Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,647 times

Advertisements

My first shaver was a Remington my parents got me as one of my high school graduation gifts (1965). In the mid-80s, I used the Remington Microscreen XLR series and a couple of Brauns, both well made and high quality compared to today. In the last two months, tired of battery-operated rechargeables that are dying, and refusing to pay $40 to have new batteries installed in them, I bought (on Amazon) 4 plug in only shavers----two Braun 130S that were less than $20 each but cut decently and have a two year warranty. But the bigger find was two brand new, factory sealed Remington Microscreen 2 plug in only shavers. They are like the DA-307 rechargeables but have none of the rechargeables weaknesses. These shave super close, no power loss, quiet, no vibration, and I'd have to say they shave as close as my original Remingtons. Part of the reason I think is after 50 years of shaving, I've learned the techniques, proper skin stretching, and angles to maximize almost any shaver...even the inexpensive Braun gets very close, though it takes me 2 minutes more than the Remingtons, which take me about 4-5 minutes. I also like the plain, straight cord on these new Remingtons as they don't pull against you like modern ones do. Ten years ago, my wife bought me a plug in only Remington MS2 100...it has never been used, and parts are readily available. All in all, I find both my new Remington Microscreens shavers cut the best. I encourage people who want the old-fashioned Remington cut, with no batteries, charging, etc. to consider buying the few remaining unopened cardboard boxes (not plastic cases) of Remington Microscreens. They aren't cheap, though, costing me double their original $30 MSRP. Still, at my age, I'll have them most likely the rest of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:20 AM

466 posts, read 581,433 times
Guys, my husband's birthday is in July. Anyone tried the Karmin T7 Titanium Mens Shaver? What caught my eye was the self-sharpening titanium coated blades. All help and suggestions gratefully received.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,143 times
I have purchased a Remington XLR-800 from a Goodwill store. It appears to only work when plugged-in, even though the cord is removable. are the XLR-800's from the early 80's cordless, or rechargeable? If so, can I replace the battery?

Old 03-30-2016, 08:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownauctionsltd View Post
I have purchased a Remington XLR-800 from a Goodwill store. It appears to only work when plugged-in, even though the cord is removable. are the XLR-800's from the early 80's cordless, or rechargeable? If so, can I replace the battery?

I'm a little late answering your question, but the XLR 800 series razors were A/C power only, no battery!

The XLR 900 series had battery and charging circuit built into them, and the XLR 3000 series had the internal rechargeable battery, but used an upright charging stand.

Since my last post here on 5/14, my XLR 930 internal charging circuit board died, and couldn't be replaced!
One of my XLR 810 razors motor died. I was lucky enough to find and replace it with a XLR 1010 in great shape, plus my best find on eBay was a nos XLR 3000 to replace the 930!

What's really drying up are the oem SP-42 cutter/blade sets in the plastic packages! I tried the aftermarket replacements, but there is no comparison to the originals! I have 3 nos sets left, and after their gone, I will probably start using multi-blades(mach3) and shaving cream!

I've tried several modern Remington rechargeable razors, and they were promptly return for a refund!

I guess all good things come to an end!

Old 06-22-2017, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
I recently emailed Remington about bringing back the 3000 or Classic as some were marked.
They said they forwarded my request to marketing and that I wasn't the only one making this suggestion. I've tried a few other brands and always go back to my old XLR. I've picked up a few on eBay and recently a NOS example (all black with ear hair trimmer included). Also got a mess of NOS foils and cutters. Sorry if I outbid you or was quicker

I got my first XLR from my father in the early 90s. He used them, as well. So using them, I suppose, is sentimental. Though, oddly I find the more ergonomic modern shavers to be more awkward in hand.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownauctionsltd View Post
You should feel fortunate to have the plug-in. They are considered more valuable than the battery ones. Most new stock battery models have a dead battery. The plug-ins will last almost indefinitely. Plug ins are not rechargeable. I have 6 rechargeables that I am phasing out and trying to get only cord models. I know on eBay, new Remington XLR 810s would be over $150...used ones sell for $10-30. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,536 times
You sure can replace the batteries.
It’s not too hard actually. Or send in to
Shaveroutlet.com or other shop.
To open, remove hair pocket, cutter, spring. Pry spring clips on end. Pull carefully on back panel and get small screw driver under bottom metal clip. I’ve made new spring clips from music wire if you lose them.

Most xlrs have two large batteries soldered in. Desolder them - verify polarity - and resolder in new batteries with correct polarity. Check wires to make sure they’re connected well still. Clean out all the hair. May need to add new double sided tape which is what is inside holding stuff in place.

Some newer xlrs have batteries that are connected with push on connectors so no need to solder. Those take a different battery pack. Shaveroutlet has both (not affiliated).

Honestly, it’s not much more to have them replace the batteries for you.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,442 times
I own 7 Remington XLR’s dating from 1977 to late 1980s models (XLR 800, XLR 810 - units sold in Canada were called GLX-800 instead of XLR). IMO XLRs are still the best shavers around. I do wish Remington sold the original cutters (SP-42) because the aftermarket ones are not as good. I clean my original cutters every 3 months and that helps to keep working fine!

Old 08-31-2019, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,532 times
Hi Steve,

I'm down to just 2 XLRs, and one set of nos SP-42 on the card. I just wanted to tell you that I clean my razor after every use with the little bristle brush that came with it. I think it has prolonged them. Don't let the cutter and screen get caked up with skin grease and shavings. I still have the XLR 3000 rechargeable, but the batteries won't take a charge anymore. I'm going to try to replace them. I'm hoping to get another couple of years out of them. I'm spoiled, and don't think anything made today can replace them!

Old 09-04-2019, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAA45 View Post
Hi Steve,

I'm down to just 2 XLRs, and one set of nos SP-42 on the card. I just wanted to tell you that I clean my razor after every use with the little bristle brush that came with it. I think it has prolonged them. Don't let the cutter and screen get caked up with skin grease and shavings. I still have the XLR 3000 rechargeable, but the batteries won't take a charge anymore. I'm going to try to replace them. I'm hoping to get another couple of years out of them. I'm spoiled, and don't think anything made today can replace them!

Let us know how the battery change goes on your XLR 3000! I soak my cutters into “Eltron” cleaner every couple of months, and that keeps them very clean! I replace the foil/screen every year or so - aftermarket ones are still available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care