Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 AM

263 posts, read 759,440 times

Advertisements

I have 3 handguns that were my brother's and dad's and they both passed away. I believe, but not 100% sure they are a .22, .44 or .45, and a 357. They are locked in a fire proof lock-box and I don't know where they key is. I believe the guns were all bought no more than 15 years ago. Does anyone know how much those type of guns listed above are worth? I have a friend who is into sporting clays and hunting (although, I don't think those are hunting guns HOPEFULLY as I hate hunting). If they're not worth much I might just give them to her. Can that be done? The guns and my friend are in the state of Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 11:32 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,660,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSideGirl310 View Post
I have 3 handguns that were my brother's and dad's and they both passed away. I believe, but not 100% sure they are a .22, .44 or .45, and a 357. They are locked in a fire proof lock-box and I don't know where they key is. I believe the guns were all bought no more than 15 years ago. Does anyone know how much those type of guns listed above are worth? I have a friend who is into sporting clays and hunting (although, I don't think those are hunting guns HOPEFULLY as I hate hunting). If they're not worth much I might just give them to her. Can that be done? The guns and my friend are in the state of Pennsylvania.
First you need a locksmith to open the safe. Value is not determined by the size of bullet. You will want a gunsmith to give you a idea of value. Once you have the brand, model and caliber you can research value on your own to confirm the gunsmith.

Your post says LA CA, but the guns are in Pennsylvania, as long as you do not bring them into CA you should have a easier time of selling and transfer.

Although some people hunt with handguns, this is not the normal use of handguns. Handguns are built and designed for personal defense.

Check with Pennsylvania law officials before you do sell them so you stay within the law.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM

990 posts, read 2,564,479 times
Quote:
There is not enough information to give an intelligent answer.

The value of a firearm is more a factor of Maker, Model, age, rarity, options (barrel length, finish etc).

Depending on the above along with other factors, firearms can be nearly worthless to being valued at many thousands of dollars.

If you do get the box opened let us know what you find, there is a chance that an accurate estimate can be given with some basic information.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM

18,255 posts, read 25,932,550 times
Banger is right. I'm not a gun collector but old vintage guns can be worth quite a bit of coin. There are price guides on gun collecting covering maker, model, etc. It's a well respected hobby IMO.

But yea, first things first, find a good locksmith!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,011,290 times
You need to be aware of the laws for transfer of firearms in the state where they are located and the state of residence where you want to sell transfer them.
ATF Online - Publications - State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms, 2008 (29th Edition) (http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/index.html - broken link)

Remember that federal firearms laws trump state.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...f-p-5300-4.pdf

As has been said, you need to find out what is in the box in order to find out what they are worth.

You can do some of your own research by seeing what guns are selling for (not priced) both locally at gunshops and online at websites such as Gunbroker.

Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com

Some gunshops will let you look at their "blue book".
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Firearms/Default.aspx

IIRC, it is illegal for one to transfer handguns in California without them going through an FFL (licensed dealer).

Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,909,172 times
Quote:
Like Double H, and others have mentioned, without knowing what brand and model the firearms are, and their condition, nobody will be able to give you accurate information on how much they're worth. The first thing you should do is get a locksmith to open the lock-box.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:02 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,011,070 times
Quote:
It is impossible to determine any value with out make and model. Hand guns come in a lot of variety from many makers.

Say the .357 is a real Colt, it could be worth a lot of money, or it could be a Ruger and worth less, but still rather a lot of money. The modles still matter.

In a away this is like saying a I have 3 cars locked in a storage bin, what are these 3 cars worth?

Next you would be breaking the law to 'just' give them to someone.

You can give them to someone in your own state maybe, depending on the laws in that state. I am in New Hampshire and not familar with Cali law, which is rather Draconian.

To give these to another person in another state if a Fedral Offence, with out going thru the legal process.

What you need to do is go to a gun store. The owner of any gun store in the USA is a FFL (Fedral Firearms License)(d) Dealer.

The dealer can send for a fee to another dealer, but only to a legal recipient by the3 laws in what ever state they live in.

Then since you have no idea whats in the box, and can't prove what ever ISN'T Loaded, and have no legal right to bring a loaded fire arm anywhere, the best suggestion I can tell you is to go see a dealer, and ask how to deal with these guns.

He can carry a box of loaded guns by contract, and terms you make.

He can sell the guns on your behalf. He can transfer to your friends FFL dealer, if your friend can legally have these guns.

The other dealer will have a fee.

PA has fair gun laws. Not great like Vermont, but better than other states.

Since you are not familar with guns, I wouldn't crack that box open to see either.

So it appears you need to find a local gun store with a dealer you can trust, and most gun shops owners are great guys.

Also your friend will have to pass either Brady, or NICS. I don't know which Pa has. Brady has a days of waiting set up before the transfer can be completed. NICS is usually a more or less right now deal, a phone call does it.

Another thing you should do once you can ,is have a ledger made to record what these guns are, by make, model, caliber, and serial number, and any reciepts for fees, service, and who the new owner is, in the event these are stolen from you, and or anyone who owns these in any future times.

Your friend may be a pretty lucky camper.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,590,003 times
Well, actually, you have a bit of a problem of ownership. If you are in Los Angeles and the guns are in PA, you are not in possession. Since you live in California, if the guns have not been properly transferred to your ownership, you are not the rightful owner, your deceased relatives are. Until the guns have passed through probate you will not be able to sell or give the guns away. Even if you are the only direct heir, you will still need to have the guns transferred to you in order to do anything with them. California state law does not allow any ownership of handguns without going through a federal firearms licensed dealer. Also, as pointed out previously, since you don't know if the guns are even loaded, you can't legally transport them anywhere. As said above, have a dealer open the box and take a look at the guns. If they are relatively worthless, the best choice might actually be to have the local police department destroy them.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,941,124 times
Default Do It Now. Take it to a locksmith!

So! Did we get that box open yet? I'm officially ravenously curious. Maybe there's a pair of fully engraved civil war dueling pistols in there, worth millions!

Quick! Let's break open that silly box!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 AM

29,699 posts, read 14,791,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Well, actually, you have a bit of a problem of ownership. If you are in Los Angeles and the guns are in PA, you are not in possession. Since you live in California, if the guns have not been properly transferred to your ownership, you are not the rightful owner, your deceased relatives are. Until the guns have passed through probate you will not be able to sell or give the guns away. Even if you are the only direct heir, you will still need to have the guns transferred to you in order to do anything with them. California state law does not allow any ownership of handguns without going through a federal firearms licensed dealer. Also, as pointed out previously, since you don't know if the guns are even loaded, you can't legally transport them anywhere. As said above, have a dealer open the box and take a look at the guns. If they are relatively worthless, the best choice might actually be to have the local police department destroy them.

I highly doubt a .357, .44 and a .45 are going to be worthless, unless they are rusted out beyond repair...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting