Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
How do you go about getting a hand gun just to have for self defense in the state of Arizona? What are all the steps required/needed in order to do so?

Thanks.
Many states do not allow possession of firearms if someone filed a restraining order on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
All states have a wait period, but not necessarily on used firearms. NV and AZ do not have wait periods on used firearms that I am aware of.
No waiting period in Alabama, new or used firearms. Instant NICS background check & you are good to go if you pass.

Some county sheriff office also have instant NICS background check for your concealed carry weapon (CCW) permit. I go in, fill out a form, she types them into her computer and 30 seconds later she smiled and say "$15". 2 minutes later I walked out with my CCW permit.

We encourage responsible gun ownership. It is called "Southern Hospitality"

Old 10-18-2013, 12:09 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
In WA, you determine what sort of weapon you want to, or should be using (my simple & basic thoughts outlined below, based on years of experience, and for what it's worth for a first gun.. feel free to discard it all!).

Then you purchase it, and have the FFL do the NICS check. If it's a handgun, there has to be a submission of the State paperwork, which provides Olympia with what is essentially a firearms registration, and you also provide your local LEO with a copy of that same paperwork. Then they both know where your new handgun is! Nice, huh?
I never ever received a proceed on a dealer handgun sale in WA, before I held my (now expired and invalid) CPL, they all timed out after 5 days and the dealer released them to me.

Is it still that way, or have the processing times improved?

AK's regs are simple, long guns or hand guns same deal, fill in 4473, NICS call and approval/denial, and take your new toy home. No waiting period.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:14 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
My wait period is Texas is about 30 minutes - which is the time it takes to process the paperwork, run the BG check, pay for the gun and take it to my car.
Yep. In OK, it took me longer to find the one I wanted than it did to buy it and walk it to the car.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
In Arizona (assuming you are an Arizona resident - they don't like to be presented with California identification much) you walk into a firearms retailer's place of business, you examine your options, inform the attendant which firearm you would like to purchase, you will then fill out a BATFE Form 4473, the attendant will then verify the information against your ID and call the FBI's NICS hotline to recite the information listed on your Form 4473 for an NICS background check. If you pass he will accept your tender in exchange for the firearm, which you then take home with you. If you do not pass, he will not sell the weapon to you.

Pretty simple. No waiting period.

EDIT: Good Lord this thread is old. I didn't notice that at all.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
I always wondered if it was still legal to make your own. Years back I machined one from steel stock and some cast parts. It was inspired by a Ruger service six.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I always wondered if it was still legal to make your own. Years back I machined one from steel stock and some cast parts. It was inspired by a Ruger service six.
Yes, indeed, it is still legal. However, you can't sell it legally without a manufacturer's license. It's supposed to be for you only. I have a conversion cylinder which converts my Ruger Old Army, a gun that does not fire fixed ammunition into one that does. That means when I drop in the conversion cylinder I'm manufacturing a gun. When I remove it the gun is no longer a firearm covered under federal law but it may be under the laws of your state.

To the OP and others:

Most states allow private sales of firearms without any paperwork. You'll save money as well. If your state allows private sales check your local paper, armslist.com and definitely visit gunshows where you'll see thousands of guns and talk to far better informed people than those in gun stores. Before you buy ask if it's private sale or if he's a dealer. If he's the latter move along. The best ones are usually a couple who look like someone's grandparents.

I'm with Rifleman on his choice of a first defensive gun. If you can afford it, however, I'd buy a .22 as well. They're pleasant and cheap to shoot. You'll end up shooting more because you'll really enjoy the .22 more, especially as as a beginner. Here's a great first book on guns and gunfighting. Read the reviews; buy it tonight.

http://www.amazon.com/Second-Place-W...d+place+winner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting