Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 05:12 PM

672 posts, read 5,823,161 times

Advertisements

I'm a woman in my early 30's who is starting to notice the gray more and more. It's not very much, but it's getting noticeable.

I have never dyed my hair and don't really want to start, but this gray doesn't look good the way it is now. I would prefer the most low-committment option possible, though I've read that highlighting really doesn't cover up gray. I'm also willing to go to a salon rather than doing it myself, but I really don't want the maintenance and expense of having to go to a salon every 6 weeks for touch-ups in terms of permanent color if at all possible.

What are my options for covering a little bit of gray? I'm a brunette.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:30 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,811,002 times
If you don't have to wash your hair very often, a temporary rinse might work and will last a while. Some grays, however, may turn blondish. The good thing is if you don't like it, the more you wash, the faster it will go away. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I'm a woman in my early 30's who is starting to notice the gray more and more. It's not very much, but it's getting noticeable.

I have never dyed my hair and don't really want to start, but this gray doesn't look good the way it is now. I would prefer the most low-committment option possible, though I've read that highlighting really doesn't cover up gray. I'm also willing to go to a salon rather than doing it myself, but I really don't want the maintenance and expense of having to go to a salon every 6 weeks for touch-ups in terms of permanent color if at all possible.

What are my options for covering a little bit of gray? I'm a brunette.

Thanks!

I noticed a trend going on (especially in Arizona) that a lot of women, who are going gray, bleach their hair to blonde. Because I guess the blonde camouflages the gray better and isn't as noticeable. (but no way am I going blonde. Not me!!).

I'm a dark brunette (midnight brown;brown-black shade) and I love it. I think when I go gray I'll just keep coloring it that color, but I think I'll start using Loving Care, which isn't permanent, but washes out after 20 shampoos. That's good.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:50 PM

187 posts, read 614,096 times
Semi permanent is the way to go it will just make you look highlighted. And you wont have that line of demarkation growing out either. Go to a stylist though so you dont get brassy or orange. Its only about 40 bucks or so.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:44 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,916 times
I use Clairol's Natural Instinct to cover up the bit of gray that I have. It's a semi-permanent, which is perfect for those who don't have a great deal of gray. It wears out gently, (like all semi-permanent colors), so that you don't have a root problem. I use mine about every eight weeks. I use a color that is fairly close to my own, (or maybe just a shade darker, but that's it), so it's not a real radical change, either when I use it, or as it wears out, and it's not brassy or orange, (at least that's been my experience). I wouldn't mind going to a hairstylist to have color done, but it's much cheaper for me to spend $8.00 per each box of coloring, as opposed to $40.00, or more, that a stylist would charge. That would fill up most of my gas tank, which is a heck of alot more important to me! Not to mention that I can color my hair whenever I am ready.

If you are interested in Clairol's products, they have a website, that can give you tips in picking the right color, and how to use it, etc. It's really not hard, and actually doesn't take that long to do it. Just always follow the instructions carefully.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:47 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,345,786 times
Try another hairstyle. The shorter your layers or the more texturized your hair is, the less the gray will show and the only maintenence is getting a haircut every few weeks to keep it up.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:43 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,001,365 times
I think I use the same as CelticLady - for me to give my hair more body (they say that hair color fills in the little hair cuticles). In any case, it works and is all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care