Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 AM

618 posts, read 1,610,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
??? Your first posting indicated you were wondering if you could use it on your hair....

Yes, I was wondering if I could use clorox bleach on my hair, I didn't say that I was planning on using it. I didn't know the difference between the two (which was what I was asking about) but now I do thanks to the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:13 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
Yes, I was wondering if I could use clorox bleach on my hair, I didn't say that I was planning on using it. I didn't know the difference between the two (which was what I was asking about) but now I do thanks to the responses.
I'm with Katie on this one. At any rate, glad we could help and clean this one up (pun intended)

Old 10-29-2007, 08:14 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,797 times
All the regular "blonde" hair dye products over the counter nowadays DO contain the beauticians form of "hair bleach". You can smell it, the amonia, the peroxide, so whatever color you want to go for, shoot for with the box. You don't have to "bleach it" THEN color it nowadays, like you used to. That's like primer on wall before you paint it, naw, it's just hair now

Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM

72,417 posts, read 18,203,422 times
Please go to a beautician,the bleach would cause harm to you.You may lose your hair too

Old 10-29-2007, 09:03 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
I quit using bleach on my hair a few years ago, I use Tide and fabric softener now..

Old 10-29-2007, 12:47 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,203,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I quit using bleach on my hair a few years ago, I use Tide and fabric softener now..
Ha!Ha!HA!

Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
Default What?!@#@#%

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
I am considering dying my hair lighter, so I would need to bleach it first? Anywho, I am wondering can I just use the bleach that I currently use for washing white clothing or do I need bleach made specifically for hair?
Noooooo you do not want to even go there - two totally different animals. Hair = peroxide, clothes = bleach

Old 10-31-2007, 06:12 PM

187 posts, read 614,051 times
No, NO, NO! I am a hairstylist, You will burn your hair and your scalp. Go to a professional so you dont get orange hair either. Unless you want orange or gold! I know someone who did this and the hair melted to the scalp like cotton. Bad Idea! You can get quality hair color at a reasonable price just ask around.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
If you get the stuff off the shelf in the box usually the side of the box will show you a 'before and after' picture of how much it will lighten your hair, depending on how dark it is to start off with.
The boxes off the shelf have limiting lightening power.

I have patches of grey hair.
Neither treatments by hairstylists nor the stuff in the box will cover my grey properly. After about a month of shampooings I end up with dark roots, with the remainder of my hair a faded (fades into a ghastly reddish tone) and then the dye will have faded off my greys, so they will then be back to almost their normal grey color.

Colorists usually use a stronger hydrogen peroxide, and can lighten your hair more than the stuff you buy in the box.
A lot of people have resistant grey which cannot maintain a dye.
e
So, I have been getting it frosted, which is old fashioned(very labor intensive), but it bleaches out strands of my own hair to approximate the grey. It does not look so bad growing in and does not have to be touched up as often as dyed hair.

I think, to get a color much lighter than yours, unless your natural hair is very light, you still have to pre-bleach and then add the color.

The salons, I think, get peroxide (20 or 20 or 40 percent, depending on how much lighter you need it) and mix that with the 'activator' which is the powdered amonia. This makes a thick, creamy texture that you can control better - it does not run in your eyes. I think they just add enough to make it just a bit more fluid than cake frosting. There are also 'boosters' that can be added. I am not sure what that is, but it intensifies the reaction.
I ordered a frosting cap on the net and got a crochet hook and did the job myself once, not because I did not want to pay the local salon, but because every time I made an appointment at the place they had a backlog of customers waiting.

If you are really intent on doing it yourself, you can look in the phone book for your nearest beauty supply shop, and call and ask if they handle peroxide and activators and maybe the booster. If they do, I think the packaging gives instructions.

Maybe you can order it all online.

I had long hair once, and used fabric softener on my hair instead of creme rinse - no weird effects. Years back people used sugar and water to add body to the hair. I think that might encourage bacteria, but I have used small amounts of cheap mouthwash mixed with water in a spray bottle. It is very effective and envigorating to the scalp. It dulls the hair though.

I have heard of conditioning the hair with mayonnaise and putting a plastic cap over it overnight and washing out the next day.

So there are relatively harmless and inexpensive substitutes.

Clorox would scare me, though.
The idea of one slip and you're blind for life would really deter me from trying that. It is a too large a payment for for the sake of looking good.

If anyone has any grey hair remedies, I would be interested in knowing.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM

9 posts, read 102,390 times
Please be careful with doing it yourself. If your hair is dark brown you can't get blonde from a box. It will lift up to 4 shades lighter clue is up to. So 4 shades will be that pretty orange-yellow color we all want. I will see a hair stylist to do this. I would highlight your hair to get a get blonde color

Amy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care