Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:10 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,542 times

Advertisements

Still can:
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
...( Snip for brevity)
I can remmeber when you could buy a M1 from the government ..
...( SfB).....

That would be the old DCM program , currently called the Civilian Marksmanship Program and still doing what Congress told them to do:

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilian_Marksmanship_Program

Some things have changed , it is much easier for any US citizen ( with a clean record ) to become qualified buy a historic USGI rifle from CMP. People do not need to be NRA style bullseye target shooters anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,983,892 times
These are coming onto the general surplus market NOT though CMP.

I'm glad I have my Relic and Curio Collectors license. Time to stock up.

Here is the link to the CMP.

CMP Home

I've got an M1 rifle and an 1903 rifle from them.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:25 AM

That is correct. This batch is not coming back thru DOD channels and further to CMP.

The ROK's are offering this batch of 100K+ Garands & carbines for sale to US commercial importers.
CMP is consistently the best deal in town , but not always the only game in town.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:23 AM

571 posts, read 1,317,873 times
Unfortuneately, there is a law that forbids U.S. Military hardware that was given to foreign governments from being brought back for sale privately in the U.S. THE CMP gets its stuff from U.S. stocks not directly from overseas groups. Th Norewegian Garands were returned to the U.S. Govt., not to private gun dealers.
I truly wish that these Garands and Carbines could be sold to private owners in the U.S. buty the political situation being what it is, I don't think it will happen.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:20 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I hope the Koreans have kept those M1 Garands, and M1 Carbines in a very dry area that's free of anything that causes rust. I know those weapons were originally coated with some type of oil that prevents rust, but I'm not sure how long that oil will last.

I'd love to have one of those Garands.
If they have been shelved with the Cosmoline coating intact, they should be essentially "mint" condition. That stuff doesn't really dry out. At least not within a human lifetime.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:17 AM

The whole re-import vs return to the US Dept of Defense issue is complex and confusing.
There is some very germane info buried on the CMP site. My net-kwondo is weak -- I can't get a direct link to work. So:
www.thecmp.org
Click on: M1 Carbine ( under Rifle Sales ).
Scroll down past: ** " Bavaria Marked Carbines " ** and further to just under the picture of the reciever marked " Bavaria Rural Police ".
Click on the link under: " Further information in regards to the history..."
Go to: Export/Import.

Then covet the deals from the 1960's. And the 1970's.
And learn about the 1993 imports of M1 Carbines. Over 7,000 M1 Carbines made it back during the 1990's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting