Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:56 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,367 times

Advertisements

My hair is naturally thick and curly. While I love the look and styles of straight hair, my hair is very difficult to straighten (it takes a professional hair stylist 45-50 minutes) and then it curls back up with any humidity (i.e., doing the dishes, giving the kids a bath, stepping outside ). So.....needless to say, I just have my hair cut into a manageable style and I let it go curly. But other than a brief time in the 80's, curly hair has been out of style my whole life and I want to look somewhat hip and trendy . Will curly hair ever come back in style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:02 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
It's my opinion your hair has never been out of styel. It's classic and to be envied. I'd give anything to have your hair.

Last edited by laysayfair; 05-18-2008 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-18-2008, 09:21 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Thumbs up Curly Hair

I LOVE curly hair on a woman.

Curly like:

Katharine McPhee
Kim Kardashian
The lead singer from the Pussycat Dolls

Is this how your hair is? If so then wow.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Curly hair is always in style! That's why they invented curling irons, rollers and perms. Do you see a stylist who is great with curly hair? It is important that you have a stylist who works with your natural texture and creates a beautiful shape and knows how to use the proper products to enhance your curls.

I have stick strait hair, but my stylist has curly hair and it's gorgeous, and she is young and very hip, she loves it and works with curly haired clients so they can see their natural beauty rather than fighting it.

Last edited by detshen; 05-18-2008 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 AM

172 posts, read 769,287 times
Curly hair is sexy and will always be in style. Women pay big bucks to get the look you have. Find the right products and sport your natural curls. I am sure you look great.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:08 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
Its not about whats in style - it is what works for you - get it styled by someone who knows curly hair - let it grow long and wild - I wish I had curly hair!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Its not about whats in style - it is what works for you - get it styled by someone who knows curly hair - let it grow long and wild - I wish I had curly hair!
Exactly. You always want what you don't have Find a stylist who knows how to cut curly hair and embrace its beauty.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Curly hair is always in style! That's why they invented curling irons, rollers and perms. Do you see a stylist who is great with curly hair? It is important that you have a stylist who works with your natural texture and creates a beautiful shape and knows how to use the proper products to enhance your curls.

I have stick strait hair, but my stylist has curly hair and it's gorgeous, and she is young and very hip, she loves it and works with curly haired clients so they can see their natural beauty rather than fighting it.
Thanks for the encouragement! I just found a stylist a few months ago who loves curly hair; he said it will take a couple hair cuts to get my hair "back on track" so to speak. Other stylists were basically cutting it wrong. So hopefully this will help! Next time you're at your stylist, do you mind asking what products she uses? My hair tends to get frizzy in the summer. Also, what does her hair look like-is it long, short...how does she wear it to look hip? Mine is almost shoulder-length...the new hair stylist guy thinks I should grow it longer.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I LOVE curly hair on a woman.

Curly like:

Katharine McPhee
Kim Kardashian
The lead singer from the Pussycat Dolls

Is this how your hair is? If so then wow.
I think the difference between my hair and these women is mine is thicker and curlier so it can get crazy sometimes. Maybe if I grow it longer, it will weigh it down some? Can you think of any other curly haired ladies for hair style ideas? I'm 38 years old so the above ladies are a little young for me to try to copy (although, you're right, they are very sexy!). But I also don't want to look like a soccer mom. What do you think of Sara Jessica Parker's hair?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:49 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! I just found a stylist a few months ago who loves curly hair; he said it will take a couple hair cuts to get my hair "back on track" so to speak. Other stylists were basically cutting it wrong. So hopefully this will help! Next time you're at your stylist, do you mind asking what products she uses? My hair tends to get frizzy in the summer. Also, what does her hair look like-is it long, short...how does she wear it to look hip? Mine is almost shoulder-length...the new hair stylist guy thinks I should grow it longer.
Her hair is long, it seems to have some shorter pieces that are separated around her face. It's a very simple style, I'm not sure what makes it look hip, it just does. She told me she stopped straitening it a few years ago, and now she loves it. A lot of it may be her confidence, she's not skinny, but she dresses very stylish and just has an overall hip confident appearance. She has the kind of look anyone can achieve if they have confidence in themselves. I can ask about products next time I go, but your stylist should also have some ideas, did he put some product in when he styled it?

There is an actress on a CW show who used to wear her hair curly, this season she has it straitened. I liked the curly hair a lot better. Her hair is shoulder length. You can use your hair to stand out from the crowd, think of it as an asset to flaunt.

Here's a link to the site of a famous stylist who works with curly hair and has designed products, maybe you can find some tips here.

For Luxurious, Sexy Curls without the Frizz: Ouidad--Free That Curl!

Last edited by detshen; 05-19-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care