Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 07:26 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,310,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Everyone who is going to jump on this little bandwagon - the original thread was about OP having fake boobs and pondering why she is no longer attractive to men.
LOL nobody said that, you said that. That's not what that post was about at all. It was about having more men approach when you're heavier. It's not that men don't find skinny girls attractive.

Quote:
An African woman with straightened, blonde hair, looks fake.
I don't know what you mean by "looks fake"...everyone knows a tanned Italian or Greek woman isn't a natural blonde but no one accuses her of looking "wrong for her race". Most blondes are bottled blondes of any background.

Quote:
Which was my point...OP has had quite extensive surgery and modifcations done, is not pleased with the results, blind freddy can see that she has body dysmorphia and will head back for more.
What a nut. Since when does Botox and a boob job equate to "extensive surgery and modifications"? Does this make you feel better about your plain appearance?

would suit mine!!!!

Quote:
It is NOT about race (I'm Australian, we adore african americans here -usually)...
I'm not African American but like this comment demonstrates, you have very little contact with black people in the diaspora.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
You are in New York for pete's sake. You will get a job waitressing, black white or purple, if that's what you choose to do and you are GOOD AT IT.
Ignorance. Ignorance. Ignorance.

I have two jobs. I just dropped the third job because I wasn't making any money there. Do you know the common thread at the two jobs that I make money in are??? They aren't diverse (all girl staff, all thin, etc.). I'm the only black girl (and the only non-white girl period) at both of those places. The more diverse a workstaff is in the service industry in Manhattan, the less money they're making. This is a fact in all sports bars, lounges, nightclubs, ANY place in Manhattan...think that's coincidence?

I know you've never been here and like to talk about what you don't know about, but listen more than you speak.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I'm kinda tired of people's obsession with what black women do to their hair. Mind your own goddamn business
I can't tell you how much I agree with this sentiment I don't even know what to do.

Like another poster here pointed out, of course they didn't touch on the fact how my hair is styled is very important to whether I have a job or not. Because I'm black. Of course that's just a fact...to them, it's pulling the "race card", because they like to have blinders on when it comes to how black women are treated in Western society.

Ignorance all around.

From the first time I started hostessing at a swanky place on Park Avenue I SAW first hand how they would tell a black girl whose hair wasn't perfectly styled in long straight stresses that they were in fact NOT hiring when they were, then 10 minutes later have a white chick fill out an application.

Like I said, when I started working in the service industry in Manhattan is the first time I started wearing weaves full time.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:41 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,925,903 times

I look a lot like her (same phenotype), and I have one "admitted" white great grandparent.

I also feel pretty "invisible" in the media. And sometimes in real life, so I totally understand nyanna's complaints.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:55 AM

56 posts, read 79,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

I look a lot like her (same phenotype), and I have one "admitted" white great grandparent.

I also feel pretty "invisible" in the media. And sometimes in real life, so I totally understand nyanna's complaints.
Her forehead is huge! Her hair look completely fake. She has a beautiful smile though

Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,789,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamoi View Post
Her forehead is huge! Her hair look completely fake. She has a beautiful smile though
I like a big forehead (or as Tyra Banks calls her own, a five-head). It's much more attractive than too small a forehead, which can look a bit neanderthal.

In the middle ages, long foreheads were the style and women would often pluck their hairlines back to achieve the look.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,558,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

(le sigh)

Pessimism is so unattractive

I am just not understanding this mentality because there are LOTS of representations of brown to dark skin Blacks in the media....MANY MANY of which are VERY positive.

Just a few random examples....and I could seriously go on and on and on....

Oprah (no explanation needed)

Mellody Hobson (President of Ariel Investments and a financial correspondent for ABC

Naomi Campbell (model and then some)

Susan Taylor (Essence Magazine)

June Ambrose (celebrity stylish)

Kelly Rowland (singer Destiny's Child)

Gabrielle Union

B. Smith (model, restauranteur, home decor business mogul)

I could go on and on and on......

Old 09-07-2012, 10:36 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,917,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I think Nyanna has spent too much time in the POC forum,and I really mean that.
For those of you that don't venture into that part,let's just say you are lucky.

They had a whole thread about black women being unattractive.
I'm sorry,they had more than one. They trash blacks on a daily basis.
No,as a matter of fact,an hourly basis. That place could be a REAL killer of black women's self esteem.

All the people listed above were trashed on their looks.
Esp. Michelle Obama. I'm not sure you should have included her pic.

Then black people or anyone besides fat, old, rich republican men should not enter that part of the site. I had a similar issue with the illegal immigration side of this forum. Sometimes it actually ruined my day to read the bigoted things they say about Mexicans and Latins in general. So I just don't go there. It's just the same 5 people posting there and they all rep each other. They are also mostly from Texas and SW areas that aren't exactly known for education.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,847,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Then black people or anyone besides fat, old, rich republican men should not enter that part of the site. I had a similar issue with the illegal immigration side of this forum. Sometimes it actually ruined my day to read the bigoted things they say about Mexicans and Latins in general. So I just don't go there. It's just the same 5 people posting there and they all rep each other. They are also mostly from Texas and SW areas that aren't exactly known for education.
This is very true.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,687,701 times
Quote:
I notice OP has disappeared and certain factions are turning her hair murdering into a race issue.

It's not.

Close it down.
Right, being a white woman not only gives you the.right to stick your nose into the hair business of black women, it also makes you the final arbiter of when said discussion should be closed. No wonder white men keep dreaming of going to Eastern Europe to find a woman without the western entitlement attitude. I'm surprised they don't just go gay to escape this "I know best and everyone should shut up and listen to me" attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care