Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,535 times

Advertisements

I am 53 and have had my hair salon colored for years. Roots are a dark grey and I usually go for an ash blond color (I am fair skinned and somewhat prone to a ruddiness). Hair is extremely thick and wavy. Xtremely thick. Did I say really thick? ANd wavy.
I moved to gaithersburg MD in Dec 2010 and spent $190 for a color/cut/style before Xmas. I didnt like the color much, or the cut, and my dauhters agreed (saw them over Xmas). I went back to the same salon and asked them to make some changes, which they did, and charged me another $125. I still did not much care for the color, and nothing much could be done for the cut.
This was after I living in New York for 2 years and having had similiar experiences with "pay a lot, I can't get no satisfaction".
I was so mad and plain-out fed up about spending a lot of money on my hair and hating the results that I resolved to just "let it go".
Well, now my hair is driving me nuts. It is to my shoulders, over my face, and my grey roots are about 4-5" long.
Please, how does one find a really good colorist/stylist in a new area? I am willing to spend money for a quality cut & color but if I throw my money away again I may just...I don't know...pull my hair out????
I want a PROFESSIONAL who knows their craft and who can make my hair look GOOD ! ( and I will kiss the feet of this angel!)
HELP!!! ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM
npz

208 posts, read 323,654 times
Have you tried posting on a local forum? Or asking friends or neighbours for a recommendation? I went and talked to a stylist to get a feel for the salon before making an appointment the last time I changed. Maybe you could try that as well?

Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Boy, do I know what you're talking about. I have an awful time trying to find a colorist. I gave up and start doing my own color after my favorite colorist moved. Is that an option for you? Otherwise, here's what I've learned over the years:

1) When you see someone with great color, ask them who does it.

2) Go for a complimentary color consult BEFORE you make a coloring appointment. Make sure they show you a sample of the ending result. Hmmm, not sure I'm explaining this correctly, but I had a colorist show me a swatch of a blonde shade that she was going to apply to my hair. However, that shade wasn't the color I was going to end up with. I so wish I'd asked what it would like on my hair. Along those lines, ask them about their continuing education and/or hair shows that they go to.

3) Sometimes the best colorists are NOT at the most expensive salons. The best colorist I ever had worked out of a small shop. I still miss her.

Good luck!

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
I'm in the Northern Virginia area, and that forum here on City-Data has a lot of information & recommendations about hairdressers. Gaithersburg is close enough that folks should be able to help hook you in to a good hairdresser closer to where you live.

In the meantime, any time you spot a woman out and about with hair about the same texture/thickness as yours and you like her cut & color, ask her where she gets her hair done. I haven't met a woman yet who won't give me the name of her salon/stylist when I compliment her hair. And if you aren't seeing women who meet that criteria, then go to services at a large church (or the closest breakfast place nearby if going to services is not your thing) on Sunday and you should be able to spot some good hair in that crowd.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:16 AM

thanks for the replies! I did ask this question on the local forum w/o much helpful response- and, funny enough, I DID go up to a woman at the Post Office and ask the hair question. I went to the salon, used the stylist she suggested (this was the experience I posted here) and my hair ended up the same color as hers! I realized this is the color she gives everyone LOL; looked good on the Post Office person, but not on me!!!!

Last edited by marska; 04-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Boy, do I know what you're talking about. I have an awful time trying to find a colorist. I gave up and start doing my own color after my favorite colorist moved. Is that an option for you? Otherwise, here's what I've learned over the years:

1) When you see someone with great color, ask them who does it.

2) Go for a complimentary color consult BEFORE you make a coloring appointment. Make sure they show you a sample of the ending result. Hmmm, not sure I'm explaining this correctly, but I had a colorist show me a swatch of a blonde shade that she was going to apply to my hair. However, that shade wasn't the color I was going to end up with. I so wish I'd asked what it would like on my hair. Along those lines, ask them about their continuing education and/or hair shows that they go to.

3) Sometimes the best colorists are NOT at the most expensive salons. The best colorist I ever had worked out of a small shop. I still miss her.

Good luck!
I like this idea! "complimentary color consult BEFORE you make a coloring appointment. Make sure they show you a sample of the ending result." Now, why didnt I think of that?

Old 04-21-2011, 12:12 AM

461 posts, read 782,639 times
Check out Yelp in your city for reviews of hair stylists/colorists.
I do my own color, it's quite easy if you get professional products at a beauty supply store it's exactly the same as the salon's but a mere fraction of the price.

If you're not comfortable with that, always get a consultation and never feel pressured to make an appointment or get your hair done right away. You've got to be strong hair stylists are all about up selling and high pressure sales tactics to make a buck so don't be easily swayed by a charming personality or fake flattery. If they make you feel silly or act arrogant, RUN!

Why not try beauty schools? The students don't make a step without consulting a teacher. It will be redone w/o cost if you're not happy plus it's pretty cheap. Especially for color. All they have to do is slap it on and students tend to be more conscientious with less ego & attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care