Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
only in america are her children black. that is due to the one drop rule. everyone else considers them mixed race.

they are not black women. and never will be.

and I am so tired of people empathizing with the tragic mulatto. what about the tragic black woman and how we get treated waaay worse than mixed race people?
I am tired of you empathizing with yourself. How can you know who has it worse? And how can you know what the black man wants? Just because the black man or any man doesn't want you...because of your behavior...means nothing.

Some black men wont take a second look at people outside of their race, some white men are the same.

Poor pitiful me. I am a white woman and soon I will go have my white hair cut. The only problem is that it's raining out and I think it will get messed up when I walk out of the salon.

Then no white man will want me.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:

My gosh, you are paranoid. It's really sad.

Quote:
If you adhere to the one drop rule then yeah they are "black". Anybody is Black
I don't adhere to anyone's arbitrary "rules" regarding race - yours included.

Quote:
biracials are viewed much more favorably in society by blacks and whites. they are given much more privileges than full blacks. for some reason they don't realize this but its true
It all depends on the different scenarios. It's true in some cases, and untrue in others.

That being said, people who are perceived as "better looking than average" (in any society) are often treated more favorably. Our society currently seems, IN GENERAL, to appreciate the type of beauty that biracial and multiracial people embody. This is a recent phenomenon. Just 50 years ago, being biracial was considered by many to be something to be ashamed of. Fifty years from now, who knows?

Quote:
they are replacing me. black men tend to find lighter and biracial women more attractive. its the reason why your black husband procreated with you because he didn't want children with darkskin and very coarse textured hair.
Errrrr, sorry, but you really have no idea why he married me. You don't know either of us.

Quote:
Why Ethiopia? Because of the soft curly hair they tend to have. Why not a darkskin coily haired black child from Nigeria?
This is truly pathetic.

The reason why they are interested in adopting from Ethiopia is because the adoption agency that my family has used has a good system set up for adopting from Ethiopia. Nigerian adoption processes are a NIGHTMARE.

That is the ONLY reason. It has nothing to do with the texture of the childrens' hair! Good grief!

I can't wait to share this question with my kids. They will die laughing at the insanity of it.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I'm not speaking from experience, but I have heard it said that biracial children do find it harder in society.

They are "not black enough" for some (like nyanna) black people.

They are also "not white enough" for some whites.

They do not know where they "fit in", so to speak. And to many people, a mixed black/whatever person will always be seen as black. Halle Berry even said that her (white) mother told her that the world would view her as a Black woman, despite her White heritage. She is held up as the standard of beauty, because IMO, she looks "just ethnic enough".

Everyone knows that nyanna is a few fries short of a Happy Meal, but in this case she is correct. To the mother who has bi-racial children, you may not see your children as black (not sure, skimmed your posts). But, the world will. I hope they are prepared for that.
People see my children differently depending on the situation - and the person making the assumptions.

I have stated that most people, including most African American people, think of my kids as "black." That's OK with me, and with them. It really makes very little impact on the quality of my life or theirs. But they will also be the first to tell you that they consider themselves to be "brown" and "American." Period.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I was the one who said mixed raced people have it tough and Nyanna said that KAs children are not black. So, she is not correct.

I think KA sees her kids for what they are, her kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
People see my children differently depending on the situation - and the person making the assumptions.

I have stated that most people, including most African American people, think of my kids as "black." That's OK with me, and with them. It really makes very little impact on the quality of my life or theirs. But they will also be the first to tell you that they consider themselves to be "brown" and "American." Period.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I am tired of you empathizing with yourself. How can you know who has it worse? And how can you know what the black man wants? Just because the black man or any man doesn't want you...because of your behavior...means nothing.

Some black men wont take a second look at people outside of their race, some white men are the same.

Poor pitiful me. I am a white woman and soon I will go have my white hair cut. The only problem is that it's raining out and I think it will get messed up when I walk out of the salon.

Then no white man will want me.
This is hilarious!

A black man wanted me - and then a white man wanted me - and my kids. And I didn't fall for that whole, "once with a black, never go back" myth either! Busting all kinds of myths and misconceptions this morning!

My kids have always dated whoever they wanted to date - period. They date people who are attractive to them, and those people have been a veritable rainbow of colors and cultures. It's great - I never know who they are going to bring home next.

Throw in a few family international adoptions, and wow, we've got a great mix! And I can assure you that not one person has made a decision about who to date or marry based on the texture of their HAIR!

Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
That being said, people who are perceived as "better looking than average" (in any society) are often treated more favorably. Our society currently seems, IN GENERAL, to appreciate the type of beauty that biracial and multiracial people embody. This is a recent phenomenon. Just 50 years ago, being biracial was considered by many to be something to be ashamed of. Fifty years from now, who knows?
so in other words, full black people have a look that is generally considered unattractive, therefore making it okay to discriminate against us? Now your true colors are coming out. I guess I have to deal with the fact that my full black self is just too dark and hair is too nappy for mainstream society. if you full black then you just aint sh1t to most people.

Quote:
Errrrr, sorry, but you really have no idea why he married me. You don't know either of us.
he married and reproduced with you because as you said "Our society currently seems, IN GENERAL, to appreciate the type of beauty that biracial and multiracial people embody."

just face it. he wanted mixed children because they are viewed as being more attractive and he wanted them to have an easier life.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
so in other words, full black people have a look that is generally considered unattractive, therefore making it okay to discriminate against us? Now your true colors are coming out. I guess I have to deal with the fact that my full black self is just too dark and hair is too nappy for mainstream society. if you full black then you just aint sh1t to most people.

No, not "in other words." There's no need to embellish what I say. I said this:

Quote:
Our society currently seems, IN GENERAL, to appreciate the type of beauty that biracial and multiracial people embody. This is a recent phenomenon.

YOU are the one saying that biracial people are considered "more beautiful" and are favored in our society. I have made it very clear that I do not consider any one particular race more beautiful than another. All I said is that currently our society (by "our" I mean American 21st century society) seems to really appreciate the unique beauty of biracial/multiracial people. With that in mind, I guess using your "logic" (and I'm being generous with that word), as a plain ol' white lady, I'm not considered particularly attractive either.

May I suggest that if you're having problems being respected and appreciated by others, it probably has more to do with your attitude than with your looks.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No, not "in other words." There's no need to embellish what I say. I said this:
That is what you said, and now you are trying to backtrack to make it seem as if you were saying something different

Quote:
YOU are the one saying that biracial people are considered "more beautiful" and are favored in our society. I have made it very clear that I do not consider any one particular race more beautiful than another. All I said is that currently our society (by "our" I mean American 21st century society) seems to really appreciate the unique beauty of biracial/multiracial people.
you wont ever say that fully black children are beautiful either. but you will continue to talk about the unique beauty of mixed/biracial children, as if they are better than regular full black people

Quote:
With that in mind, I guess using your "logic" (and I'm being generous with that word), as a plain ol' white lady, I'm not considered particularly attractive either.
society doesn't say that white isn't attractive

Quote:
May I suggest that if you're having problems being respected and appreciated by others, it probably has more to do with your attitude than with your looks.
no its society who has the problem with me

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
That is what you said, and now you are trying to backtrack to make it seem as if you were saying something different

you wont ever say that fully black children are beautiful either. but you will continue to talk about the unique beauty of mixed/biracial children, as if they are better than regular full black people

society doesn't say that white isn't attractive

no its society who has the problem with me
Yes. Society does have a problem with you.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:07 AM

By the way, I have to point out the humor of something.

The title of the thread is "Your hair color and texture are wrong for your race."

I can't tell you how many times I heard THAT line growing up! As I've stated, my hair is unusually thick, coarse, and kinky for a white person. In fact, I bore the brunt of many stupid jokes and taunts growing up. Several times, I had "friends" give me "Afro Sheen" as a gag gift for my birthday. My nickname in high school was "Kinky" - and it had nothing to do with my behavior and everything to do with my hair texture. I can't tell you how many times someone said to me (or worse yet, my mom!) "Did someone sneak somebody errrrr....dark... into your family tree?" or "Did someone sneak in behind the woodshed?" (Whatever that means...)

Even many of the African American students I attended school with assumed I had some "black blood" in me. Actually - I do not - at least not close in with my family tree. What I do have is some very dark skinned, thick, curly haired immigrants from Switzerland, who were actually Jewish, about four generations back. This is where I got my hair and dark eyes and olive skin tone.

So - apparently my hair texture is "wrong" for my race as well. As if I care. Actually, now that I've learned how to manage my natural hair, I absolutely love it. But I grew up when the style was to have long, straight hair parted down the middle if you were a little white girl. I looked more like Rosanne Rosanna Danna!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care