Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM

639 posts, read 828,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Tresemme Naturals conditioner (I use the olive and avocado) is good. Karen's Body Beautiful Lucious Locks Mask is very good. For the Indian store shoppers, I like the Dabur Vatika hot oil conditioner. It smells great! These all have good slip. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a good cowash too.
Ya, Dabur Vatika Coconut Oil infused with amla, brahmi, etc is awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
Ya, Dabur Vatika Coconut Oil infused with amla, brahmi, etc is awesome!
Yes! I've used it too, good stuff!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:20 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Do you wash the scalp with conditioner, like you would with shampoo? Do you scrub on the scalp with it? What exactly is the process for cowashing? Would it be suggested or not for long, thick hair which needs a lot of moisture but is prone to greasiness on the scalp?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Do you wash the scalp with conditioner, like you would with shampoo? Do you scrub on the scalp with it? What exactly is the process for cowashing? Would it be suggested or not for long, thick hair which needs a lot of moisture but is prone to greasiness on the scalp?
Yes, you use the conditioner in place of the shampoo on the scalp. The theory is that conditioner (or at least some conditioners) contain enough surfactants to cleanse the hair and scalp. If your scalp is greasy, you may want to choose a conditioner with less oil in it. Some people who cowash use diluted apple cidar vinegar once a month or more often to clarify the scalp. The link below describes the cowashing, or no-poo method.

All About the No Shampoo Method

Old 04-16-2012, 01:24 PM

I also use powders from the Indian grocery like amla and shikaki that naturally clean you hair. You can either add to a conditioner or make a paste on its own. They are natural crushed up plants that have no SLS etc

Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
I also use powders from the Indian grocery like amla and shikaki that naturally clean you hair. You can either add to a conditioner or make a paste on its own. They are natural crushed up plants that have no SLS etc
I once very eagerly bought one of those but didn't like it, it was very gritty, I tried straining it but somehow that didn't go very well so I never tried again. Perhaps not all are the same and maybe since you have experience with them you can explain how they should really be used so the next person doesn't have a bad experience like I did.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:18 PM

haha there is no great trick as far as I know. Aritha and shikaki are most suited to shampooing, amla and others are more for treatments in pastes or added to henna,etc. The Hesh brand is usually not as gritty. Dr Bronner's makes a soap/shampoo with shikaki in it too.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,219 times
I've toyed with the idea of going CO myself for some time, as my poor hair cannot stand shampoo on even an every-other-day basis due to the high altitude and dry climate around here. Unfortunately, my scalp starts getting extremely itchy towards the seven day mark. Is this just a plateau that I need to work past? Or should I switch to a different conditioner? I'm using the Hello Hydration from Herbal Essences, if it makes a difference.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,230,590 times
I use WEN by Chaz Dean, I love it but it's pricey. It has changed my fine curly hair for the better (I'm in a dry climate). You have to get it from QVC. There is another product called Diva (or Deva) Curl which I would like to try.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:27 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,478,206 times
I started co-washing with a cleansing conditioner (As I Am from Sally's) a few weeks back. I noticed my scalp itches less and my hair feels more moisturized. I don't use co-washing exclusively, though. I alternate it with every other wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care