Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I'm sure you are careful with your home defense loads, but it was discussed on another forum I visit and the biggest downside of using reloads for home defense is the potential for a lawsuit. A sleazy attorney will use anything they can against you if you have to defend yourself from one of those guys are are commonly described as "my baby di-nt do nuffin'". I'm in the process of buying my reloading equipment but I will always have my home defense weapons loaded with factory ammo.
Correct. An attorney need not be sleazy, just competant to do their job. Same goes for alterations to the defensive firearm from "factory". "Expert testimony" will question why one thinks he/she knows better than the manufacturer of either the firearm or ammunition used for self-defense.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:30 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Glad you feel comfortable enough to speak for "most women".

I was not suggesting on "control the situation" with a kitchen knife. I was suggesting that this is a readily available self defense tool that women know how to use with no additional training and almost every home has a few.

Bird shot? NO. Double 00 Buck, yes.
my kitchen comes with a Glock 19 that's always on the counter

(in a case and no kids live in the house)

I'm also glad I live in a state where you can defend your property with whatever you feel is needed. Screw the attorney trying to dissect why you did what you did and why you used what you used. The BG was in your house, you felt threatened, you stopped the threat. the end

Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altpence View Post
A kitchen knife makes one get to close to control the situation. A gun is the only weapon available to the avg. home owner that they can control a situation without being on top of it. I only recomend a revolver to people who do not want to get into guns. I personally love the way a auto works. I have a colt that is a bit pickey about what it digests, I have a Glock that seems to take anything fine. I reload myown and have had some that work well others that seem to hang up depending on how they were loaded. If the dies were clogged up with gunk or lead I have had it make the sizing a bit to large for some tolorances. As for a double gun that will scare the crap out of anyone not on PCP but most women will not want to use it. A double gun is very deadly at close range with bird shot. hundreds of little pellets spreding out doing a lot of tissue damage. Hence the old saying give them both barrels was said for a reason.
First rule... Never bring a knife to a gun fight. Ever. Clear enough?

Bird shot? In a handgun? I disagree. Pistols are effective at close range. If you are dealing with an intruder I would want accuracy instead of bunch of shot fanning out and doing collateral damage.

Now a shotgun with bit of distance and need for defense, alternate between slugs and 00 buck shot.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 PM

105 posts, read 353,565 times
If you are looking for an inexpensive handgun that works well for most people, I'd go with the Smith and Wesson SW9VE or SW40VE. These guns usually go for $340-$350 or so and often have mail-in rebates or free extra magazines coupons.

A Handgun Review: The Smith & Wesson SW9VE Enhanced Sigma 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Good luck!

Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
If you are looking for an inexpensive handgun that works well for most people, I'd go with the Smith and Wesson SW9VE or SW40VE. These guns usually go for $340-$350 or so and often have mail-in rebates or free extra magazines coupons.

A Handgun Review: The Smith & Wesson SW9VE Enhanced Sigma 9mm Semi-Automatic Pistol - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Good luck!

There is a reason that military and LE (after enough deaths) stay away from allowing pistols with the Schwartz safety. Don't do it! Colt designed it and discarded it after they realized it was going to get people killed. S&W attornies figure it is better to cover the company's backside as far as product liability rather than to look out for the life of the person using the S&W pistol containing the Schwartz safety. Would you bet your life on one? Not me!

Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post

Good luck!

I wouldn't recommend buying a Sigma series pistol until you put a couple hundred rounds through one. I bought my SW40VE without firing it and after a day at the range, i had two, substantial cuts between my thumb and forefinger from the slide cycling. Then I went home, worked on my grip, same issue again.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:44 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
I have been wondering exactly what is so bad about the Schwartz safety and it is one of the few things I have not been able to find out through a Google search. I would appreciate a little schooling on the subject if someone wouldn't mind.
As far as getting tore up by the slide, how high are you holding it? The only time I've ever seen that happen was when my son (big hands like mine) was testing out a 38T, which is way too small for most guys if you ask me.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:52 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
RD, well i thought i was holding it too high, but i tried to modify my grip and couldn't prevent it, so i sold it...

i am 6'2" with pretty large hands, so I figured the issue was me, not the gun, but I still recommend test-firing a gun before purchasing if at all possible

Old 12-31-2009, 06:00 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
A double action revolver is a great home defense tool, especially for folks not to familiar with firearms. Its quick into action & very unlikely to have a negligent discharge.

I just got a Ruger GP100 for Christmas & while its not primarilly for defense it would serve great in that capacity.

I agree with those talking about not useing handloads for defense. Thats why I generally use a 9mm of one sort or another for protection. I dont load for 9s but I do for 357 & most others and dont want the extra hassle I might get if I had to shoot someone with ammo I built. Its stupid, but so are many other legal things folks need to deal with.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:07 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Most economical home defense pistol is a 357 revolver loaded with two rounds of buckshot, the rest solid bullets. For an explanation, take a home defense course.
Of course, if youngsters have access to your home, a handgun is just a bad idea waiting to happen. The chances of a tragedy outweigh the defensive value, at least until the children get to the age where they can be trained properly.

What age is that? Mine were shooting at 4 years old & now at 11 & 13 can outshoot many adults. Also they dont play with guns because theres no mystery. Of course I keep all of them except a carry piece locked up.

I'v taken a few courses & nobody ever mentioned buckshot in a 357. Seems absurd, how many pellets can you fit? JMHO but if you want a shotgun use one, revolvers shoot bullets. Those Glasser slugs are another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting