Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 12:43 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping there are some hair stylists here who can help me describe what I want to my hair stylist.

I have long hair (3-4 inches past bra strap length), cut in a v-shape, with layers and bangs. (My hair is moderately thick, and wavy/slightly curly).

I used to have someone who cut it just the way I want, but she moved and since then, no one seems to get it right.

What I want is the shortest layers, around the face, to end just below the lip area. This is pretty easy and everyone gets this part right. But the back is a different story.

In the back, I want the shortest layer to end at slightly above the base of the skull. Most people I have gone to end up making the back top layers much longer - some claim they have to in order to make the layers blend with the length.. I like shorter layers in the back because it then gives the back/top of my hair a lot more volume and movement as opposed to hanging like flat, heavy blanket.

On-line I've watched videos about "disconnected layers" and I wonder if that is what I need in the back?

Not sure if this is enough info to get advice, but if you need me to post more, let me know and I will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 05:38 PM

913 posts, read 886,321 times
You are going to have to go to a very experienced stylist in my opinion. I had tons of clients with hair such as yours who were looking for the same thing. In order to get that kind of layering and movement I used to sculp the layers kind of free hand. If you don't do this and just put in the standard type of layering, you will not blend to your length and it will look chopped up.
My best advice would be when you see someone with the style you are looking for, ask where they go. Don't feel funny approaching a perfect stranger, it will be a compliment for them and their stylist.
Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2015, 01:26 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
You are going to have to go to a very experienced stylist in my opinion. I had tons of clients with hair such as yours who were looking for the same thing. In order to get that kind of layering and movement I used to sculp the layers kind of free hand. If you don't do this and just put in the standard type of layering, you will not blend to your length and it will look chopped up.
My best advice would be when you see someone with the style you are looking for, ask where they go. Don't feel funny approaching a perfect stranger, it will be a compliment for them and their stylist.
Good Luck!
This is probably what I should do. I don't get why its such a big deal to have some shorter top layers in back- my old hair dresser wasn't even that experienced - she happened to like her own hair cut that way, so she knew how to do it to mine... ironically SHE could never find a hairdresser to her hair the way she wanted!

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2015, 07:01 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Good Luck!
Laura is absolutely right. You have to go to a stylist who knows how to work with your hair. The stylists you are going to are trying to blend in all your layers, so that the back of your hair does not look disconnected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care