Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 10:47 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times

Advertisements

The shampoo and conditioner I use is sulfate free, but lately my hair still looked like it had buildup, even though I don't use any other products (no hair spray, gel, leave-ins, nothing).. I imagine it's partly the hard water in our town. My scalp was also kind of itchy and my hair looked dull and was tangling a lot.

Anyway I just wanted to share what worked for me. Also, my hair is long, slightly wavy, and color treated with some damage from years of bleaching (I've stopped the bleaching as of 2 months ago but I still color it, dark, with a box color every six to eight weeks).

I googled "natural hair clarifying" and found recommendations for vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice.

I am out of vinegar (hate the smell anyway) but I had baking soda and lemon juice. So, I mixed the baking soda with my regular shampoo, about half and half. Did it right in my palm, and made a paste. Worked it in and all over, including the scalp. Left it there for a few minutes.

I rinsed it really well then I applied straight lemon juice (from a plastic bottle, it was not fresh from actual lemons) all over my hair and squeezed it through. Rinsed thoroughly.

My hair was "squeaky" after the lemon juice.

Then I conditioned it with my usual stuff but I also added about 2 tablespoons of unrefined organic coconut oil into my palm and mixed it with my conditioner. I was kind of scared because my hair is fine and can look oily very easily.

I'm happy to report that this procedure seemed to restore shine and manageability. No more dullness and the coconut oil did NOT make it look oily but it was very soft and smelled great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:55 PM

313 posts, read 402,052 times
Thank you so much for sharing this. I have been using baking soda off and on as a clarifier, and also vinegar as a final rinse. But I like your procedure much better. I also like how you mixed coconut oil w/ the conditioner. Can't wait to try this tomorrow!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:45 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcatnip View Post
Thank you so much for sharing this. I have been using baking soda off and on as a clarifier, and also vinegar as a final rinse. But I like your procedure much better. I also like how you mixed coconut oil w/ the conditioner. Can't wait to try this tomorrow!
Hope it works as well for you!

Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
I've done something similar every few shampoos by simply adding some baking soda to the shampoo. It works great.

I used to use a long-gone product called Goop-Out. When that was discontinued, I had to improvise!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:49 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,695,137 times
Another great way to cleanse your hair from build up is to use dish soap !!
Dawn works really good. Actually any dish soap, they all work great !!

It's simple just once a week or every two weeks, depending on how much product you are using on your hair during the week and there's no mixing, no worrying if you have lemon or vinegar on hand as everybody has dish soap !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care