Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,390,075 times

Advertisements

I posted about my hair before, with the chemo drug I have to take changing the texture and making it curly. Only the back is curly and it is getting really curly!

The front is still almost all straight with a little wave. I have no idea what to do with it! It is actually really pretty but of course, it doesn't match the front. The underneath does get a few knots that I have to try and get out.

I have to brush the front because when I get up it looks...well like it needs to be brushed. Then I brush the back and it does not look good.

I wash and condition it at night and run a wide tooth comb through it and let it air dry. Normally I brush it in the am. I feel like brushing it makes the back look funny so now I am using the wide tooth comb and it is not as bad.

What do I do with this curly hair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,614,478 times
How long is it? If the back is still fairly short and growing out, you may lose some of the curl from the weight of the hair as it gets longer.

otherwise, you can straighten out the hair in the back by drying on big rollers or using a round brush and blow drying, or you can perm the front of the hair to get it curlier to match the back, or pin-curl it when wet if you don't want to perm.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM

It is probably 3-4 inches below my shoulders. I just got an inch or more cut off. It just seems to get curlier as time passes, but the curliness does not move to the sides and front.

I don't think I could get a perm to match the back, and with the chemo I have to take, I just really don't like to put chemicals in it.

The chemo is something that I take on a smaller dose every week x several years. I will have to continue to take it for my RA.

What I really would like info on is how to control the curliness. It gets knots in it and if I brush it it gets frizzy and huge.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,614,478 times
Then use a wet hair comb, as you're doing, and either set it on rollers to dry, blow it dry using a large round brush, or if you want something less time consuming on a day-to-day basis, get a keratin straightening treatment.

You can twirl it around your finger after you've combed it out wet and then leave it alone to let it completely dry, then brush each individual twist out for a softer look, but never brush it when it's damp at all or a high humidity day, b/c that will bring up the frizz big time.

As for the front of the hair being straighter, pull it back for a half-up style and that will disguise the fact that there's such a big difference in texture.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Then use a wet hair comb, as you're doing, and either set it on rollers to dry, blow it dry using a large round brush, or if you want something less time consuming on a day-to-day basis, get a keratin straightening treatment.

You can twirl it around your finger after you've combed it out wet and then leave it alone to let it completely dry, then brush each individual twist out for a softer look, but never brush it when it's damp at all or a high humidity day, b/c that will bring up the frizz big time.

As for the front of the hair being straighter, pull it back for a half-up style and that will disguise the fact that there's such a big difference in texture.
Thanks. That's what I've been doing with the front... I just have had super straight hair all of my life and had no idea how to take care of all these curls!

Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:10 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,557,172 times
My hair sounds similar to the OP (although longer) and I have spent several years battling it. I am happy to report I have finally figured out the perfect solution. I had several criteria I was trying to achieve:

A. smooth hair with volume

B. a process that doesn't kill my arms and upper back (like doing a full blow dry or using a curling iron on my entire head),

C. a process that doesn't require too much heat, as it dries my hair out even more over time.

Here is what I do now:

After I towel-dry and put smoothing cream in, I take a blow dryer, flip my head upside down, and on a low setting, blow dry my hair, lifting at the roots (to help increase volume).

After it is apprx. half-way dry, I take velcro rollers, in medium and large size, and set my hair in those. These end up giving hair volume and smooth, soft waves. The bigger the roller, the less curl.

My hair is quite thick, so if I want my hair to air dry while in the rollers, I would need to leave these rollers in for 5-6 hours. Since I don't really want to do that, I bought this soft bonnet dryer attachment.

You need a hair dryer that has a low-heat setting in order to use one of these otherwise you will burn your head up and possibly start a fire lol.

So you hook it to your hair dryer, and soft, gentle heat fills the cap and blows around the rollers....

I sit on the couch and read a magazine or surf the web for 30 minutes or so and if my hair is dry, I remove the rollers.

This sounds like a lot of work, but its really not. The only work is putting the rollers in, and once you learn how to do that, its pretty easy. Sitting on the couch under the dryer is very relaxing.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 PM

It does sound like a lot of work. =/

I do not think I would be able to do it with my RA....

Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,658,635 times
Only use a comb when your hair is wet.Do not use the brush unless it is right before you wash it.Fredric Fekkai makes a really good curl conditioner-it is pricey but lasts for ever. Also easy with the airdryer.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:36 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,684,987 times
I started life with straight blond hair, but puberty gave me curly brown hair. I've struggled to tame my curly/frizzy hair for decades with limited success. I spend a lot of time fixing my hair only to have it poof out when I go outside regardless of the amount of product I use. I just got the courage to try a keratin treatment to straighten my curly hair and I love the results. For the first time since childhood, my hair is straight, soft, and manageable. I now wake up in the morning with good looking hair and only have to run a brush through it once and I'm ready for the day. To say I'm thrilled and amazed is an understatement. I hope I can maintain this.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:15 AM

466 posts, read 582,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I posted about my hair before, with the chemo drug I have to take changing the texture and making it curly. Only the back is curly and it is getting really curly!
The front is still almost all straight with a little wave. I have no idea what to do with it! It is actually really pretty but of course, it doesn't match the front. The underneath does get a few knots that I have to try and get out.
I have to brush the front because when I get up it looks...well like it needs to be brushed. Then I brush the back and it does not look good.
I wash and condition it at night and run a wide tooth comb through it and let it air dry. Normally I brush it in the am. I feel like brushing it makes the back look funny so now I am using the wide tooth comb and it is not as bad.
What do I do with this curly hair?
So glad the chemo drug is not making your hair fall out but only curling it apparently only at the back. Could it be possible that if you trim the front and sides to be as short as the back the hair there might curl as well?
I didn't have chemo but 15 weeks of intense radiotherapy and this made my hair brittle, break, lose its shine, go completely limp. Unlike you my hair is dead straight! In another post earlier I mentioned what my hairdresser recommended, Pro Naturals Hair Repair System and I am eternally grateful to her. It might help you as well, take a read for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care