Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 AM

4,222 posts, read 4,746,812 times

Advertisements

I have naturally black hair but it started greying a few years ago so I started dyeing my whole head black.

Then I decided I was sick of always having black hair so went to get it dyed professionally (I wanted a reddish brown) and it wouldn't lift because of the black dye.

So I waited a year to grow out my hair and last December, got it colored. It came out a nice reddish brown. My ends were still black but it's because from what every colorist has explained, the black dye will never lift without them having to damage my hair with too much processing.

So I had 2 colors in my hair with the goal of cutting the black ends off progressively over time, and continue to color the roots reddish brown as it grows out, until eventually I have a fully colored head of hair.

Fast forward to now, May, my hair has grown out a LOT, and I cannot find the colorist that dyed it for me in December She left her salon. So I went to plan B, a guy who works in an upscale salon here in Chicago and has gotten rave reviews, been featured in magazines, etc. And his specialty is reds. So I go in 2 days ago and tell him I want to match my roots to my current reddish brownish color. He said he couldn't get it that light, but would give me a pretty similar nice spring color that blended in well with it. Well, I ended up with dark dark purple hair yall. It looks black almost. I'm so upset because I'm scared I won't be able to lift this new darker color, which now covers my entire head.

Does anyone know how soon I'll have to wait to re-color? I will definitely be going to someone else. It's also a permanent dye...so that definitely means I'll have to bleach it, right..??

I'm just upset that the lighter color I had before is all gone I waited so long to grow out my hair enough to get it colored. And how a dark purple could be an acceptable color, or anywhere near a spring/summer color compared to the reddish brown look I had is beyond me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
You need to go back to that salon and request a color correction. You SHOULD NOT be charged for this. The colorist made a mistake.

Whatever you do, don't try to deal with this on your own. Who knows what you'll end up with, plus then the salon WILL charge you because now you've added your own mistakes to the hair.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:37 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Did he show you color samples before he colored? If so, did the color swatch look similar to how your hair turned out?

See if you can contact the salon you were at to see if they have any records of what brands/colors they used.

And I agree with JerZ ^ he absolutely needs to fix it without charge. Whenever I've gone too dark (and even black), I always just had minimal highlights put in to lighten it up; however you will end up damaging your hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care