Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 03:53 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times

Advertisements

My answer is to rinse it out in the stainless steel sink in the kitchen, end of discussion.

My husband refuses to do this. Over the years, he has done significant damage to 4 bathrooms. 1-stained tub & couldn't remove stains after heavy duty cleaning, security deposit withheld. 2-had to refinish cabinet. 3-had to replace flooring and refinish cabinet (which looks really crappy so we're replacing the cabinet). 4-large stain on shower surround, needs to be replaced.

He uses "Just for Men"or something similar that says you can rinse it out in the shower.

UGH. He does not see my point and will not use the kitchen sink. I've offered to do it for him--in the sink. He says everyone uses their shower.

So I ask...what do you use and how do you prevent it from staining?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 03:58 PM

1,273 posts, read 990,768 times
My hair color never stains and I use red with a color pigment enhancer. It will stain the crud out of finger nails and skin though. My only suggestion is putting down towels on surfaces and wiping up any spills or splashes immediately. We have white tile and grout in our shower and bathroom and none of it is damaged or stained. I've never used Just For Men so it may be more of an actual dye like the kind you use on clothes than a hair color like Color Silk. Maybe have him change up the brand he uses?

Old 10-31-2015, 04:04 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
You stop using those crappy overpriced box packs that run and splatter everywhere...!

When I do my hair I only do the roots and I mix it up myself.

Its a lot cheaper and it doesn't run stick and splash like those bought kits do. I don't even cover my bathroom basin anymore, just wipe it up as soon as Ive finished and - no stain.

You use about 1/8 of the quantity of the kits, also its in cream form so - doesn't run or splatter and is way, way cheaper.

And cleaner.

Last edited by cindersslipper; 10-31-2015 at 04:21 PM..

Old 10-31-2015, 04:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Worn and scratched enamel in bathtubs and sinks seems to be the problem. The dye seeps into the crevices and stays there. This might help:
https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/bathr.../clean-bathtub

Funny, but they don't warn anyone about this on the dye packaging, do they? Lol.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:21 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I use henna. It will dye your fingers and skin too, (I never bother with gloves) but it only lasts a little while if you don't let it dry on it. I have noticed if you have a little oil on a surface it doesn't stain. I always rinse in the metal sink but the stuff tends to drip a bit too if you mix it too thin.

I've never had problems with the shower for rinsing since it doesn't linger. But I point the shower head down so it goes into the drain rather than splattering.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Worn and scratched enamel in bathtubs and sinks seems to be the problem. The dye seeps into the crevices and stays there. This might help:
https://www.cleanipedia.com/gb/bathr.../clean-bathtub

Funny, but they don't warn anyone about this on the dye packaging, do they? Lol.
They do say wear gloves, so I guess they are assuming people are smart enough to figure out if it makes your fingers red it will stain your old bathtub too...

Old 10-31-2015, 04:26 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
You stop using those crappy overpriced box packs that run and splatter everywhere...!

When I do my hair I only do the roots and I mix it up myself.

Its a lot cheaper and it doesn't run stick and splash like those bought kits do. I don't even cover my bathroom basin anymore, just wipe it up as soon as Ive finished and - no stain.

You use about 1/8 of the quantity of the kits, also its in cream form so - doesn't run or splatter and is way, way cheaper.

And cleaner.
I posted a thread RE: coloring my hair at home vs. going to the salon just a few days ago and someone, perhaps yourself, suggested doing the roots in between salon visits. I've never tried that, but it sounds like a great idea, since I have very long thick hair, I use blue black color, and blue black hair dye and bright white porcelain don't mix

Old 10-31-2015, 04:42 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Yes it probably was me.

I have to do my roots once every 3 weeks.

It would cost me an absolute fortune to get it done professionally, let alone the TIME they take (who can be bothered sitting about for an hour or more?) and to be honest, I do a better job!

You need to go to a professional supply shop, buy the bowl the brush the peroxide and whatever colour best matches, mix it up 50/50 and hey ho! It would be about 1/8 cup total I use each time so its literally less than $2 to do.

I'm so good now it takes me 10 minutes to do my roots literally.

I paint around the front hairline first then split my part, put roughly 2/3 on the right side of my head which is far greyer, the remaining 1/3 on the left side.

I put the dregs on my eyebrows which are fair.

I always use gloves so then I can massage the cream through the roots with my hands.

Then I tie my hair up, strip off my gloves, and clean whatever hit the basin, these days hardly a speck.

gloves off, relax for 30 mins, shower and wash out as usual. It just lifts out alongside the shampoo so goes straight down the drain. No splatter because its all creamy and thoroughly massaged through my head. My tiles are utterly pristine.

Honestly I don't know how women can sit in those salons for so much of their lives. Those places are like the dentist to me, full of underskilled overpriced sadists who may/may not be having a bad day. Best avoided.

Justcuts for a trim only - $29. Those girls are good.

I will go once a year to a proper salon for an even up but honestly? it actually IS even. I had a pic taken recently in the sun and my hair was a pretty and natural looking red, all the way through.

Sometimes I will put a peroxide streak through too, just for the hell of it. Usually on the underside somewhere so it peeks out.

The last time I spent $130 to get a colour and a cut she left a big chunk in my bangs. God that annoys me. I could do better at home.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:08 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Why didn't you resolve this years ago?

Most stains are fairly easy to get out if you attack them right away, so the trick would have been to force him to scrub and scrub and scrub right after showering. This would have annoyed him so much that he might have switched to the kitchen sink.

Tell him he's wrong that "everyone" uses their shower. I don't. What I do is rinse it in the bathroom sink which is easy to clean out right away. (For some people, including me, the idea of washing hair in the kitchen is distasteful.) Another possibility would be for your husband to switch to another brand, semi-permanent instead of permanent.

Your problem is that even the financial punishment hasn't affected him, so he hasn't much incentive. I don't suppose you have two bathrooms, so that you could use the second one, and tell him you refuse to wash that tub any more?

Old 10-31-2015, 10:43 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Why didn't you resolve this years ago?
Because I don't control his actions; he does, and no amount or variety of actions on my part affect his behavior.

Quote:
force him
All I can say to that is, "As if."
Quote:
to scrub and scrub and scrub right after showering
As someone else pointed out, these are the type of materials that do not safely respond to heavy scrubbing. In fact, doing so makes scratches in the surface that cause it to stain more easily. Bleach or cleanser soaking, followed by gentle rubbing and rinsing, is what cleans it. But if it's already scratched, that doesn't eliminate the problem.

Quote:
Another possibility would be for your husband to switch to another brand, semi-permanent instead of permanent.
Good idea. I will see about that.
Quote:
Your problem is that even the financial punishment hasn't affected him, so he hasn't much incentive.
Yep. Nothing is changing his mind.
Quote:
I don't suppose you have two bathrooms, so that you could use the second one, and tell him you refuse to wash that tub any more?
Oh I do exactly that. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop the expensive and unsightly property damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care