind to inspect the kill and I thought I would have to explain a clean miss with hat in hand. UNHEARD OF!! PREPOSTEROUS!! I experienced a definite sinking feeling as I stood up, preparing for a great deal of verbal abuse. As I stood I glanced to my right. There he was. Inspection of the quarry showed that he was hit about 1" high from point of aim and that there was no exit wound. Very unusual for a 30-06 at less than 200 yards. Further inspection revealed that both lungs were collapsed, the aorta pierced and the slug had lodged in the ball of his leeward shoulder. Go figure.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:29 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,430,459 times
I'v taken a few deer so far this year. Our bow season goes thru the end of Jan.

Only one buck so far, a nice deer with a small 5 point rack.

I was sitting in a ground blind watching two does feeding & milling around. Had just about decided to take one of them when they both stopped eating & looked past me at something I could hear but not see. Eventually I saw him coming, looked as if he would walk right next to my tent but about 5 yards away he winded me. You could tell he had no clue where I was at or if I was still around.
He made a 60 yard circle looking for me before stepping into the open. Not very impressive as a trophy but to me theyre all trophys & gifts.

I often get my best deer in late Dec or Jan after the rut so hopefully I'll put something with more horn down.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:47 AM

968 posts, read 2,592,538 times
I didn't see a thing all season. Weather was horrible. LOL

I can post up some nice fish tho.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:49 PM

50,484 posts, read 47,254,503 times
I got two weeks left and since I didn't get a shot off in rifle I'm back to either muzzleloader or bow. Heck, the next Doe that gets too close is getting an arrow

Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 AM

I got another onTuesday. Nice 9 point dressed at 120. Probably close to 160 before the rut.

I'm done for myself now but have till the end of Jan to get my son on a deer.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,820,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I got another onTuesday. Nice 9 point dressed at 120. Probably close to 160 before the rut.

I'm done for myself now but have till the end of Jan to get my son on a deer.
\

Tin,

I love ya', but he probably dressed at 120 because he's 2 1/2 years old...

Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Maybe, I'm not a biologist.
A friend of mine, thats not a real bioogist either, works with nusiance animal removal. He's pretty knowledgable, I think so anyway.
He has those flesh eating beatles & does skull mounts for folks.

I skun the head & dropped it off & by the teeth he said 3&1/2. Might be right, might be wrong, but I tend to trust him.
Its pretty common knowledge they lose a bunch of weight over the rut & I guessed 30 or 40 pounds. Might be more might be less but I think its a fair guess.

All that matters more to other folks than it does to me anyway, I wasn't trying to elevate him.

Every deer I get is a trophy, especially with a bow.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM

13 posts, read 22,414 times
My big 6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting