Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

With ammunition so scarce and spendy and certain handloading components getting that way as well have you curtailed your shooting? I put my AK's up and sealed what ammo I have for them in cans with dessicant. I still shoot my M1A and 22's seem to be the norm for lengthier range sessions. My son and I are reviving our interest in our cap and ball guns as well. These were mainly reserved for blank ammo in reenactments but with the crunch on cartriges it seemed a decent way to get our gun on without spending a fortune. We have six revolvers, 5 Colts and one Remington, my son has a .50 Hawken and I just picked up a nice "little" 63 Sharps Cavalry carbine in .54. We are heading out to the range today to burn some fffG and make some smelly smoke.. We get our powder at a cut rate through the reenactment club and our caps as well so that makes it nice. Since they take longer to load it makes the shooting seem to last longer as well. So, what , if anything are ya'll doing diffferent these days to get your shooting fix? Lol, we are going to set up some B27 targets at pistol and rifle ranges and see if it's really as easy as Clint Eastwood makes it look in The Outlaw Josey Wales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 02:01 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
My .50 has not been cleaned in so long I may need to replace the barrel. I was getting pretty quick getting 3 shots off in a minute.

Ammo is good here in So CA, up in Yosemite my father in law can't buy anything. He said it sells out the day it comes in. Some rounds like the 45/70 I have been buying online

Old 04-04-2009, 02:27 PM

I've got a pretty good ammo supply stocked up in .5 ACP, .45Colt, .308, and 7.62x39, but the latter is just not to be found any more it seems.. I like to shoot the AK's but I can't replace the ammo right now but .308 is still available and the .22's are always fun. We just got back from trying out my new Sharps.. The .44 Colts did really well on the paper at 25 yards and the .54 was just a HOOT. Gotta love them old smoke makers. I cn't bring myself to use Pyrodex either. It just ain't the same ya know. It's not as messy but the mess is half the fun.. Oh, that Sharps is a sweetheart of a piece. The old cap and balls are a good way to get some shooting in without breaking the bank. The Sharps generated a lot of interest from some other shooters out playing with their AR's and such to. Lol, lots of " would you mind if I tried that thing". The old girl just has style I guess..........

Old 04-04-2009, 03:58 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
I was having problems finding the 7.62x39. I finally found a store about an hour drive away that still has it in stock so I have a friend going to pick some up for me on Tuesday. He's going to buy me the 500 round block and I'll pay him back. Every store around me is sold out though so I was happy to hear that this guy had it in stock and had the bulk buy as well. I might have to drive down in a couple of weeks and get another 500 rounds, just so I'll be stocked up and can still do a little target shooting.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
I took up the spear.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:12 PM

415 posts, read 972,612 times
Yeah we are having certain shortages here in South Dakota too. Especially .22 rounds. Cabalas up here in Rapid is completely out of the affordable boxes and they told me they have 2 1/2 million rounds on back order but won't see them till around june or july. I only currently own a 12 gauge Shotgun and a .22 although my father owns around 20 Rifles and some handguns. No priority for me to get anymore because I will inherit what he owns since my brother is now an ex felon and can't own them and my sister only wants one pistol for self protection.

I think whats really going on is that .05 cent a bullet tax law they have been talking about (although they are only talking about it right now and no one is sure if it will, most likely will, pass and when it will pass) so people are stocking up now. Alot of people are stocking up now in regards to the serialized ammunition they are talking about as well, bullet and casings with Serial numbers on them and thumbprints to buy the stuff. And according to what I read, once that stuff is mandated it will be our responsibility as honest citizens to destroy our non serialized ammo. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.
I've got almost 10000 rounds of .22 and several hundred 12 gauge rounds and I plan on getting 2-3 boxes of more each payday if I can find them.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,294 times
45's hard to come by. My husband is reloading and even the bullets are back ordered. Last time he called the company, they said mid April but can't even promise they will be in at that time. At this point, he is rationing out what he has until he's able to buy more supplies. It's nice saving money reloading but not when you can't buy supplies.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:04 PM

I'll be using up some of my handloading supplis for .45 ACP during this competition season, but it won't dry me up. For our informal fun days and plinking we are getting heavily into black powder. I just ordered 500 .54 cal cast bullets from Dixie, and we took the .44's out again today. Lol, when it takes 10 minutes to load the gun it can sure stretch out a range session. Sure is fun though, and shooting these period firearms makes shooting modern ones a snap. Being as I can use pig lead for projectiles and I have about 500 pounds of the stuff laying around bullets aren't an issue ( for the.44's no mold for the.54..yet) and caps and powder are easy to get we can play Josey Wales for quite a spell. Performance out of the revolvers is actually quite good. Out to 50 yards we can put six holes in the 10 ring on a B27 with no problem. They bowl Jack rabbits right over as well and make the shooting a bit more challenging. LMAO, no two handed holds...the rule is ya gotta do it like Hickock did. Fun fun fun

Old 04-05-2009, 05:09 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
45's hard to come by. My husband is reloading and even the bullets are back ordered. ,,,
I am thinking of picking up some molds so I can cast my own.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:46 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,016 times
The ammo shortage isn't here for my guns. However, the prices have been going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting