Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times

Advertisements

I had bad experiences using a modern razor once. I had facial pumps. I'm wondering if that's the case with the traditional straight razor.

Which type of razor do you use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
That's what I want to know. Except not on my face lol. It's in my armpits and legs. Tmi I know.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:46 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
Razor burn is just inflammation of the hair follicle/pore, and I think it just has to do with the angle that razors cut at. It can make the remaining part of the hair very sharp and that's where ingrown hairs come from-- it might be good to find that TendSkin stuff you can buy in salons or whatever.

Apparently it's rubbing alcohol with one of the main ingredients of aspirin so it doesn't burn so bad.

Amazon.com: Tend Skin The Skin Care Solution For Unsightly Razor Burns, Ingrown Hair And Razor Burns, 8-Ounce Bottle: Health & Personal Care

Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM

330 posts, read 599,276 times
Shaving (I am guessing you are talking face/beard) is about two things.. a clean and sharp blade and just as important, a warm (very warm) shaving lotion. I use a very traditional old style razor, the kind where you screw the blade in. (Think gellete "safety" razor), I also use the brush and shaving lotion with very hot water - my best shaves are when i get the water very hot, in a cup that i have in the microwave for 1 minute, then i dip the brush in that water, mix up the shaving soap, and apply the hot mixture... then the actuall shaving part. It's as smooth as... (put your own ideas here)

Old 06-14-2011, 07:54 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Be sure to clean your razor with some rubbing alcohol after each use (or if that's not handy, pour a little Listerine over it). That helps a whole lot in keeping the next shave bump-free.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
for me it helps if i always use hot water when i shave, and then rinse with cold water

foam and gel shaving creams are pretty poor.. i like shaving lotions and shaving soap. Some people swear by shaving brushes, where you apply the cream to your face with a brush in a circular motion, but that is a hassle for me.

shaving in the direction your hair grows reduces razor burn, but won't give you a very close shave.

shaving against the direction your hair grows can irritate your skin, but you get a great shave.

shaving diagonally against the direction your hair grows is a bad idea.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
If practical, follow shaving with a very sharp razor and shaving cream with a layer of bacitracin. it has the consistancy of vaseline, but when i use it after shaving, it cuts way down on the razor burn. I guess you are talking about your face, so maybe you could shave at night and put the lotion on at bedtime?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
If you have Razor Bumps that means you may have facial hair that has a certain amount of coarseness and curl to it. If this is the case, the razor is in effect sharpening the hair and allowing it to curl into a skin pore and grow. The only remedy is not shaving too close. Maybe use a clipper style shaver.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:45 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,815,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
Razor burn is just inflammation of the hair follicle/pore, and I think it just has to do with the angle that razors cut at. It can make the remaining part of the hair very sharp and that's where ingrown hairs come from-- it might be good to find that TendSkin stuff you can buy in salons or whatever.

Apparently it's rubbing alcohol with one of the main ingredients of aspirin so it doesn't burn so bad.

Amazon.com: Tend Skin The Skin Care Solution For Unsightly Razor Burns, Ingrown Hair And Razor Burns, 8-Ounce Bottle: Health & Personal Care
Ive used it for years.
It's okay at best.{for me anyway}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care