Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

Hi all
Anyone had both done? If so which do you prefer?
I've been getting Japanese straightening for a few years now, it works for me, keeps my hair straight without having to use a blow dryer or flat iron, I can virtually wash & go...love it

Now my salon doesn't offer it anymore and went to the Keratin..does the keratin keep your hair straight without styling aids?

How long does it last, salon is telling me 6-8 weeks....well Japanese would take me dam close to a year and they are charging for the keratin what they charged for Japanese that I would have to get done more frequently.

I have shoulder length thick curly hair that frizzes in heat/humidity...

Last edited by njkate; 05-22-2013 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
My hair is down to the middle of my back, thick, and frustratingly about 3 different textures of varying frizz and wave.

I've had the Japanese straightening done, but never a Keratin treatment (considering it, though).

From what I've been told, the Japanese straightening is like a chemical perm (but instead of curls, you get straightened hair).

The Brazilian/keratin treatment is not so much a chemical permanent, but a protein treatment that gets sealed in. It wears off eventually...unlike the Japanese straightening which only "wears off" in that your hair grows out and you start seeing your natural texture at the roots.

I kind of didn't like how the Japanese straightening made my hair sooooooo pin straight and flat. Maybe I'll like the Brazilian/keratin better. Currently, I burn my ears off every morning with the flat iron.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
My hair is down to the middle of my back, thick, and frustratingly about 3 different textures of varying frizz and wave.

I've had the Japanese straightening done, but never a Keratin treatment (considering it, though).

From what I've been told, the Japanese straightening is like a chemical perm (but instead of curls, you get straightened hair).

The Brazilian/keratin treatment is not so much a chemical permanent, but a protein treatment that gets sealed in. It wears off eventually...unlike the Japanese straightening which only "wears off" in that your hair grows out and you start seeing your natural texture at the roots.

I kind of didn't like how the Japanese straightening made my hair sooooooo pin straight and flat. Maybe I'll like the Brazilian/keratin better. Currently, I burn my ears off every morning with the flat iron.
I'll let you know how it works out, getting the keratin tomorrow. Thursday I go to coastal SC & Savanah GA for an extended weekend and I'll be able to test against hot humid air...

Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I'll let you know how it works out, getting the keratin tomorrow. Thursday I go to coastal SC & Savanah GA for an extended weekend and I'll be able to test against hot humid air...
Hope the keratin worked out for you, njkate.
And hope you had fun in SC and Savannah.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM

8 posts, read 10,534 times
Keratin treatment and Japanese straightening are completely two different things. Keratin is temporary and doesn't work on all hair types. And Japanese is permanent. You can read information more here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care