Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria's Salon View Post
Please be careful with doing it yourself. If your hair is dark brown you can't get blonde from a box. It will lift up to 4 shades lighter clue is up to. So 4 shades will be that pretty orange-yellow color we all want. I will see a hair stylist to do this. I would highlight your hair to get a get blonde color

Amy
Amy, I don't know any way to lighten my hair other than the bleach with activators and boosters and a frosting cap.

Everything else I have tried turns into that lovely reddish color, sort of a rusty mud. I have medium brown hair, but it is fine and when I frost it, it becomes much more manageable.

I read an article on how the chemicals that hairdressers are regularly exposed to are bad for the lungs, but the peculiar thing is that it is much worse for men. They don't know why.

I have never known how to pick a good salon. The best advice I had was to pick someone with hair my texture and type and ask them where they go, or to check out the operators in salons to find one with my sort of hair.

I have no problem in frosting it myself, but I get tired of cutting it myself sometimes.

One salon could have several operators and only one might really be good with fine hair like mine. I hate to play musical chairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 05:47 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Oh, PLEASE don't do it yourself. It will wind up looking like hell.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, PLEASE don't do it yourself. It will wind up looking like hell.
Actually, I started inquiring into how to cut and color my own hair after some beauty 'experts' botched it up. Why should I pay people for bad work?

A kindly barber gave me some tips for a basic hair cut.

No. It does not look 'like hell'. I have been frosting my hair for a very long time, thank you. It is just a matter of mixing chemicals correctly and leaving it on for the correct length of time. I keep my hair fairly short so there are no split ends.

I also have been cutting my hair since as long as I can remember, and although I have not done the precision cuts or anything that takes experience, for a simple cut that is even and shaped or layered, my hair looks just great.

After reading this thread, I googled 'how to cut hair' and got some really good ideas. There are evern step by step visual guides by some great beauticians on how to create certain styles. I am now inspired and will try them myself. Oh, whenever I move I always make sure that I have a bathroom mirror that is moveable on the side wall so I can see all around my head. This is such fun.

People comment that my hair never looks straggly, as though I need a trim, because I can keep after it myself.

I never have to make the time to slog out and keep appointments for these things. I don't have to put up with the awful smells and some of the chatter that goes on in some of these businesses. I don't have to sit and pray that things come out correctly, and early on, when things screwed up, I had no one to blame but myself, and I learned from my mistakes. The really good thing is, I 'know' my own head, so for a basic cut I can do this better than most cosmotologists. I know where to cut for the waves and the fullness I need. I know where to thin it out and how much.

I have always thought that there was no great mystery in maintaining yourself, and no reason to have to pay people for a basic, balanced look.

I have to laugh at some beauticians, and how they pretend that they hold some vast secret to looking good. Well, everyone has to earn a living, I guess.

Last edited by goldengrain; 03-29-2008 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-29-2008, 01:48 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,132 times
When we were kids, we would mix hydrogen peroxide with lemon juice, comb it through our hair, and sit in the sun. It was sticky, but washed out and did not really harm our hair; we just used lots of conditioner. It lightened it up without looking all Marilyn Monroe blonde.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM

187 posts, read 613,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
When we were kids, we would mix hydrogen peroxide with lemon juice, comb it through our hair, and sit in the sun. It was sticky, but washed out and did not really harm our hair; we just used lots of conditioner. It lightened it up without looking all Marilyn Monroe blonde.
OHHHH PPLLEEAASSEE dont do this either!!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Sure, this can work, although not a lot. Whatever chemical reaction there is will stop once the solution dries out. If you do this and your hair is already light, you can get some nice highlights. If your hair is too dark and you do this a lot, you could start getting that reddish brassy look. But when you are young, practically everything looks good on you.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:04 PM

187 posts, read 613,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Sure, this can work, although not a lot. Whatever chemical reaction there is will stop once the solution dries out. If you do this and your hair is already light, you can get some nice highlights. If your hair is too dark and you do this a lot, you could start getting that reddish brassy look. But when you are young, practically everything looks good on you.
When your young your hair is usually finer, lighter and your outside all the time so of course its lighter, if your darker you will get uneven tones, and brassy hair!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
When your young your hair is usually finer, lighter and your outside all the time so of course its lighter, if your darker you will get uneven tones, and brassy hair!
Thank you for confirming my post.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:36 AM

38 posts, read 138,000 times
Hair bleach is now considered a misleading and unused word. Professional hair designers prefer to use decolorisor, lightener, lighteneing powder, ect. This is beacuse hir bleach and the kind you scrub you toilets with can not be more different. The only similarity is the similar lightening agent, but decolorizer is far more gental for your hair and is activated by a low level ammount of amonia.

Hope it helps
-Nick Hood

Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hood View Post
Hair bleach is now considered a misleading and unused word. Professional hair designers prefer to use decolorisor, lightener, lighteneing powder, ect. This is beacuse hir bleach and the kind you scrub you toilets with can not be more different. The only similarity is the similar lightening agent, but decolorizer is far more gental for your hair and is activated by a low level ammount of amonia.

Hope it helps
-Nick Hood
Oh, so the peroxide and amonia are changed to peroxide and hair lightening powder. I wonder why they did not change the name of 'peroxide' since the stuff for wounds in the drug store is not the same as the stuff we put on heads ?

I cut my hair according to that demo.
My hair was not long enough, starting out, and
I have to get notching shears, darn.

I once blew dryed my hair, holding it upside down all the while, for curiosity.
My husband saw me and jumped up from the couch and ran out the door.
It was very effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care